Windows 10

SteveHB

Can you give me more information on this please, a link would be handy, I don't use Windows at all but I do know people who still use XP and would like to pass this information on to them.

Here you go boginspro, http://www.ghacks.net/2014/05/24/get-security-updates-windows-xp-april-2019/

I have used it numerous times and it works, copy & paste the code, (it has to be a ' text document' ie. windows Notepad, not WordPad.

Or download the zipped folder, named:  'xp-security-updates.zip',  it is safe.

Extract to desktop in Windows XP & 'double left click' on the reg file.

Here you go boginspro, http://www.ghacks.net/2014/05/24/get-security-updates-windows-xp-april-2019/

I have used it numerous times and it works, copy & paste the code, (it has to be a ' text document' ie. windows Notepad, not WordPad.

Or download the zipped folder, named:  'xp-security-updates.zip',  it is safe.

Extract to desktop in Windows XP & 'double left click' on the reg file.

Thanks  SteveHB   I am sure that will be invaluable to some friends of mine and anyone with an older computer who doesn't want to move away from Windows.

Has anyone had a problem getting on to Google lately? I keep getting this box saying it is all about data

protection  and needs to be answered before Google is available then to click on " next" .

As for now I haven't done anything but it still won't go away, I just wondered if there's any way round this

and if it is genuine?

Has anyone had a problem getting on to Google lately? I keep getting this box saying it is all about data

protection  and needs to be answered before Google is available then to click on " next" .

As for now I haven't done anything but it still won't go away, I just wondered if there's any way round this

and if it is genuine?

I did have the Google data protection question, it asked me to add my mobile phone number,
which I am reluctant to disclose, so left the box blank and carried on. Not had any problems since.

and if it is genuine?

https://myaccount.google.com/

I did have the Google data protection question, it asked me to add my mobile phone number,
which I am reluctant to disclose, so left the box blank and carried on. Not had any problems since.

Thanks Steve, I've tried it and it works fine although it never asked me for my mobile number.

Better safe than sorry.

Threshold two is apparently not going to come down in one big lump as previously thought. Instead it will come in partial updates. The good news for those that don't want 10 is that Microsoft have announced that Windows 10 files for conversion to it will come down as "optional". They are going to reissue the window icon thing again that sits on the taskbar, changed so that those who still want to update and can't for some reason will be able to. However there will be an option on it that will ask you if you want Windows 10 and you can say "NO". In which case Microsoft says you won't get any files that want to change your system to 10. However I will believe that when it happens!!

Those waiting for the add ons to the EDGE browser, will have to wait a lot longer. There are not been added to the next update (TH2). Latest estimate is now June 2016 for them to be added.

Monthly Microsoft updates November 2015 for Windows 7 based systems. I have just installed this months updates. There were 31 of them including the Microsoft Office and .NET framework updates Some of them were the dreaded KB security updates. All installed easily and so far (???) none of them have tried to force Windows 10 back onto my computer.

Nothing to do with Windows 10, but after Tuesdays updates tonight I am offered update KB3097877 separately, a "critical update" for Windows 7 systems.
As I now check out the KB updates before installing them it turns out that this one, when installed, prevents Microsoft Outlook from working, messes up network settings, removes the Windows 7 gadgets completely and in some cases has prevented the user from logging on to their own computer. The initial update, also numbered KB3097877, did this, but todays update is supposed to be a fix for Windows 7 only (the original update could also disable the touchscreen on Windows 8 systems) is apparently no better.
Update hidden and not installed.
Is this the new Microsoft ploy for dealing with Windows 7 and 8 users who don't update to Windows 10?
As Microsoft no longer care about Win 7 & 8 now that they have forced 10 onto users why not just issue useless security updates to the older systems that just mess things up and annoy the users into installing Win 10?

The December monthly update again went through without incident, including some KB ones.
However, Microsoft Update has just tried to offer me KB3035583 again, on a Friday night, separate from other updates and marked "important"
This is the update that restores the Windows 10 nag screens and update
Needless to say I have disabled it
Got to hand it to Microsoft though they don't give up do they
10 out 10 for them for being persistently annoying

11 minutes ago, SteveHB said:

Not had any problems with my Windows 7 PC's, neither am I encountering any major problems with the Windows 10 box (PC).

Should add, that all my Win 7 computers have been through the Win 10 upgrade process, and then I reinstalled Win 7 from disk image.

New Year, New start, new try.

Having successfully installed Windows 10 on both my sons windows 8 computer and my wife's new (comes with Windows 8.1 but ready to upgrade to 10) and seen it working at its best it was slightly bugging me that my Windows 7 would not update properly without messing up files and settings and that many of the windows 10 features were not working, - so I decided to give it a second try over the new year.

First off I recloned my computer with an updated copy of the Windows 7 system so that it could easily be reinstated if anything went wrong, I also backed up all my files and data separately in case Windows 10 worked but corrupted the files, - I even made sure I had copies or downloaded installers and copies of all licence keys to reinstall the programs separately as I was prepared to go as far as doing a clean install of windows 10 and then put the software and data back over time on a need to use basis.

Secondly I restored the hidden windows 7 updates so that the windows 10 nags came back (which they did immediately) and then told them to install Windows 10. The update took about 4 to 5 hours before the computer was usable in Windows 10 form, - but I do have a lot of stuff on my computer which automatically gets transferred from 7 to 10 and then all the programs have to be reconfigured so it takes a lot longer than a clean install, which you can't do directly from windows 7 due to product key / licencing issues. The update did not proceed as it had done last year and it did not ask me lots of questions for setup, - it just got on with it, this is probably due to a Windows 10 update which came out in October.

Once installed Windows 10 worked, - it was not slow and sluggish like it had been previously, programs opened and worked as they should, all data was available and most programs started from the point where windows 7 had left them. Even the date was now displayed in my preferred date/ month/ year format. I was not asked initially to log on with a Windows account so it didn't steal my administrator rights like it had done last time (leaving me as a guest on my own computer and having to ask for access to every file I wanted to access each time) but when I did log on later again that worked properly. All the windows 10 "apps" worked this time, - including the Edge browser, the mail client and the video player, none of which had worked properly or even at all first time round.

There were some problems but they were relatively minor, a few programs did not work without glitches, these were manly older programs I had kept for legacy reasons and were designed for windows XP or earlier (Windows 98) so are probably no longer compatible but I haven't lost anything I can't manage without, or I can't get back buy buying the latest version. Some programs had "lost" their registration details and reverted to trial versions or just "expired". These were reinstated by just putting the licence keys back (which I had saved) and it worked again. The worst problem is that my wireless printer/scanner no longer works. To be honest it wasn't working that well on windows 7 either and I think it has "driver issues" which need putting right. Not done it yet but I will try uninstalling it and reinstalling from new, then updating drivers.

The only bit of windows 10 itself that didn't work was the new assistant "Cortana". Cortana wouldn't switch on because "It is not available in your region" It then gives a long list of "Regions in which Cortana is available" which includes "United Kingdom" and finishes by telling me "Your current region is set to, - United Kingdom" !!!!!! (Don't you just love these idiotic, contradictory and totally unhelpful bits of information). However, after a lot of googling and clicking on various bits of Microsoft help it turns out Cortana has to have its language set to match the region. Sounds simple enough, but windows 10 has at least 3 language settings, - system language, display language, voice language. 2 of these were set to English (English) but the third was set to English (US). Once this was altered Cortana immediately came to life and asked me (annoyingly) what it could help me with !!!!

Having now had a better experience of Windows 10 I think this time I will be sticking with it.
I do have my Windows 7 clone, so I can always go back, even after the month has passed after the upgrade in which Windows 10 lets you switch back from its own backup old file.
Once running properly Windows 10 seems OK
However, Microsoft would have you believe that the upgrade from Windows 7 / 8/ 8.1 to 10 is quick, easy and faultless, - it isn't.

3 hours ago, DaveH said:

New Year, New start, new try.

Having successfully installed Windows 10 on both my sons windows 8 computer and my wife's new (comes with Windows 8.1 but ready to upgrade to 10) and seen it working at its best it was slightly bugging me that my Windows 7 would not update properly without messing up files and settings and that many of the windows 10 features were not working, - so I decided to give it a second try over the new year.

I see you have a dupicate post again Dave lol

Are you going to remove one of them, or shall I?

5 hours ago, SteveHB said:

I see you have a dupicate post again Dave lol

Are you going to remove one of them, or shall I?

I've deleted one of them Steve, hopefully the other one is still there as it was a long post.
I was not aware of the duplication, I wonder if its because I am now using Edge browser again?
Edge does some to be better than it was before
No idea why I am getting this duplication, - it does not happen on Facebook for example.
I wonder if this post will be in duplicate when I press the submit reply button?

Yes it duplicated it !!!!!!
I have already deleted it
I suppose this one will do the same.
It's going to be a bit of a bind posting and then having to delete a copy each time
Any ideas how to sort this one out?

11 hours ago, DaveH said:

Yes it duplicated it !!!!!!
I have already deleted it
I suppose this one will do the same.
It's going to be a bit of a bind posting and then having to delete a copy each time
Any ideas how to sort this one out?

Sorry Dave can't help out with that problem, I don't use the Edge browser, on Windows 10 I use Firefox.

No idea why I am getting this duplication, - it does not happen on Facebook for example

Facebook is not a forum as such, it uses a different system/software if compaired to here or the Sheffield Forum.

I do have Firefox on my computer but rarely use it. It has been transferred successfully from Windows 7 to Windows 10 but is hopelessly out of date
Having updated from version 29 to version 43 (the latest version) in several steps I thought I would give it a try to see if duplicates every post.
Lets see what this one does

I installed Firefox 29 as the latest version when I retired in August 2014, and now, January 2016 they are on Firefox 43.
That's 14 versions in 18 months, or about 1 new version every 5 to 6 weeks.
Is Firefox really that good if it needs updating with a new version this frequently?
It must be full of faults if they find something wrong and patch it up every few weeks.

Just had a whacking great upgrade to Windows 10, shut my computer down without prior warning, was inoperable for around an hour.

Thank you Micro$oft!

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 7:33 PM, SteveHB said:

Just had a whacking great upgrade to Windows 10, shut my computer down without prior warning, was inoperable for around an hour.

Thank you Micro$oft!

Not had that one yet Steve, - thanks for the warning.

Also, Microsoft are to become even more aggressive at "pushing" Windows 10 onto windows 7/8/8.1 computers which are eligible for the "free upgrade" and are likely to download it in the background without asking.
Top advice to avoid having Windows 10 forced onto you is to switch off Microsoft updates, - the updates that Microsoft are supposed to provide for quite a few years yet according to their own life support cycles for Windows 7/8/8.1

However, having got Windows 10 successfully installed now for over a month I am happy to stick with it, it seems good so far.
....and I always have my Windows 7 cloned onto another drive for if I ever want to go back.

1 hour ago, DaveH said:

Not had that one yet Steve, - thanks for the warning.

Also, Microsoft are to become even more aggressive at "pushing" Windows 10 onto windows 7/8/8.1 computers which are eligible for the "free upgrade" and are likely to download it in the background without asking.
Top advice to avoid having Windows 10 forced onto you is to switch off Microsoft updates, - the updates that Microsoft are supposed to provide for quite a few years yet according to their own life support cycles for Windows 7/8/8.1

However, having got Windows 10 successfully installed now for over a month I am happy to stick with it, it seems good so far.
....and I always have my Windows 7 cloned onto another drive for if I ever want to go back.

I woud not advise turning/switching off updates, updates contain essential security upgrades, needed to keep the OS running smooth.