Hidden Street

Calvin72

On the corner of Sylvester Street and Arundel Street in the City Centre there is a small cobbled street which now houses some arty units. Part of it can be seen through metal gates and the street appears to continue on the opposite of the road. I managed to access the units the other day (via a friend not a ladder!) and took a photo not visible from the street. Anyone know anything about this small street?

Great pics Steve! The thing that strikes me is the narrowness of the street. The two drain covers at the beginning of the street are still there.

Great pics Steve! The thing that strikes me is the narrowness of the street. The two drain covers at the beginning of the street are still there.

​Well spotted!

Walked past it loads of times, and never noticed it.

Jessop Lane seems to have been a rum place.  It must have provided promotions for quite a few police officers over the years.  Petty thieves of opera glasses, legs of lamb, pigeons lived there, plus a throat cutting by a drunken woman.  I would also avoid number 41 if I were you...

In my 1893 Kelly's it states that Jessop Lane ran from Porter Street to Sylvester Street & Arundel Street and the inhabitants at that time were as follows:

NORTH SIDE

No 7 George Beeley Coal Dealer

No 9 Francis Howard Bricklayer

No 15 Thomas Shimmel Razor Blade Forger

No 25 David Hall Coal Dealer

No 39 Jim Gamble Carter

SOUTH SIDE

No 6 William Wrightson Tailor

No 44 Thomas Brigham Firewood Dealer

That's interesting. if you look close at dave's 1963 map it looks like the street was gated even then.

Does anyone know how a public highway gets to stip being a public highway when it doesn't go out of existence? I've never come across that before.

Reasonably easy, if someone wants the land they apply for an order to stop it being a highway, there is a public notice period and if nobody objects the road stops being adopted by the council. Its happened many times, the applicant has to pay for any council property to be removed, street lights is where I became involved, although there may be items such as drainage services where this is not possible, not sure how this is dealt with. Other utilities, gas, water, electric etc. are also notified and may ask the applicant to pay for diversion works.

A couple that spring to mind are Windsor Street off Attercliffe Road which is adopted for the first part then the rest is a steel firms, and Westbury Street off Staniforth Road, which I think now is part of a tyre company.

Nigel L