searching for records after birth certificate for birth parent

formydadmg

Hello, i have only posted here before about my fathers side of the family and answered questions about our family factory, did try to find all he missing newspaper articles from my great aunt kit, to no avail, but now i seek help for my mum, and although we know her birth mum a mary ann agus , we have her birth certificate my mum was born on 31/ 01/39  she is a domestic servant of 12 harrington rd, was this her home or work place? my mums mum looked after a gentlemans children and house as she was in an institution, my mums mum got pregnant by her employer and had my mum whom was put up for adoption, so mum has two sisters already, i desperately seek any information history forum can give me to help in this nd there must be a way of finding where my birth grandmother did wrk etc , did she just life at harrington road or was it her employers address, i would appriciate any help  have done the right to know of an adopted parent just tad to slow.

Hello, i have only posted here before about my fathers side of the family and answered questions about our family factory, did try to find all he missing newspaper articles from my great aunt kit, to no avail, but now i seek help for my mum, and although we know her birth mum a mary ann agus , we have her birth certificate my mum was born on 31/ 01/39  she is a domestic servant of 12 harrington rd, was this her home or work place? my mums mum looked after a gentlemans children and house as she was in an institution, my mums mum got pregnant by her employer and had my mum whom was put up for adoption, so mum has two sisters already, i desperately seek any information history forum can give me to help in this nd there must be a way of finding where my birth grandmother did wrk etc , did she just life at harrington road or was it her employers address, i would appriciate any help  have done the right to know of an adopted parent just tad to slow.

Sheffield Indexers, under directories has,

AGUS, Mary Ann (Mrs, ~).
     Address: 12 Harrington Road, ~ in 1925.
     Recorded in: Sheffield & Rotherham Kelly?s Directory.

Also from indexers...

Agus, Mary (Student, dob 27 Dec 1913).
     Parent or guardian name(s): Mary Ann (Mother), of 12 Herrington Rd (Cottage Homes Fulwood).
     Admitted to Pomona Street Special School, Ecclesall, as of 16 Apr 1923, 
     until 20 Dec 1929, reason for leaving: Age Limit 16yrs. Previously attended Lowfield C Infts.

The Mary in the above school record is 'Mary A' in the GRO birth index:

GRO Births MAR Qtr 1914   (from FreeBMD)
AGUS  Mary A      ( Hinkaman )
Ecclesall B. 9c 999

... which makes it more likely that this is your grandmother.

The mother's maiden name 'HINKAMAN' is a mistake/mis-reading of HINKSMAN.

thanks so much hughw very interesting article and it certainly does answer a lot of questions, i really appriciate your help .

hughw  please could you make that article public i have no problem with that, grateful for your help, may help others memories                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      P.s have no idea how to or i would

Here's the 1911 census return for 12 Harrington Road.  The Mary Ann on the census had died by the time your mother was born in 1939 so possibly this Mary Ann was your great grandmother (see Hugh's post regarding a daughter Mary, not on the census as born in 1914)

Robert died aged 47, a labourer, at 12 Harrington Road on 9th September 1924 and was buried on September 12th 1924 in grave number 18674, section CC1, City Road Cemetery.  He left £457 16s 6d to Ethel and Elizabeth.

Mary Ann died aged 49 at 32 Union Road (Nether Edge Hospital, the old Ecclesall Workhouse) on 12th November and was buried on 17th November 1924 the same grave.  She left £174 13s 2d to Ethel and Elizabeth.  Also in that grave is George Henry Agus, their 16 year old son, died at Ecclesall Institution and buried on 23rd August 1916, and Christiana Hinksman, a 54 year old widow, who died at 12 Harrington Road on 23rd April 1910, also Thomas Hornsby William Hinsksman, a 47 year old wood turner who died at 12 Harrington Road and was buried on 28th May 1900.  In 1936 the same grave was used for Henry Walker a 66 year old table knife cutler who died at Fir Vale Hospital and was buried on 6th February.

Elizabeth Christiana Agus (born 21st December 1904) married John McLeavy in December 1928. She died in November 2003.

Ethel Agus died a spinster on 29th July 1958 at the Royal Hospital.  She had been living at 455 Shoreham Street.  She left £3018 17s 5d, probate being granted to Elizabeth Christiana McLeavy (her sister) and Ellen Constance Bramley ( a widow).

Mary_Ann_Agus_1911.thumb.jpg.845723ba9e5

Thank you so much edmund and yes it is my great grandmother,.  father, just the elusive daughter my grandmother to find, so grateful for your time to do that and i guess i have a grave to vist, feel like rushing there tomorrow but a-level result day, make or break for one of their great great grandsons and his uni place :-) , glad she did have sisters now the newspaper article makes yet more sence, and yes mary ann agus whom had my mum was born in 1914,  I have to thank everyone so much helping i have been searching for so long and come up basically nothing, now more curiosity of her sisters and maybe a bessie agus, thank you again 

reading between the lines the whole family ended up in a workhouse?, makes even more sence of the affiliation claim by mums mum, and why the court forced her to give mum up, so sorry to ask but can you help more on this edmund, on the eve , ok morning of i cant sleep yet my youngest is snoring to think those that got us here lost and went through so much......

It might be worth looking at the Ecclesall Workhouse records - the Sheffield Archives have several index's of names under reference NHS21 (births, baptisms, list of inmates)

Hello everyone. Looking for information on my grandfather.

My father James Cooper Linacre, born March 29, 1925 address 32 Union Road, Sheffield. I know he spent time at the Fulwood Cottage Homes. He had brothers Kenneth Douglas born 1922 and Frank born 1926. On the boys' birth certificates, there was no father named.

As far as I can see, their mother Maggie or Margaret (no middle name) born 1901 died 1928. Her father Albert Linacre and mother Edith Barker.

How hard would it be to track my grandfather?

So keen to know more :)

8 hours ago, The Sheffield Kid said:

Hello everyone. Looking for information on my grandfather.

My father James Cooper Linacre, born March 29, 1925 address 32 Union Road, Sheffield. I know he spent time at the Fulwood Cottage Homes. He had brothers Kenneth Douglas born 1922 and Frank born 1926. On the boys' birth certificates, there was no father named.

As far as I can see, their mother Maggie or Margaret (no middle name) born 1901 died 1928. Her father Albert Linacre and mother Edith Barker.

How hard would it be to track my grandfather?

So keen to know more :)

32 Union Road would have been the workhouse at Nether Edge. 

Have found this about  my grandmother - again no next of kin name. How can I find out about my grandfather? Any help is greatly appreciated. 

LINACRE, Maggie (~, age 27).
     Died at 12 Herries Rd; Buried on September 26, 1928 in Consecrated ground;
     Grave Number 3025, Section JJ of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.
     Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: Officiating Minister, F W Holt: Removed from Sheffield Parish.
     Plot Owner: of . Page No