Mary Street

tozzin

I went to have a look at Mary Street today and I was pleasantly surprised at what was waiting for me,  from Shoreham Street to the Gibson Works near the very top of Mary Street the cobbles have all been replaced, the terrible Asphalt patches have gone, around 30 or so yards are left to be done, it looks great.

001.JPG

It's a shame that the recent rebuild of that wall, couldn't have been done with the original stone.

One of my first jobs was at Rogers Upholstery which was on Mary Street way back in 1976.

• Like 1

It's a shame that the recent rebuild of that wall, couldn't have been done with the original stone.

​I think you'll find that that wall was rebuilt very substantially as part of the flood protection measures for the watercourse behind it. I guess a well bonded thick brick wall would hold back the water better.

They did something similar at Malin Bridge between Rivelin Valley Road and Stannington Road but at least they did use stone.

HD

​I think you'll find that that wall was rebuilt very substantially as part of the flood protection measures for the watercourse behind it. I guess a well bonded thick brick wall would hold back the water better.

They did something similar at Malin Bridge between Rivelin Valley Road and Stannington Road but at least they did use stone.

HD

​Not convinced with that theory HD, the car park on the other side of the Porter (L/H bank) by the side of Sylverster Street, is at lower ground level than Mary Street, and there is no wall on that side of the river.

I went to have a look at Mary Street today and I was pleasantly surprised at what was waiting for me,  from Shoreham Street to the Gibson Works near the very top of Mary Street the cobbles have all been replaced, the terrible Asphalt patches have gone, around 30 or so yards are left to be done, it looks great.

001.JPG

​Maybe they are beginning to realise that cobbles last much longer than tarmac.

Are they going to give the top end of the street the same TLC

Images today 15/5/15

Mary_St_1.thumb.jpg.9158e4266a5821dd176eMary_st_2.thumb.jpg.f45e66c4fc85c23c678a

Images today 15/5/15

If you look at the very top of Mary Street, on Hereford Street you can see a pile of cobbles that seem to be waiting to be laid, there isn't enough there to finish the job BUT I'm sure more will be forthcoming .

Mary_st_2.thumb.jpg.f45e66c4fc85c23c678a

Images today 15/5/15

Mary_St_1.thumb.jpg.9158e4266a5821dd176eMary_st_2.thumb.jpg.f45e66c4fc85c23c678a