Football Mail

boginspro

Has anyone any information about a newspaper called the Football Mail please. for instance who published it?

There seem to have been several independent "Football Mails".  The one most quoted and available is the Portsmouth one, with several early 1960 copies on ebay, (published at 170 Fleet Street, started in 1905), which in 1964 was published by Portsmouth and Sunderland Newspapers Ltd, along with a Hartlepool version (from Newspaper and Magazine Personnel and Data, World's Press News 1964). The same source also mentions also a paper of the same name published in  Burton - the proprietor was the Burton Daily Mail Ltd . In 1968 Benn's Newspaper Press Directory gave details of the Burton version: published Saturdays, cost 3d, Head Office 65-68 High Street, Gen.Mgr and Editor D.H.Hadfield, Proprietors Burton Daily Mail Ltd, Advertising rate per s.c. in 7s 6d etc..

The Willing's Press Guide and Advertiser's Directory and Handbook for 1913 gives the names of 3 papers of the same name: Football Mail (Portsmouth), Football Mail (Hull), Football Mail (West Hartlepool)

Sorry I should have made it clear that I meant Football Mail in Sheffield. I had seen a photograph from the early 1900's which shows a large advertisement on a building at the top of Fargate, "Football Mail 1d" I thought I could not publish that photograph because I did not know who to credit but I have now found the same or similar photograph on (C) Picture Sheffield.http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s15664&pos=337&action=zoom&id=18420

football_mail.jpg

Was it the forerunner to the Green Un.?

That is a possibility I was thinking of but I think the immediate forerunner of the Green Un was the Sports Special.