Wainwright's Toy Shop

Oldbloke

Found this advert in a 1964 Railway Modeller and wondered if anyone remembered this shop and where it was. It's unusual as there is no actual address in the ad.

wainwrights.jpg

Wainwright's South Yorkshire Ltd., drapers. 491 - 497 London Road (1965 directory).

The shop was on the L/H side a few doors before the bridge over the river Sheaf, heading out of town,  I think we have a photo on here somewhere.

Thanks Organgrinder. I must have seen it when I was a (very small) kid, but have no memory of it at all. It must have been quite a place though judging by the size.

Strange thing is that I always knew it as a drapers when I was a kid.

My aunt's sister worked there but I only ever went inside once and saw no toys.

I always waited outside whilst my mother went in and I never had the slightest suspicion that it was a toy shop.

Can't recall ever seeing any toys in the window either, or I would have wanted to go in.

I've walked past the shop thousands of times in my "toy loving" years and suddenly feel I've been cheated to learn about this now. 

I remember Wainwrights too. I used to love going in and looking at all the toys and trains. I remember the drapers but can't be sure of his name.