Windows 10

SteveHB

Finally managed to get Windoze 10 on my desktop computer.

I registered for it some time ago and about 4 days ago it said it was available. The download seemed to go OK but it wouldn't install beyond a certain point.

I tried various dodges on Windoze forums including using the MS Fixit tool but each time it failed.

After five failed attempts I then ran the Media Creation x64 tool and it immediately began a very slow download of Windows 10.

It took about 4 hours to download 16% of the program 'so I left it running overnight and this morning it went on to install correctly.

So far so good, I've set my defaults to programs I feel comfortable with and everything seems to work normally.

I shall leave the Windoze 8.1 running on my laptop until feel confident in the new operating system.

HD

I've installed the upgrade and to be honest I think that graphically it's not as nice as windows 7. It also seems more geared towards phones and tablets. It asks a lot of questions before it fully installs about sending data to microsoft, using your location to tailor searches etc. I switched everything to "NO".

Time will tell if I keep it, or revert back to Win 7, but support for Win 7 will end soon.

According to this article     http://www.techrepublic.com/article/windows-10-violates-your-privacy-by-default-heres-how-you-can-protect-yourself/?tag=nl.e101&s_cid=e101&ttag=e101&ftag=TRE684d531     it looks like you had the right idea when you said you switched everything to NO.

Windows Media player can't play WMV files - The files Microsoft invented!

That's strange dude, they play ok on mine, can also play them with the 'Film & TV' application.

win_media_pl.thumb.jpg.e6f82a4e1b820765f

Fine SteveHB

But your computer might not work at all when Microsoft send you an automatic update that is no good and crashes your computer, they have done that in the past, but few people were affected as they had the option to wait or choose not to install. You don't have in Windows 10. 

I'm not taking that risk with my main machine.

It started to download it yesterday for it. But I stopped it. The only trouble is it won't take no for an answer.

So if you have changed your mind about installing Windows 10 and still have the Windows 10 icon on your taskbar here's how to get rid of it. Especially as if you have get the update notice - it wants to download and install it and doesn't wait to ask permission to do so. For example this morning I started my computer up and left it to settle down, while I cleaned my teeth. When I got back it was in the process of downloading 10!
So to stop it...
Go to Windows update and search for update KB3035583. When you have found it right click to install it.
You then need to restart you computer. The icon should have gone. Then go back to Windows Update. If the Windows 10 upgrade update is there, it might be trying to install it! Cancel the update if it is, then select the update and click "hide".
This should stop the update appearing again.
This hide thing is useful if you get an update that you don't need, because you don't use the thing anymore, or an annoying one that will fail to install no matter how many times you try.

I think its just done the same again, - I only pressed the submit button once so something is wrong with the new system

I think its just done the same again, - I only pressed the submit button once so something is wrong with the new system

Something wrong with your system Dave, other members do not appear to be making duplicate posts.

Edit: two duplicate posts removed.

If anyone has upgraded and doesn't like it, you can roll back to your previous version of Windows up to 1 month after you installed Windows 10

Some experts are saying that people are giving up on Windows 10 because of small items that could be fixed, like outdated drivers. Personally I regard that as the typical attitude of computer nerds. Blame the user if there is something wrong with the system.

If Windows 10 is that good they didn't need to offer it for free. Word of mouth would have sold it for them. Word of mouth killed Windows 8 for them. What I have noticed about Windows 10 is that many of the features that require money to be spent on them such as Groove Music and the store are prominently displayed and other things you use a lot - or for free - are hidden away. 

Other things have been left alone and not touched. No change to Windows Media Player. If you download anything from the net the the Windows 7 info bar pops up, adding a bit of colour to the white washed world of Windows 10. Apart from bleaching out the windows, all the settings are the same as windows 7. There are a few changes to the settings options. The slide switches. And the annoying arrow with the name at side of it. I keep wanting to click the name and it doesn't work. You have to click the arrow! 

I just get the impression that Windows 10 is one huge advertisement for the Microsoft Store.

All the apps and things new require you to sign up for a Microsoft account. The laptop I downloaded it to, was only really used by my mum to play solitaire.  Now that's gone! Yes it's there on Microsoft store free - it says - but you have to have an account! Clever boys Microsoft, just perfect advertising. Only it's not quite FREE. It's full of adverts! You can get rid of them if you pay for them to be removed.

Yes windows store was on version 8, but like most people I was on Windows 7 with no intention of using Windows 8. And of course on Windows 7 there's nothing really about Windows store, so Microsoft thus thought let's have everyone have Windows Store for free - strike that - windows 10 for free - and we can promote Windows Store for free!

You can't even go on the Microsoft Website to complain about it (though there's a growing thread titled "Windows 10 Sucks" on the site) because you have to sign into a Microsoft account to do so, which sort of defeats the point!

OK Steve, I have now used my Win 7 cloned drive to restore Windows 7 to my computer and completely remove all traces of Win 10. Further I have uninstalled the MS update which puts the "Get Windows 10" notification on the task bar and (at least for now) that also appears to have gone.

So I am back to a trusted and reliable OS that I know works and back to running IE11 as I was before any updates.

Question is, - how many times will this post duplicate itself?

I never did download Windows 10 on my main computer. However I have noticed that when Windows 7 does the updates for Microsoft and you click to install the Windows 7 updates, it then says "downloading windows 10". At first I thought it was downloading windows 10, so I stopped the updates, then I download only one of the updates to be on the safe side. It still said the same thing, but after installing it and restarting the computer, no windows 10 files were installed. So I downloaded the rest, with no effect. The conclusion seems to be that windows 10 thing has altered the Windows update thing corrupting it to say that! I had a look around the Microsoft site for an explanation, but there's nothing. Too many questions about the problems with Windows 10 for people to be concerned about Windows 7 updates. 

I managed to stop this happening by uninstalling update KB3035583, which is the update that puts the get window 10 icon in the task bar and tries to install windows 10. Having uninstalled it, Microsoft update will, within hours, reoffer it for installation. Rather than install it, or just ignore it you need to hide the update so that it will no longer trouble you. Its a lot of messing about, but so far so good, it seems to have gone and even Microsoft update is no longer telling me that Windows 10 is ready to install.

Well, here's my experience with Windows 10. I was running windows 7, I booted up my computer one night but the screen looked different. I had a Hewlett Packard default screensaver and only 5 or 6 icons on the desktop. I couldn't access any Adobe or Microsoft programs or any of the files I had created in them. The pop-up information said any work I did would be lost when I logged off. The internet was woefully slow, like, 5 minutes to open my email page, so I ring up my son who is more tech. savvy than me and he suggested re-loading windows 7, as it appeared to be an operating fault. I didn't have a copy of windows 7 or any other windows. My local computer store wanted $170 for a copy. Then I remembered Steve's challenge for anyone to change to windows 10. I found the link and just went for it. After recruiting my son again to fix a few glitches, everything appears to be working fine and I am enjoying the experience. So, thanks Steve!

Just one note of caution. I started the download in the early afternoon and turned my computer off at 1 a.m. We get the internet via satellite here and it is notoriously SLOW!!

I managed to stop this happening by uninstalling update KB3035583, which is the update that puts the get window 10 icon in the task bar and tries to install windows 10. Having uninstalled it, Microsoft update will, within hours, reoffer it for installation. Rather than install it, or just ignore it you need to hide the update so that it will no longer trouble you. Its a lot of messing about, but so far so good, it seems to have gone and even Microsoft update is no longer telling me that Windows 10 is ready to install.

I had already got rid of that update! I did another search just in case and it wasn't there. But it still says downloading Windows 10, though it's not actually doing that. It seems that the Windows 10 thing has altered my Windows update thing to just read that now, even though it's just downloading updates for 7!

By the way I came across a suspicious looking update for Windows 7 that according to the Microsoft bit about it, is connected to monitoring OS that have not upgraded yet. It's an optional update, so check it out before letting it on your PC. I myself have not installed it and hidden it.   

I think I have managed to get rid of windows 10 successfully because I restored windows 7 from a cloned drive rather than windows restore. As the clone was made before the windows 10 updates it seems to have cleared them completely, - hopefully, so far.

I will look out for this other update that checks for non upgraded systems. Do you know its KB number so I can hide it as soon as it arrives?

Windows update currently has 5 "optional" or "recommended" updates waiting for me and I am not prepared to install any of them.

On a Positive note I use Windows 10 with no issues.

I have used it all year under the Beta testing programme, it was a clean install.

All my software seems to be compatible (Office 2010, Adobe CS 6 etc)

I have upgrade my laptop using the Windows 7 >> Windows 10 route, that on the whole seems ok.

I think I have managed to get rid of windows 10 successfully because I restored windows 7 from a cloned drive rather than windows restore. As the clone was made before the windows 10 updates it seems to have cleared them completely, - hopefully, so far.

I will look out for this other update that checks for non upgraded systems. Do you know its KB number so I can hide it as soon as it arrives?

Windows update currently has 5 "optional" or "recommended" updates waiting for me and I am not prepared to install any of them.

That update is KB3080149.

I don't think it checks for non-upgrade computers, it says it something to do with telementry(?) for non-upgrade devices. 

I have just hidden KB3080149 It was one of the 5 "optional" or "Recommended" updates already waiting for me (so now there are only 4) It was described by Microsoft simply as "Update for Win 7 64 bit systems" which tells you nothing about it at all.

I have just hidden KB3080149 It was one of the 5 "optional" or "Recommended" updates already waiting for me (so now there are only 4) It was described by Microsoft simply as "Update for Win 7 64 bit systems" which tells you nothing about it at all.

I did a bit more digging around on that update. On one forum called Wilders Security a lot of the posters where very concerned about it and other updates that might change Windows 7 into something which is called Windows 7, but is really Windows 10, or has some of the nasty features of Windows 10.

One poster describe that update as " Upgrades diagnostic telemetry to Windows 10 code ie: telemetry and updates you can't op out of - hidden (of course). 

They were also concerned about this file KB3075249. Which does the same thing. Both of these things are quite big in file size so they clearly pack some punch.

Several uses said that the only allow "essential" updates and hide all the optional ones.

Another search result for KB3080149 says that this update allows Microsoft servers to get data from your computer. But the purpose of what this is for is not clear.

The same website also added some more updates that users are suspect about: KB2505438, KB2670838, KB2952664, KB3021917, KB3035583 and KB3075249.

You can choose to remove these updates or leave them on. I suspect it depends on how much you have faith in Microsoft.

Footnote I advise caution on removing installed updates. I took out those second lot and internet explorer switched back to an earlier version instead of 11.

I have only removed the GWX (Get Windows 10) update from the system, all the others are merely hidden.
Seems like a lot of suspicious updates to me, - I may be better turning automatic updates off and just checking occasionally and only downloading the ones I want (like office updates or .NET updates).
I have a sneaky feeling that there is a large update, as yet unidentified of about 2.7 to 3Gb in size hiding somewhere on my system which is the actual Windows 10 update.

According to my Windows Update history, Windows 10 has tried to install itself once a day for the last 4 days (since I uninstalled KB 3035583) and on each occasion has failed.

I have hidden KB3075249. It was one of the four waiting for "optional" installation, so now there are only 3
The update was not that big, only 1.2Mb
The remaining 3 "optional updates are one relating to a synaptic pointing device which has been there for some time (so possibly genuine and harmless)
The other 2 both have KB numbers starting off KB307
KB3077715 and KB3078667, both of which are undefined in purpose and both under 1Mb in size.

KB3077715 is to do with the International Time Zone change.

KB3078667 is to do with a system error caused by a leaky memory.

Both of these updates are safe to download.

The synaptic device is a mouse I think. You can download that too. Sometimes these device updates fail to install. You can check the cause out, but if it keeps failing to install and you have no problems with the device(s) in question - just hide the update!

I did notice a "telemetry" update in the essential list. So check out the explanation of even essentials updates before you download them. To simplify the ones you need to check are the ones without the word "security" in them. Tick the update and click the top option called "More information", the bottom one (support) often doesn't produce results.