Laying Tram Tracks

SteveHB

The photo is full of interest. It could date from the early 1880s when the tramway was first opened, or from 1904 when it was extended and electrified. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of the clothing styles of those eras could suggest which date is correct - I would go for the latter.

It's notable that every boy and man in the photo is wearing a hat of some kind; I also note that the chap in the white coat, presumably a shop assistant, looks as if he could be Indian - if so he must surely have been one of the first in the area.

Hmm, it looks as if, now that it's been revealed as a photo of Chesterfield and not Sheffield, it's attracting no further interest. As I was born in Chesterfield but brought up in Sheffield I have a foot in both camps!

On 12/09/2015 at 09:43, Athy said:

The photo is full of interest. It could date from the early 1880s when the tramway was first opened, or from 1904 when it was extended and electrified. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of the clothing styles of those eras could suggest which date is correct - I would go for the latter.

It's notable that every boy and man in the photo is wearing a hat of some kind; I also note that the chap in the white coat, presumably a shop assistant, looks as if he could be Indian - if so he must surely have been one of the first in the area.

The horse tramway in Chesterfield ran from Low Pavement to Brampton. It was only when the line was electrified that it was extended through the town centre to Whittington, so this picture must date from 1904.

The picture appears in Tramtracks and Trolleybooms by Barry M Marsden (ISBN 0 9512793 3 5) where it is also described as looking down Knifesmithgate during the construction of the Whittington line.