Windows 10

SteveHB

I have registered for the free Windows 10 upgrade some time ago and am just waiting for further instructions on how and when to install when it becomes available. The Windows 10 app informs me that my computer and installed software are all compatible so all sounds good.
However, before installing Windows 10 I have done a full system backup, including a system image, of the current Windows 7 system onto an external hard drive and also a full clone of my current C drive, also onto an external hard drive of the same size so that if anything goes wrong, or even if I don't like Windows 10, at least I can get my old system back exactly as it was with minimal fuss.

I have registered for the free Windows 10 upgrade some time ago and am just waiting for further instructions on how and when to install when it becomes available. The Windows 10 app informs me that my computer and installed software are all compatible so all sounds good.
However, before installing Windows 10 I have done a full system backup, including a system image, of the current Windows 7 system onto an external hard drive and also a full clone of my current C drive, also onto an external hard drive of the same size so that if anything goes wrong, or even if I don't like Windows 10, at least I can get my old system back exactly as it was with minimal fuss.

I also created an image of Win7 prior to registering for Win10, the Windows 10 upgrade is now in the process of downloading.

I think that I am quite content to come a comfortable second-place in this race, and I will gladly leave the field open to those with more of a pioneering spirit.

I have received an email from Talktalk explaining that there seems to be potential issues associated with Windows 10, when using some of their webmail functions.

So, best of luck, and I hope that all goes well for those of you wanting to lead the way.

I think that I am quite content to come a comfortable second-place in this race, and I will gladly leave the field open to those with more of a pioneering spirit.

I have received an email from Talktalk explaining that there seems to be potential issues associated with Windows 10, when using some of their webmail functions.

So, best of luck, and I hope that all goes well for those of you wanting to lead the way.

I'm not very fond of the email services provided by ISP's, I prefer to use an independent email  service like Gmail,  if you ever decided to change your present ISP ( internet service provider) to another one, wouldn't your old email address become non existant?

Have any of you tried Linux Mint, you can try it live before installing, though it will not be as fast live. It is a lot faster than any Microsoft system, no viruses, no problems, easy to install, thousands of free programs, you can do anything that you can do in Windows without buying expensive programs. I have four operating systems installed on my laptop, three are Linux and the Windows 7 which came with it, I only ever boot Windows 7 to solve other peoples problems. My wife now has a Mac because she could wreck the Windows systems faster than I could fix them and the iMac has been indestructible even for her. I hope Microsoft have got it right this time, but I would not bank on it.

Have any of you tried Linux Mint, you can try it live before installing, though it will not be as fast live. It is a lot faster than any Microsoft system, no viruses, no problems, easy to install, thousands of free programs, you can do anything that you can do in Windows without buying expensive programs. I have four operating systems installed on my laptop, three are Linux and the Windows 7 which came with it, I only ever boot Windows 7 to solve other peoples problems. My wife now has a Mac because she could wreck the Windows systems faster than I could fix them and the iMac has been indestructible even for her. I hope Microsoft have got it right this time, but I would not bank on it.

Yes boginspro, used Linux Mint, Mate and Ubuntu, the latest versions are very good comparing to what Linux was like five years back, not knocking Linux, but I prefer to use the windows operating systems.

I've installed the upgrade and to be honest I think that graphically it's not as nice as windows 7. It also seems more geared towards phones and tablets. It asks a lot of questions before it fully installs about sending data to microsoft, using your location to tailor searches etc. I switched everything to "NO".

Time will tell if I keep it, or revert back to Win 7, but support for Win 7 will end soon.

Installed it today, the install was smooth and simple enough, - but then you have problems with the existing installed programs and their data, so I am still sorting out the mess it has created. I notice all their own programs work OK though.

The problem with Linux, in all its forms, is that it is not user friendly and easy to use. I have used many variations of Linux, including Mint, Ubuntu and Knoppix. All have their + and - points but none are as good as Windows or Apple, - but they are excellent as free open source software. I tend to only run Linux either in an emulator like VMWare, or directly from a USB memory stick to get an old broken down computer up and running again.
I personally don't like Apple, others think it is fantastic but I don't find its layout intuitive and easy to use and I also find it more restricted than Windows.

Installed it today, the install was smooth and simple enough, - but then you have problems with the existing installed programs and their data, so I am still sorting out the mess it has created. I notice all their own programs work OK though.

I also found that it changed all the file associations to the microsoft version. For example I use vlc player for videos and it changed it to media player, and photos from Faststone viewer to windows picture viewer. Easy enough to swap them back, but still a nuisance to have to do it.

We will have to agree to disagree on the user friendly bit DaveH, I find it the other way round, but the one thing that will always keep me away from Windows is the fact that you can't examine or change the code of any Microsoft programs so anything could be in that code. I would be interested however to know how you dedicated Windows users get on with Windows 10 because I do keep getting friends and neighbours asking me to mend their Windows systems and even asking if they should upgrade to 10. Please keep us informed how the new operating system compares to your previous one.

Good news is that Sheffield History runs just as well in Microsoft Edge as any other browser, - possibly better than on Internet Explorer.

Good news is that Sheffield History runs just as well in Microsoft Edge as any other browser, - possibly better than on Internet Explorer.

Not on my monitors it doesn't, I have to scroll over to view the right hand side of the page.

By the way, I got impatient waiting my final notification from microsoft to upgrade from 7 to 10,

so I downloaded and used the media creation tool, all went well without any problems.  

Not on my monitors it doesn't, I have to scroll over to view the right hand side of the page.

I had that problem with IE11, but so far not on Edge

Dave, any idea why your recent posts are coming up in pairs?

I removed one of your duplicates this morning.

Edit: Three more duplicates removed this evening

I recommend you do NOT upgrade before you get your notice to do so from Microsoft. Each upgrade has been tailor made for your computer. If you force it before ready, you might be missing something that would have been provided by Microsoft to make your computer work better, such as drivers. 

Most of the problems currently are caused by people who couldn't wait till they were told. Microsoft are working to get every computer ready for Windows 10, some are taking a bit longer than others. If you force the upgrade, your computer might not be compatible with Windows 10, so it could crash!

Those that have it now will get another update this week. When people did upgrade and errors were found by the system, reports were sent automatictly to Microsoft. So this new update is a bug fix as a result of those reports.  October will also see a bigger upgrade called Threshold Two. Then there will be another one after that either this year or next. Many say this one will take us to Windows 10.1.

Windows 10 upgrade will not ask you for a product key. If it does you have either downloaded a version which is not a replacement for your Windows 7 or 8.1. IE: Pro version instead of Home! Or you have a pirated copy!

Downloaded it after official notification notice from Microsoft on an old windows 7 laptop that was rarely used, so had no important stuff on it.

My verdict on Windows 10 is that it is the biggest load of crap Microsoft have ever put out.

The file background is all white! Even this website looks better than Windows 10.

They made a big fuss about Cortana, but my machine says it's NOT available in your country with your language. But my country is UK and the language is English, which Microsoft says it is available for!

Windows Media player can't play WMV files - The files Microsoft invented!

I could list more faults, but it would take to long.

I'm certainly not going to download it for my main computer. It created havoc with files and programs on the laptop, so they can go to hell!

This is what Sony Corporation say about upgrading to Windows 10 on their products,

"Patience is advised

We are currently testing the performance of Sony products with Windows 10 and will be releasing compatibility information gradually. We strongly recommend you do not upgrade to Windows 10 just yet, and wait for the information to become available. Visit this page regularly for updates!"

From this page         https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/windows10