Instantly Killed by Motor Car

sando

While walking around Rivelin Cemetery I came across the grave of Maurice John Madden, aged 10, instantly killed by motor car on July the 2nd 1915, could this be the first child to be killed by a car on Sheffield's streets? has anyone access to any press articles relating to the accident?

Well found Stuart.

Was this a fact ?

"......... the pedestrian - who has the first right to the road, let it not be forgotten ......."

If it was, I wonder when that changed ?

I seem to recall that there is a very similar monumental inscription in Tinsley Park Cemetery which records that that particular individual was killed by a traction engine.

I came across it whilst investigating the last resting place of several of my wife's ancestors.

I will try and look out the details, unless someone knows anything about the matter already.

On 07/04/2015 at 21:03, sando said:

could this be the first child to be killed by a car on Sheffield's streets?

This one is described as a motor mishap 1907.

motor_mishap_funeral_boy_harrison_30th_august_1907.jpg

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if the introduction of motor vehicles drastically reduced the number of pedestrians run over. Brakes and tyres were probably marginally better than horse drawn traffic, plus the noise of the engine warned of approach, especially on wooden setts which damped the noise of horse shoes.

In 1896 my great auntie Gertie Ryalls aged 5 was run over while crossing Westbar, by a horse and cart driven by William Siddall (employed by Mr Turner of the Pack Horse Hotel). She was taken to the Infirmary but there was no lasting damage.  Here's a drawing of what could well have been the cart that hit her.

648581941_RearofPackHorseInn(withcart).png.f8f2a232ee2cf628cf2cbc9cc3a7ea38.png

My Dad was knocked down by old tram as a kid. My Mum was knocked down by a Bus at the top of Commercial Street, I was knocked down by a Ford Cortina on Hurlfield Road. And my sister was knocked over by a bicycle! 

We were all lucky to be alive afterwards.