Unidentified Attercliffe Street - Help Needed

Unitedite Returns

I would appreciate some help, in identifying the street portrayed in the attached image.

The photograph was taken in 1972, at a time when it seemed important to record those streets around Attercliffe Common that were about to be "redeveloped", [what a clinical term for the wholesale destruction of properties and communities],

Unfortunately, I never recorded the street name, possibly because the name plate had already disappeared.

However, from the other photographs that were taken at the same time, I suspect that the location would have been close to either Amberley Street, or possibly, Newark Street.

If someone can put a name to the location, I would appreciate it greatly

Belmoor Road

​Thanks for your help Steve. I seem to recall that the street signs had already gone, by the time that the above was taken, so I am pleased that someone recognised this long gone location.

There is a similar image of Belmoor Road in the book by Michael Liversidge "Attercliffe - a wander up the cliffe", (page 27).

Comparing Unitedite Returns' photo with this one from Picture Sheffield suggests that perhaps it is not Belmoor Road. The layout of the buildings of the factory is different and the roof line of the houses is also different.

Blaco Road crossed Belmoor Road, so there should be a road going off to the right of the image opposite the further of the two roads seen going off to the left.

Comparing Unitedite Returns' photo with this one from Picture Sheffield suggests that perhaps it is not Belmoor Road. The layout of the buildings of the factory is different and the roof line of the houses is also different.

Blaco Road crossed Belmoor Road, so there should be a road going off to the right of the image opposite the further of the two roads seen going off to the left.

​Wasn't Manningham Road demolished and Brown Baileys extended?

That makes sense now. I did not know about the expansion at Brown Bayleys. Pity I never got the chance to quiz my grandfather about Brown Bayleys as he worked there for some time.

Clearly the change happened in the 25 years between the dates of the Picture Sheffield and Unitedite Returns' photos.

Guys,

The cumulative breadth and depth of knowledge contained within the members of this forum, never fails to astonish. Once again, thank you all for your help.

So, it seems only appropriate that I share with you, some of the other photographs that I took at the same time.

My apologies for the overall quality, but I was but, 15-16 years old at the time, possessed a fair, but somewhat limited camera, [all that could be afforded], and no light meter. So, exposures are based on "best guess".

Some of the very earliest images that I ever captured, but I was able, at the time, to record both, location, and date, [as any good photographer should], but if anyone wishes to comment, please feel free to do so.

Newark Street, Attercliffe-16-09-1972

">43501

Alfred Street, Brightside looking towards English Steel Corporation, River Don Works, also showing Fell Street-16-09-1972

">43502

Guys,

The cumulative breadth and depth of knowledge contained within the members of this forum, never fails to astonish. Once again, thank you all for your help.

So, it seems only appropriate that I share with you, some of the other photographs that I took at the same time.

My apologies for the overall quality, but I was but, 15-16 years old at the time, possessed a fair, but somewhat limited camera, [all that could be afforded], and no light meter. So, exposures are based on "best guess".

Some of the very earliest images that I ever captured, but I was able, at the time, to record both, location, and date, [as any good photographer should], but if anyone wishes to comment, please feel free to do so.

Newark Street, Attercliffe-16-09-1972

Alfred Street, Brightside looking towards English Steel Corporation, River Don Works, also showing Fell Street-16-09-1972

">43502

​Thanks for the photographs Unitedite Returns, I loved old Attercliffe when real Sheffield people lived and worked there, the pubs were a bit special as well. Could you possibly start a topic about old Attercliffe, I would do it myself but have no Sheffield photographs that I can find, I think all mine must have been lost in variouse moves.

Almost 100% sure it's Belmoor road because I lived just off it.

The two roads going off the left were first Scofton Place (iirc) and then Thurley Place which I lived on.

The next road to the left of Belmoor (can't recall the name atm) was a similar straight terraced road, but had front gardens on one side iirc.

Belmoor was the only road I can recall leading directly up to Brown-Baileys in that manner with two side-roads off to the left that ended in railings next to the Rec.

The only thing that jars the memory is the large (bricked?) entrance like shape set into the side of Brown-Baileys. I can't actually recall that, as in my memory it was entirely flat - or corrugated - black from the Rec along Blaco Road to the 'tip' (demolished houses at the end of Brown-Baileys).

Hth. :)

Having a look at the Unidentified Photographs. I'm questioning the theory, photo is Belmoor Road. The last houses before the Steelworks of the photo in question has a larger chimney stack with 3 pots in a line. Belmoor Road photo does not. On the map Blaco Street intercepts Belmoor Road then there is a block of 8 houses. The photo in question is more than 8 houses with no road intersecting.

Of course, Manningham Road demolition and the extention would put the photograph further back up Belmoor Road.

I think there was a photograph in a similar position showing the extension to the steelworks on Picture Sheffield, unfortunately some of the street photographs taken are as you are aware, subject to a copyright restriction and aren't available to view on line. At one time they were available to view on the browsers in Local Studies only. Not sure about the restrictions or the set up now.