Windows 10

SteveHB

I have hidden these 2 "optional" updates.
The synaptic pointing device refers to a drawing tablet which is not currently connected to the computer. It does however work when connected.
As for the other one, - update to time? The clock appears to be working perfectly anyway.
Windows Update now looks a lot cleaner

I've just downloaded my free Windows 10 and I do not like it at all, the icons look blurred, it looks like a very old version of windows, with large silly looking alphabetics, I've immediately set my p.c. it to re-install Windows 7

The 2 updates that previously would not install have now installed.
They had to be installed separately with a system restart between each one.
Took quite a while
Another typical annoying Microsoft Windows Update thing.

Be careful Tozzin
As you have probably gathered from the conversation between me and History Dude, once you have reverted back to windows 7 updates will endlessly try to reinstall Windows 10 forever and a day, - unless you take steps to stop it.

Be careful Tozzin
As you have probably gathered from the conversation between me and History Dude, once you have reverted back to windows 7 updates will endlessly try to reinstall Windows 10 forever and a day, - unless you take steps to stop it.

is there any way to stop it?

I managed to stop this happening by uninstalling update KB3035583, which is the update that puts the get window 10 icon in the task bar and tries to install windows 10. Having uninstalled it, Microsoft update will, within hours, reoffer it for installation. Rather than install it, or just ignore it you need to hide the update so that it will no longer trouble you. Its a lot of messing about, but so far so good, it seems to have gone and even Microsoft update is no longer telling me that Windows 10 is ready to install.

This is the method that worked for me Tozzin

I did install Windows 10 on my laptop as I don't use it much and it was perfect to use as a test for it. Today I used the settings box and looked at the installed apps. I noticed several ones installed by the installation of Windows 10. Some of them were pretty much useless to me and a couple of them taking up space on a limited sized hardrive. One of them was Twitter, which I have never seen the point off. So hit the uninstall button. Did the same with a few other apps. Went back up to the top of the menu and discovered Twitter still there. Clicked it and it was still on the system, so hit uninstall again and went down the menu, just to see if the other apps had gone. As I was doing so the screen went black and then showed my desktop. I hadn't cancelled the menu! I had to bring up settings again and the apps. Waited for it to populate them. But guess what Twitter still present!! So I repeated the uninstall again, moved down and this time it went straight to desktop again without me cancelling the menu. I then tried again and it was still present so I repeated and this time it went and did not drop out.

Some of the problems that I previously reported on seem to have corrected themselves. Presumably the drivers were missing and the auto updates found them. Cortana is now available, but switching it on finishes up with a load of questions relating to data collection and one of them cancels the operation if you don't agree. So Cortana stays off.

However I find that opening Windows, even clicking start, the OS is slower to respond.   

I have noticed that few YouTube videos are now appearing which are on the lines of Windows 10 sucks and even from a guy who works for Microsoft who doesn't recommend Windows 10!

His main problems are the MASSIVE problems with drivers, updates removed for causing problems then being reinstalled by automatic updates.  

It would be interesting to know how many people have gone back to the previous OS after trying Windows 10. 

This is the method that worked for me Tozzin

I managed to remove  the Windows icon by way of the task manager but I still had to place my cursor over the icon for it to be removed.

I know that this is the Sheffield History forum and not the Sheffield Future forum, but what's all this preoccupation with removing all visages of Windows 10 from the known universe ?

I now have Windows 10 installed on both my machines and apart from a few teething problems with drivers and network configuration, all seems to be well.

I consider it a big improvement on Windows 8.1 and a slight improvement on Windows 7.

Somewhere in the bowels of Hilldweller Towers I have a set of 5.25 inch cardboard floppies of Windows 1.01, although I wouldn't recommend them unless you want DOS with a calender, a clock (and Reversi ! ).

There have been some real cuckoos over the years, Windows ME, Vista and 8.0, but Windows 10 seems generally to be well received.

HD

I had a few problems with it HD, but at the end of the day I just didn't like it.

It is far too American, - it wont even display the date in a format I find acceptable, like today being 26/08/2015 and NOT 26-Aug-2015 and certainly NOT the totally meaningless American format of 08/26/2015 no, no, no!!!! How totally wrong is that?

I also don't like being forced (or at least strongly advised) to have a Microsoft account, a Skype account, a one drive account and various other "use only Microsoft products" tactics being pushed at me.

Then there is the subversiveness and downright underhand deceit. Updates that install without permissions, updates that active Windows 10 install without you knowing, updates that "spy" on your system and look for unregistered software to remove.

Why have Microsoft offered Windows 10 for free?
Is it because they don't want Windows 7 to become another Windows XP?
Windows XP was such a good system that users supported and continued to use it long after the date when Microsoft would have wanted to scrap it and write it off. Windows 7, a worthy replacement, looks like going the same way, - so what better way to get rid of it by a date of Microsofts choosing by offering everyone its replacement (Windows 10) for free?

Perhaps it is just me being cynical but to be honest I think Microsoft is struggling and wondering what to do next to keep selling their products.
A few years ago Microsoft was the top computer OS and its only real competition was from Apple, which only had a fraction of the market.
But now with Google and umpteen varieties of Linux (which has always been open source / free) they are up against real competition to keep their lions share of the market in an age where the "computer boom" is over, - mainly because practically everyone now has a computer and modern computers are already capable of doing just about any task you can think to ask of it.
Perhaps the "free Windows 10" is just a gimmick to retain their dominance of the market, - regardless of how good or bad the OS actually is.

I have mentioned previously that I have not used any Microsoft products for years so though I can't comment on Windows 10, I am finding these differing opinions very interesting because friends and neighbours keep asking me if they should upgrade, and though I would normally recommend the latest version, as yet I am wary about recommending it.,

Though it is not Windows 10 I wonder if anyone has tried Zorin 10,

Quote from The Linux Shop "

"Zorin OS 10 - From Windows to Linux, with ease

Zorin OS 10 is ideal if you come from a heavy Windows background. It has a Windows look and feels fast with a wide array of incredible features. Firstly, Zorin OS 10 includes Play on Linux allowing Windows applications to run in Linux. New applications such as the Firefox Web Browser and Rhythmbox Music Player have also been included in this release."

And from http://zorin-os.com/

"Zorin Look Changer The Look Changer lets you change your desktop to look and act like either Windows 7, XP, 2000, Ubuntu Unity, Mac OS X or GNOME 2 for ultimate ease of use."

There are two free editions but the Ultimate edition costs €9.99. I believe they are live discs so I am going to download and burn at least the free ones for my lad who is having major problems with Windows but is wary about trying something else.

There are two free editions but the Ultimate edition costs €9.99. I believe they are live discs so I am going to download and burn at least the free ones for my lad who is having major problems with Windows but is wary about trying something else.

Can I ask, what are the "major problems" your son is experiencing with the Windows OS?

My own son has installed Windows 10 on his laptop twice, - first time unsuccessfully like my attempt where hardly anything worked and what did was slow, and second time, as a clean install, successfully. He has used it for a day or two but like me, he doesn't really like it. This has inspired him to partition his drive and install the latest version of Ubuntu (15.04) and to make the drive dual boot.
I will be very interested to see in the coming weeks and months which he uses the most and which he prefers to use.
Will it be Windows 10?
Or will it be Linux Ubuntu 15?

I would tell people to WAIT to download Windows 10. Everyone entitled to it free has still under a year to download it so there is plenty of time. There are two big updates to Windows 10 to come, one coming in the next couple of months coded Threshold Two. And a second and final one, which should complete Windows 10 after that. These are bound to cause problems, even to those that have downloaded Windows 10. Microsoft are going to treat those that have installed Windows 10 as test lab rats for these updates, even though lots of "Windows Insiders" have Threshold Two now, they won't catch all the problems connected with it.

So that's why those have not upgraded should leave it as long as they can, till these big updates have been tested by those that have Windows 10.

As for changing OS, doesn't the same issue arise? That of will this or that software/hardware work with the OS?

If I was starting from scratch and having new hardware then I would not pick Windows as the OS.  

If you do download Windows 10 be aware that unless you opt out it uses your machine to re-distribute Windows 10 and other updates to other machines on your network, but more importantly to other peoples PC's over your internet connection.

I only discovered this when I realised that 25 Gigabytes a month had been sent down my connection overnight when I wasn't using my PC's. My ISP confirmed that it was my connection that was sending the data.

To disable P2P updates in Windows 10 go to "Update and Security", then "Chose how Updates are Delivered",  and when you get to "Updates from more than one place" either slide the little blue switch to Off or select PC's on my local network ONLY

If you're on a metered connection it might work out very expensive.

If this has been mentioned before, I apologise.

HD

Then there is the subversiveness and downright underhand deceit. Updates that install without permissions, updates that active Windows 10 install without you knowing, updates that "spy" on your system and look for unregistered software to remove.

I didn't realise that HD, - my son has Windows 10 (as mentioned previously) but our Internet is fast and unlimited so I wouldn't notice.

Just goes to prove one of my earlier criticisms, quoted above 

Can I ask, what are the "major problems" your son is experiencing with the Windows OS?

He is 600 miles away from me and not particularly well experienced with computers but had Windows 7 on a laptop and tried to update to Windows 10, somehow managed to finish up with no operating system at all so reverted to XP (temporarily) which he gets on fine with and really likes but for obvious reasons can not keep.  He actually has Windows 8 on another computer and gets on fine with that. Other than that just the usual things like long maintenance and update time, forever looking for drivers, virus / malware problems,  He is using Linux for important things like banking but has not been able to get some of the kids games working yet so that is my next job even though I never play computer games. EDIT Just found out that the update problem was self / child inflicted, someone turned it off half way through the update so he formatted the disc with a live OS disc. He is now going to get a Windows 7 disc and stick to that for a while.

It was the second Tuesday in the month, the day that Microsoft releases its monthly system updates which I always get the day after (time difference between USA and Europe perhaps?).
This is the first update so I have gone through all the performance of restoring Windows 7 to my computer and preventing it (hopefully) from ever bothering with the Windows 10 downgrade again, so I was very interested in what would be in those updates.
There were 22 updates, most of them were updates for Microsoft Office, Windows Explorer and Microsoft .NET framework which I was happy to install.
One of them was the September 2015 malicious software removal tool, - which always installs and runs immediately by scanning the entire hard disc for malicious software, - it alone takes the best part of an hour, longer than the other 21 updates put together to install and it never seems to find anything wrong, but I always run it anyway.
The remaining updates, about 8 of them, were the usual "Microsoft update for" or "Microsoft security update" followed by one of those ridiculous KB numbers and no explanation of what it does. I am very wary of these from what History Dude has said that one of them may try to reintroduce Windows 10 by a "Trojan horse" route.
I installed all 22 anyway and then immediately after the required restart checked windows update again to check what damage (in terms of Windows 10 downgrade) it had inflicted on my computer.
Windows Update reported that 22 updates had been successfully installed, - but more importantly that "Windows is up to date" and "No new updates are available" with no mention at all of Windows 10 being available.
So far so good, my plan to keep Windows 10 off my computer (having tried it and rated it as "a load of crap!") even in the face of intense pressure from Microsoft to force it onto every computer it can, seems to be working.
But I don't think I have heard the last of it yet.

Here we go .....
Just encountered my my first major problem when using W10.
I need to boot into bios to change the system boot order, not being sure of what key to press on start/boot to get access I went for the 'Delete' key, no joy pc booted in to windows.
Anyhow, to cut a long story short (after trying, F2, F10, etc.),  google came up with the 'F2' key for my ASRock motherboard, but that did not work.
So I managed to dig out the box & user manual for my motherboard,
guess what, 'Press F2' to boot in to bios?

I'll get round it eventually, I think ........

I had a similar problem when trying to fix a Windows 8.1 laptop. I had to find some control inside  Windoze that allowed the machine to accept the BIOS could be accessed by a mere human. Took five times longer to find how to do that than fixing the problem. 

Have now encountered a new issue with Windows updates for Windows and the offering of Windows 10. It seems Microsoft have come up with a new version of an update to get you ready for windows 10 that is more like a virus! Update KB2952664 will simply not be removed. You can hide it and it still will not go away. You click the remove update and uninstall the update, Windows goes via the motions and then says restart your computer to take effect. You do and then go back to view installed updates and KB2952664 is there with a new installed date the same as today's date. I have removed it several times and restarted and it will not go away. I even switched Windows Update off and then uninstalled several times with no effect! I don't have a clue now how to get shut of this update!