Windows 10

SteveHB

I seem to recall having to stop the update service before removing some updates. I just had a look on my machine (which has had updates turned off for a week now and found  KB2952664. I've just removed it without problem (or so it seems, time will tell).

I had previously stopped downloading any updates that did not have "security" in their description. Now I will not download any more updates because I do not want Windows 10 and I do not trust Microsoft (I never did really but this palaver has really knocked the budgie off the perch). My machine is at risk? Well, it is if I let Microshaft anywhere near it.

And yes I've been using various shades of Linux for the last 20 odd years, but a) it just can't run the stuff I NEED to run and b ) my laptop drivers aren't available, which causes horrid battery life and overheating problems (go go go Toshiba - bleh).

I have just checked my computer for this KB2952664 update and I have it installed.
It was installed on 18 August so has been there nearly a month.
All of the KB numbered updates I installed 2 days ago had KB numbers starting 30 and not 29
So far KB2952664 has caused me no problems and I have not hidden it, so I will leave it be for now and see what, if anything, happens.

Windows 10 itself is like a virus.
Somewhere on my computer almost 3Gb of hard drive space is being "sat on" and taken out of use by the Windows 10 update.
It is currently hidden in Windows Update but it is not possible to find it or remove it
It does not have a KB number and cannot be located under its name of something like from memory "Windows 10 upgrade"
Good job hard drive memory is cheap and plentiful on my computer.
However, had it done this to a 16Gb tablet running Windows 8 then 3Gb is a fair proportion of your usable memory to be loosing.

Windows Update on Windows 7 seems to have 2 different ways of running, and you never know which one you are going to get. One of them is acceptable as you can pick and choose which updates you want, the other is not as it forces updates onto you.

Most of the time, while you are using the computer an icon appears in the task bar telling you new updates are available and that they are being downloaded. Once downloaded it tells you "New updates are ready to install, click here". Doing that opens windows update and starts the install, but manually opening Windows update at this point lists the updates by name, with KB numbers and each has a check box in front of it to select to install or not, - this is good, it gives you control over the updates.

Sometimes Windows never mentions that it is downloading updates at all, or tells you when they are ready. Instead it waits until you want to shut the computer down. At that point you notice a shield logo on the shut down button. Clicking the shut down button starts both the shut down process and the install process, there is no opt out and you are warned "Installing updates 1 of ??, do not disconnect or power off your computer". Now this is always annoying because there are always a lot of updates and they can take ages (well over an hour) to install and then the computer will insist on a restart just to finalise their installation, - could be up to 2 hours, and most people shut their computer down when they want to go out or go to bed for the night so to force them onto you like this is a bit annoying as you can't even pick a suitable time for installation. However, it never tells you what the updates are, - it just installs them, without naming them and only tells that for example it is "update 5 of 22". I strongly suspect that Microsoft will try to force Windows 10 onto those that don't want it by this "back door" method where the user has no control at all over the process.

Well they can't to me now I have switched off the update option. I believe that all they are offering now to Windows 7 users are security updates. But those other including KB2952664 is to prepare the computer for Windows 10. So I'm doing my best to get shut of it. Unfortunately even the threads on Microsoft do not answer the question and people are also reporting that you cannot uninstall KB2952664 no mater what you do to get shut of it. Restarting puts it back on as soon as you have removed it. One person thought there is another KB file putting it on. But nobody could or has confirmed that. It is either protected or has become like a virus, stuck in the system. Some uses are also reporting it has bad effects on the system, slowing it down.   

Not noticed any ill effects of it yet, I will post here if it does.
Fortunately for me, if I do need to remove it, my cloned drive which I can use to reinstall Windows 7 from was made on 28 July, which predates the installation of KB2952664 on 18 August. I could save all my data created between these dates separately, clone the drive back and then reinstall my data.
Hopefully that will still act as belt and braces protection against the Windows 10 invasion.

I think I have found the way to get shut of the KB2952664.

What you do is go to my computer. Select drive C then right click on it. This will bring up the properties. Now select "disc clean up". It will then calculate this for a while and produce a list of things to get shut off. However you don't want this. But on the new window with the files is another option to "clean up system files". Click that. It will calculate for a while and another window like the first one appears. You only need to select the Windows Update option, by ticking it. If any other option is ticked remove them. Then run clean up.

Go back to installed updates find KB2952664 and remove it. Then restart your computer. It might take 20 minutes or longer before it comes back on!

Incidentally on my Windows Update folder (these are back ups by the way) there was over 1GB of files!!!!

Once I had done that and searched installed updates KB2952664 could not be found!  

Incidentally on my Windows Update folder (these are back ups by the way) there was over 1GB of files!!!!

If Windows update has already downloaded Windows 10, and is reporting that "Windows 10 is ready to install" then that alone will be sat on nearly 3Gb of memory and I haven't worked out how to remove that yet because I can't find it anywhere. 

I don't think it will have downloaded DaveH. If you are getting that message it is because you have a few of those KB updates on your system. Some websites are reporting that Microsoft have decided that all Windows 7 users and Windows 8 should be sent Windows 10, even if they haven't requested it. So hard to get shut of updates are being sent out with updates that you might want.

I thought I had cleared the Windows 10 KB jobs out, till I went for the latest updates last week, it had clearly been placed back on the system as it said to me the same words as you are getting.

Incidentally some users who still want 10 ( I know NUTS)  are reporting that KB2952664 had become corrupt, so it wasn't allowing them to download Windows 10, nor could they get shut of it to replace it with the correct one! 

Incidentally some users who still want 10 ( I know NUTS)  are reporting that KB2952664 had become corrupt, so it wasn't allowing them to download Windows 10, nor could they get shut of it to replace it with the correct one! 

So that means for people like me and you that don't want Windows 10 all we need is the corrupt version of KB2952664 and it will stop Windows 10 being downloaded.
As I am no longer being offered Windows 10 (so far, so good) perhaps I have the required and desired corrupt version already.

Having described my experiences in going from Windows 7, which I like, to Windows 10, which I think is rubbish, and back to Windows 7 again, which is working OK so far since reverting back, here are my wife's experiences .
She recently got a new laptop. Being "new" it comes with Windows 8.1 and is eligible for the free Windows 10 upgrade.
I tried out Windows 8 for the first time on it and as it was absolute crap. It is worse than Windows 10 was when I tried it on my own computer.
So, for those going from Windows 8 to Windows 8 to 10 it is probably a genuine upgrade and they will, in my opinion, be getting something better (perhaps)
I then started to do an install of Windows 10 over the unused (in terms of added programmes and user files)
How long does it take without the added complication of lots of legacy stuff like I had on mine and on a new computer?
Some claim 20 minute, 45 minutes or about an hour.
Well so far it has taken nearly 3 hours to install, - OK that includes waiting for the 3Gb download as well, but with Virgin Medias 152 Mb/s top speed that shouldn't take that long.
How good is it now its installed?
Others tell me Windows 10 works great from a clean install and doesn't have the problems I encountered with a "cluttered install"
However, as my wife uses this computer over the coming weeks we shall have to wait and see, - this will be my test of Windows 10.

Windows 10 installed and so far it seems to be working well.
What I find really annoying is that it has automatically put dates unto the proper dd/nn/yyyy format but when I installed it a month ago that wasn't even an option.

I think I have found the way to get shut of the KB2952664.

What you do is go to my computer. Select drive C then right click on it. This will bring up the properties. Now select "disc clean up". It will then calculate this for a while and produce a list of things to get shut off. However you don't want this. But on the new window with the files is another option to "clean up system files". Click that. It will calculate for a while and another window like the first one appears. You only need to select the Windows Update option, by ticking it. If any other option is ticked remove them. Then run clean up.

Go back to installed updates find KB2952664 and remove it. Then restart your computer. It might take 20 minutes or longer before it comes back on!

Once I had done that and searched installed updates KB2952664 could not be found!  

In the latest updates tonight KB 2952664 was pushed at me again and the Windows 10 notification reappeared.
As History dude mentioned a month ago, this update cannot easily be removed
However, KB 2952664 comes as an update with KB 3035583.
I could not remove KB2952664 but KB 3035583 removed normally
After the restart required after removing updates the Win 10 notification had again gone, - and so had KB 2952664 !!!!
By then running windows update check for new updates the same updates reappeared as ready to install, so I hid them so they can't come back, - at least until Microsoft "force" them back with another set of updates!
It took 10 minutes for these updates to install, and about 3 hours for me to get rid of them again.
So far then, its Microsoft 1, DaveH 2 in this game of installing - blocking Windows 7
Having used Windows 7 successfully now on my wife's computer I suppose I will eventually switch to it, - but on my terms and not Microsof'ts.

Dave.

Are are these notifications you are receiving on the same PC that was upgraded to W10, and then downgraded back to W7?

I have upgraded two PC's to W10, and then gone back to W7, not had any problems.

Dave.

Are are these notifications you are receiving on the same PC that was upgraded to W10, and then downgraded back to W7?

Yes Steve its the same computer.
However when I "downgraded ???" back to Windows 7 I didn't do it using the built in Windows 10 "revert to previous version" as it had already messed up my filing system.
I reverted back to Windows 7 by cloning it to a USB hard drive before installing Windows 10, then copying the clone back to reinstall Windows 7 in exactly the state it was in when the clone copy was made.
The main problem seems to be Windows Update, which is still active on my computer and offers me a variety of Microsoft updates fairly regularly and on the 2nd Wednesday of each month. Many of these are just named using the KB + 8 digit number system and Microsoft are very coy about saying exactly what these updates do. Some are classed as "Optional", some as "important" even though they don't say why or what they do, many are classed as "security updates" to fix system loopholes. Most of these updates are harmless or actually useful in some cases. However, as History dude has pointed out, Microsoft keep issuing KB updates which reactivate, even more aggressively than the last time their "You WILL have Windows 10, - or else!!" policy. 

Yes Steve its the same computer.However when I "downgraded ???" back to Windows 7 I didn't do it using the built in Windows 10 "revert to previous version" as it had already messed up my filing system.
I reverted back to Windows 7 by cloning it to a USB hard drive before installing Windows 10, then copying the clone back to reinstall Windows 7 in exactly the state it was in when the clone copy was made.

The main problem seems to be Windows Update, which is still active on my computer and offers me a variety of Microsoft updates fairly regularly and on the 2nd Wednesday of each month. Many of these are just named using the KB + 8 digit number system and Microsoft are very coy about saying exactly what these updates do. Some are classed as "Optional", some as "important" even though they don't say why or what they do, many are classed as "security updates" to fix system loopholes. Most of these updates are harmless or actually useful in some cases. However, as History dude has pointed out, Microsoft keep issuing KB updates which reactivate, even more aggressively than the last time their "You WILL have Windows 10, - or else!!" policy. 

I did thr same, 'restored it from a W7 disk image, created prior to the W10 upgrade', but I then removed some remnants created prior to the W10 upgrade, some were in hidden folders, can't remember at this moment what the file names were, but I have not been nagged with any of the 'KB' numbers that you state.

I got so sick of the Windows updates offering Windows 10, I simply switched it off!

That was several weeks ago. So yesterday I thought I would manually have a check to see if any updates for security or problems dealing with Windows 7 would appear. Nope not a single one, all I got was the Windows 10 full file, and a load of the things to adjust Windows 7 to make it more like Windows 10! So I hide the lot and got rid of them!!

I will probably check again in November, but I think all I will get is more 10 stuff then!

Meanwhile if you look at the Windows 7 Microsoft site. You will see near the top of the list is "Windows 10 sucks" and it's getting bigger!

By the way many months after 10 was released Microsoft have finally issued a statement saying that they wont be using the data they collect for the likes of the Cortana thing. For a big company they are not very bright!! The internet and YouTube was buzzing with the stories that Microsoft was stealing data from uses within a week of Windows 10 being out! So they have only just got round to trying to quash the rumours. I'm pretty convinced that the young kids on their promo TV advert are actually Microsoft employees, since they can make some crap judgments like that and come up with some crap software changes!   

To me W10 is not the all new operating system that it was made out to be by Micro$oft, it seems to resemble a W8.1 upgrade to me, it even has the W8 load up screen, the one with the animated partially visible #8.

I turned updates off completely over a month ago to stop the reported 'update' that started W7 phoning home like W10 does. As Micros**t won't give good descriptions of what updates are for and rate advertising their latest product as 'important' I just don't trust them any more (not that I ever did really). 

This months "monthly updates" from Microsoft. There were 18 of them of which 13 were for Microsoft Office. One was the malicious software removal tool and 4 were the dreaded KB security updates. There was no real explanation of what any of these did but they did not have previously identified numbers related to the Windows 10 update so I installed them anyway. So far all is well and the "Get Windows 10" reminders and nags have not returned, - so far.

I'm still on XP on my laptop, and hope to be until it falls over on me.

My desktop is running Win10 and seems to be stable, so I'm going to leave it alone.

To me W10 is not the all new operating system that it was made out to be by Micro$oft, it seems to resemble a W8.1 upgrade to me, it even has the W8 load up screen, the one with the animated partially visible #8.

That's because they haven't finished updating it there's a new bit to come very shortly and then a lesser one later. However you have to remember it's been done to fit with old computers running 7 and 8. Previous Windows needed about 90% of customers to buy a new computer! Microsoft couldn't persuade people to fork out for a new computer after the failure of Windows 8. They don't want people like Markbaby running Windows XP and they knew Windows 7 and 8 people would largely stay with those systems if they brought out Windows 10 as a system that needed new hardware or a new computer. Especially if had compulsory automatic updates and sent personal information to Microsoft.

Really who would have purchased Windows 10 knowing what they know about it now?

I'm still on XP on my laptop, and hope to be until it falls over on me.

Are you aware that there is a Windows XP update hack? It provides updated security support for XP until 2019.

Are you aware that there is a Windows XP update hack? It provides updated security support for XP until 2019.

Can you give me more information on this please, a link would be handy, I don't use Windows at all but I do know people who still use XP and would like to pass this information on to them.