Last steam passenger trains in Sheffield

Guest The Crab

Guest The Crab

I have heard that the 7.06 train from Sheffield to Leeds was steam hauled "Late into 1967".  I had not heard of this before.  Does anyone know when this finished?

Does anyone know what the rest of the diagram entailed?  What other steam passenger was there in 1967?  There was the Bradford - Poole and the Chinley services but was there anything else?

Although a bit before my time I am sure some can give chapter and verse on this topic.

With regard to the Bradford - Poole service this was definitely steam hauled between Bradford Exchange and Nottingham Midland during the summer of 1966.  A few years ago, with the help of the Mick Hayes, I compiled a listing of the actual locomotives used. As far as I am aware this service was fully diesel operated in 1967.

I had always understood the Hope Valley workings were the last regulars and I am sure I have seen some quite detailed notes about these somewhere. 

Although a bit before my time I am sure some can give chapter and verse on this topic.

With regard to the Bradford - Poole service this was definitely steam hauled between Bradford Exchange and Nottingham Midland during the summer of 1966.  A few years ago, with the help of the Mick Hayes, I compiled a listing of the actual locomotives used. As far as I am aware this service was fully diesel operated in 1967.

I had always understood the Hope Valley workings were the last regulars and I am sure I have seen some quite detailed notes about these somewhere. 

​When we used to sneak into Millhouses sheds the Hope valley line was run by a Midland 4-4-0 that looked like the preserved Midland Compound No.1000. 

Guest The Crab

1966, of course - I must have had my "extra power" rose tinted specs on.

May I expand this slightly?  When did the last steam powered freight appear in Sheffield i) as a regular booked working and ii) as a one-off?

The Midland compounds were frequent visitors to the old Midland station....One, which was probably US ,was left in a bay platform for what seemed like weeks to a 12 year old spotter, back in the mid 50's.

They had all gone by 1960 which was just about the start of my illustrious train-spotting career. The only one I saw was 1000 on a special train, I remember my Dad took me down there to see it.

The only other 4-4-0 I remember seeing in Sheffield was the D11 class Butler-Henderson which I saw at Victoria station, probably also in 1960. As I recall it did not look especially clean, so I guess it was on a normal working rather than a special. About 30 years later I taught two Butler-Henderson brothers, descendants of the great man, whose parents were pleasantly surprised that I was familiar with the name..

Surprised there were so few responses to this back in 2015.

Further information about the Bradford - Poole in the Summers of 1965 & 1966 can be found in 1965 & 1966 'Jubilee' Summers.

The book 'Steam Days on BR 1 - The Midland Line in Sheffield' has a picture of the train taken on 30th July 1966, the caption including the comment "The very last express train diagrammed for steam".

However, I believe there were steam workings on the Hope Valley until the end of 1966.  The key date is 2/1/67 when Hope Valley local trains went fully over to DMU operation and those running through to Manchester diverted from Central into Piccadilly.

p.85 of the 3/67 Railway Observer says "Several steam passenger workings were withdrawn from the end of December (1966).  These included the remaining Buxton (9L) steam turns between Sheffield (Midland) and Chinley".  This I believe is referring to the 07:xx Chinley - Sheffield Midland / 09:39 Sheffield Midland - Chinley which was regularly steam hauled throughout 1966 as I understand it.

There are also various published pictures of the 17:30 Sheffield Midland - Manchester Central steam hauled during 1966. Usually with a Trafford Park (9E) 'Black Five' heading it.  This presumably worked in earlier in the day from Manchester Central.

I'm presuming someone made copious notes of which Hope Valley trains were steam worked in the final weeks of 1966 leading up to the timetable change on 2/1/67.