Where were these B&C co-op's

sando

Hi

while searching my grandmas stuff I came across these pictures, can anyone tell me where they were taken?

Where 1 001.jpg

Where 2 001.jpg

First stab at the first one was Margetson Cres. off Wordsworth Avenue, but on looking at Streetview, I can see that it isn't. I would say that, by the look of the pebble-dash house next door, it's on a council estate of similar era. Maybe Southey, Longley, etc.

Buchannon Road is a possible. Right size, number of windows etc. but the house next door is wrong.

Buchannon Streetview

Looking more closely, the house next door has had an extension to the roof. The hip is now a gable. So it's a maybe.

Vox

I am led to believe the top picture is Wolfe Road, will try and have a look later this week. lots of the estates around the S5 area have very similar architecture.

Wolfe Road looks good. It has the house on the corner at an angle. It seems that the original building has gone, and has been replaced with a more modern on.

Wolfe Road for the top image gets my vote. Even though the current building is different, the house to the left looks right, as does the service road in front. Also, looking at the parade of shops, the opposite end that is now a Costcutter and 'Polur Wah' Chinese takeaway has the architecture of the original co-op building. Double front, pitched roof, upper windows in a 2-3-2 pattern. Coincidence maybe, but compelling evidence....?

Not a lot to go on with the lower image? Can just make out 'licensed to sell tobacco' above the door, but not the first word of the top line of the 'cycling prohibited' sign on the left? .....LEY??? Not much help........ 

Wolfe Road for the top image gets my vote. Even though the current building is different, the house to the left looks right, as does the service road in front. Also, looking at the parade of shops, the opposite end that is now a Costcutter and 'Polur Wah' Chinese takeaway has the architecture of the original co-op building. Double front, pitched roof, upper windows in a 2-3-2 pattern. Coincidence maybe, but compelling evidence....?

Not a lot to go on with the lower image? Can just make out 'licensed to sell tobacco' above the door, but not the first word of the top line of the 'cycling prohibited' sign on the left? .....LEY??? Not much help........ 

​Wortley RDC?

On 05/05/2015 at 18:25, sando said:

Vox

I am led to believe the top picture is Wolfe Road, will try and have a look later this week. lots of the estates around the S5 area have very similar architecture.

On 07/05/2015 at 07:45, RLongden said:

Definitely Wolfe Road. My dad had a shop further along the parade. On the parade was a chippy, a haberdasher, a newsagents and our shop which sold general groceries, fruit and veg and provisions and later, on meat. We had the shop from 1961 to about 1976