Windows 10

SteveHB

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 0:03 AM, SteveHB said:

I woud not advise turning/switching off updates, updates contain essential security upgrades, needed to keep the OS running smooth.

Not my advice Steve, advice from the net given by those wanting to remain with earlier Windows versions

I turned off updates completely way back in August. I check manually every now and again, but as no information is forthcoming on which updates do what any more I'm not inclined to update anything at the moment. I'll stay with Windows 7 until this machine dies.

1 hour ago, Oldbloke said:

I turned off updates completely way back in August. I check manually every now and again, but as no information is forthcoming on which updates do what any more I'm not inclined to update anything at the moment. I'll stay with Windows 7 until this machine dies.

I'm the same. I dare not risk any Windows 10 upgrade. I regard Windows 10 as a horrible virus that should never have left the planning stage at Microsoft. You cannot update the operating system without changing the motherboard. It's always has been the case in the past, with every Windows change. But Microsoft knew people would not switch due to what happened with Windows 8. So they have cobbled together a half baked operating systems that is being sent down in bits!  

Some of my software struggles with Windows 7, so how it would cope with 10 I dread to think. There are a few people on FixYa that I have had to tell that Windows 10 doesn't work with Software they have and never will. One program called Printmaster used something that was withdrawn when Windows 8 came out, but people moving from 7 to 10 have bypassed that and as 10 is just 8 under a new name it also has the thing that Printmaster used missing.

I have noticed that there is a growing trend these days that replacement software is just not coming out for old programs. With software companies vanishing bit by bit. Leaving only well known software around. But I find these packed with new features that you don't really need, while things that are useful not catered for, or removed.

The situation seems worst in the DTP field. With very few offering a really good product at a reasonable price.

I also have loads of Video editing software too. But I recently tried to make a multi track DVD and all of them crashed during construction of it. I have ordered the latest Magix one. Hopefully they will have corrected the issues that cause it to crash a lot, but I doubt it!  

Same here, I have programs that worked ok from Windows 2000 through XP and 7 but will not work on 8 onwards. The other thing that worries me is that 10 can stop any software that Micros**t thinks may be hooky from running. I have quite a few programs that are modified, either by me or others to do specific things, if they did work under 10 but then were zapped I'd be stuck as none are available now and there are no alternatives. I could possibly get some of them running under WINE, but I already know the main ones don't work (although they run), but I have been informed that is more than they do under 10. 

I have no doubt that if all you do is Bookface and Witless with a bit of online banking Windows 10 is fine, but I do none of those. I certainly don't want or need to store any of my data or passwords in 'The Cloud' either.

I have found the "bit" that stops a lot of software running on Windows 10, due to the fact that it was removed for windows 8.

Microsoft is no longer supporting .Net Framework 1.1.

Presumably all you need do is check with the instructions or the box (if you kept it) to see if the software requires the above. If it does it won't work and never will with Windows 10.

So far I have been lucky with Windows 10 in that all my legacy programs, most of which date back to the Windows 98 operating system all work under windows 10. although a couple are a bit quirky now. First time I tried Win 10 last July nothing much worked at all, but since giving it a second chance for 2016 so far it has been fine. The main difference I made to avoid problems was not connecting everything on the computer to a Microsoft / Hotmail / OneDrive account.

Software development seems to follow the "Tom Edison principle of invention" as does all modern electronic hardware (especially computers and phones) development. The simple problem seems to be they have already produced equipment and software that does everything you would ever want to do on a computer and have nothing new left to offer, so rather than go out of business when everyone has bought the stuff they make subtle little insignificant and cosmetic changes so they can sell exactly the same stuff again. Edisons principle by the way is "Why invent something once when you can reinvent it thousands of times" First make something new that hardly works, - and sell it Then improve it just slightly, - not too much mind, - then sell it again When everyone has bought it then improve it just slightly more, - and sell it again By doing this you can maximise sales and prolong the life of your company by giving each previous product a built in calculated obsolescence. Microsoft have been doing this since they started, - in fact each of their products comes with a "life support cycle" Load Windows 95 into a computer, switch it on and it works, it still does exactly what it was designed to do 21 years ago, there is nothing wrong with it. Unfortunately it can't handle modern software running on it and cannot be expanded with modern hardware so nobody wants it anymore, - exactly what Microsoft had planned when they introduced it.

Edison and Ford were big mates and they both just wanted to maximise profits, - particularly Ford when he introduced mass production techniques on the model T. I hate it when car companies announce their "new car" (like when Ford replaced the well loved Cortina with the Mondeo in the early 1980s) which isn't a "new car" at all. By "new car" they effectively mean that some art and design student has reshaped a few bits of the bodywork and painted a go faster stripe down the side, - but lift the bonnet up and its practically the same old engine that they were using on the model T. If it really is a "new car" why doesn't it do over 200 miles per gallon instead of 50 and have practically near zero emmisions?

Here's an interesting thought if you got rid of cars you could reduce the size of every city down to a fraction of what it was. Just look at Meadowhall. The actually buildings for the shops and having thousand of people in it take up very little space at all. What takes up more space is the transport needed to get there.

Computers are not really the same as cars though. The technology for them has change much more than it has for cars. If you compare them with computers, cars would by now only need to top up with a pint of fuel once a week!

When I started with computers I was on a Amstrad PC 512. You could only store about 500k on a floppy disc. I now have back up discs, not much bigger than the floppy, which store 2TB!

I can now make Hollywood style movies on my home PC with software that costs under £50.  

Looking back it's amazing what we achieved with my first computer, a ZX81 with 1KB memory and you supplied your own storage in the form of a cassette recorder, but then I also drove a Reliant Robin .  My last car had a computer to manage the engine, I thiink it may have been a ZX81.

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 7:33 PM, SteveHB said:

Just had a whacking great upgrade to Windows 10, shut my computer down without prior warning, was inoperable for around an hour.

Thank you Micro$oft!

Finally got this upgrade last night Steve.
Fortunately, - mainly thanks to your warning, I was able to schedule it at a time I wasn't doing much.
Altogether it took 4 hours before the computer was usable again. It installed OK but had messed up a lot of settings (silly things like screen brightness) that needed putting back, logons that had to be asked for again (just as a security measure you know), false security warnings as Windows 10 tries to run Defender rather than any other security program, - even though the alternative is up and running and doing a better job of things. It had not messed up any programs or data though (which is good) but for ages it did run very slowly and "locked up" occasionally while it was doing other things in the background.
However, now it is finished all seems fine again.

There were also some changes to the Windows Edge browser in that update.
I have made the previous post using Edge and the "duplicate post" problem seems to have gone.
Wonder if this one is OK, - I may be speaking too soon.

3 hours ago, andy1702 said:

Why would anyone want Windows 10? I've not had a Windows computer for over 5 years now and I'd certainly NEVER have anything Apple! The only thing I use is Linux Mint with the Matte desktop. It's a totally free download and all the software is free for it too. It looks a bit like Windows XP so is familiar to most people. None of those stupid Microsoft tiles and all that rubbish. But the real advantage is it runs way faster than any version of Windows and doesn't continually update itself and fill your system with bloatware like Microsoft operating systems do.

The other problem with Windows 10 is the fact it steals your information (why do you think they made it free?) They make money, not by selling you the software, but by selling the information you give them on things like, time online, which websites you visit, what you buy, what TV shows you watch etc.

My advice would be to wipe any trace of Windows or iOS off your machine immediately, format your drives and install whatever flavour of Linux best suits you. Ubuntu and Mint are two of the most popular and they are all totally FREE! lol

I agree entirely  andy1702    I have not used any Microsoft product for about ten years, just Linux and BSD. On my laptop I currently have Linux Lite, LXLE and two versions of Puppy Linux bootable from CD with settings saved in squash files. I also have a few versions of Linux that run from USB sticks so plenty of choice. I keep a separate partition for my data so if I fancy a change I can just pick and install any Linux OS. I have never found anything I can not do, usually better and always faster than Windows. Whenever I have to use or mend a friends Windows system I find it very slow and annoying, so I can't figure out why anyone would use it, is it the power of advertising? I don't know, it can't be a technical thing because Linux is more user friendly than Windows and as you say you can even make it look like Windows.

Not a lot of use when it won't run Windoze programs (not apps!) though. Most people just want things to work out of the box (windows+work = oxymoron I know).

I've been running Linux of various pedigrees for around 20 years, did a lot of stuff with Knoppix a while back with my mates in Germany.

Most of the stuff I've written/ developed over the years has been for Windoze though, so I've had to have at least two or three windows machines, sometimes with up to three different versions. Most of the stuff is getting very long in the tooth now though it just refuses to die, people insist to continue using it despite updates ceasing many moons ago.

These days I'm down to just one machine which has all my stuff on it, so it has to be Windoze 7. I already know that 10 won't run half of the stuff I use (tested on a mates machine) so I shall stick with 7 until I can be @rsed to remove the DVD drive and install another internal drive for *nix. Need to keep windows for the mixer interface I use - can't afford a new mixer, this one will see me out TVM.

10 isn't going to happen here for sure.

The free upgrade to windows 10 is over and you now have to pay for it. Interestingly enough it is estimated out of the people who could upgraded to windows 10, only about 20% have actually upgraded. This is despite it being free and a very heavy computer "press" lobby telling people to upgrade to Windows 10. There's no doubt it's a dismal failure for Microsoft, who expected far more people to upgrade from Windows 7 then actually did. They are unlikely to get people to pay for Windows 10, except those who purchase a new computer, because they need to! 

It's good news for Linux people and if they can persuade the software companies to make games and video editing more friendly with the Linux system, they will win over more Windows 7 users as and when the support for Windows 7 comes to and in in 2020.