Odd House Manor

History dude

I'm really curious about what this building was used for. On the maps below it doesn't seem to have road access and that would make it not practical as a farm, besides it is very close to the Low Farm. In the 1855 map it's not even given that name! But it does show a collection of buildings rather then just the one. I did see a census which seem to indicate that it was used by a game keeper. So was it a game keepers house?

I found it hard to find in the census. I don't think there are pictures of it and it was destroyed with the building of the Manor Estate around 1919 to 1921.

Any information on it would be great.

John Siddall lived at Odd House in 1857 – he placed an advert for his lost mastiff dog.

At the 1861 John Siddall, gamekeeper lived at “Gamekeepers House”, one entry away from Low Farm

In 1854 Siddall was gamekeeper to the Duke of Rutland at Curbar but moved to an occupation as gamekeeper to Messrs Harrison and Wood, who had the shooting rights in Bowden Housesteads Wood at Handsworth.

In 1863 Siddall found a man’s body in the woods – in the newspaper report Siddall’s residence was named as Bowden House

In 1868 Siddall was still a gamekeeper for Mr Harrison, but was living at Tinsley Park, and was accused of stealing a greyhound from the Greenland Arms at Darnall.

By 1871 Siddall was retired and living at 201 Main Street, Darnall.

In April 1872 George Spencer was the gamekeeper living at Odd House (he had found a brown and white greyhound in Manor Wood)

The Yorkshire Agricultural Society's Meeting held in Sheffield, August 1852.
J Jagger, Odd House, Sheffield Park.