The Farfield Inn / The Owl pub in Neepsend, Sheffield

Sheffield History

1122499_8ebc996c.thumb.jpg.a0fc07ce39bdb

The Farfield Inn at Neepsend (formerly also known as The Owl) in Sheffield is a place that everyone knows well, drives past regularly yet know very little about

What is it like inside? 

And why hasn't it been pulled down? Is it protected ?

It is a grade 2 listed building. Originally built as a gentleman's residence. For quite some time the residence of  an officer from the barracks. Built in 1753. 

Ah that explains why it's been left there.

Would be great to see it back to it's former glory

Last I heard was that it was in a pretty bad state following being flooded. It must be about 6 years since I last saw Ralph Salt, he told me that there were problems with the council over planning permission for a skip hire company to open up next door.

It looks very lonely, boarded up and forlorn now and in a very sorry state. I'll see if I can get a photo this week. 

Lyn

I took a photo years ago when it was painted blue and white and called the Owl.  Will post when I can find it!!  It then shut down for a while and reverted to it's original name.

Heres a nice old photo of the Farfield Inn, taken just after the Sheffield floods. It looked a lovely building back then..

s00911.jpg.38db0fb7167244d1ad7ea1963b3e3c74.jpg

• Like 1

Its going to auction on 30th January 2018.

http://www.markjenkinson.co.uk/auctions/tuesday-30th-january-2018/display/Farfield+Inn%2C+376+Neepsend+Lane%2C+Sheffield-|-2521#lot

• Landmark Sheffield property
  • Grade II Listed former Coaching Inn dating from 1752
  • Approximately 398 square metres of accommodation (4,282 square feet) on three levels
  • Prominent freehold site of approximately 490 square metres
  • Requires complete restoration following floor damage
  • Close to the proposed new ski site development

Was there another pub called The Owl on the old Penistone Road just about opposite where the adult store is now. I once saw old movies footage ( possibly early 60s) of a car journey from Up north of Sheffield, Halifax Road, Penistone Road towards town. I'm sure I spotted the pub on there. 

I note that a planning application has gone in to the City Council with the aim of refurbishing the pub and making use of the upper stories and some of the outbuildings. Something needs to be done: it looked very forlorn when I passed by late last year.

19/00626/LBC: Alterations to and refurbishment of Public House, formation of 6 living units on first and second floor, use of existing outbuilding as a workshop and erection of a 2 storey building to form 2 workshops (Class B1) and erection of associated bin stores | The Farfield Inn 376 Neepsend Lane Sheffield S3 8AW

Screenshot 2020-04-01 at 18.19.13.jpg

The Owl on Neepsend Lane as it was known back then.

Also known as The Farfield, The Farfield Inn, and The Muff Inn pub.

From 'Casbah' on Owlstalk, some info regarding the name change to The Muff Inn..

A young entrepreneur & Wednesdayite Bob Murfin (Muff) dipped his toe into the entertainment industry in the early 80’s with the Muff Inn (Later The Owl) ...... It earned him a few quid as all the Wednesday lads from The Limit supported his venture which allowed him to invest in, and embark upon his career defining project in town...........

The Casbah!

This explains the links between The Muff Inn/The Owl pub and Sheffield Wednesday fans, and also later on The Casbah in Sheffield City Centre

Hi have a great intrest in the owl.  Does any body remember walt and Renna. If so can you remember the stain glass window of a owl