Wolf Hall

ukelele lady

I've been watching the series Wolf Hall on the tv but it has now come to an end, I also enjoyed watching

the Tudors too when that was being shown.

What I noticed in both these programs was in some scenes they would be drinking out of metal goblets

and in other scenes they would be drinking out of wine glasses in fact the last one of Wolfe Hall to be shown

they actually had a glass jug on the table which they poured the drink from.

May query is did they have wineglasses and glass jugs in the mid 1500s?

This is giving me sleepless nights :blink: :)

ukelele lady - don't have nightmares:

Drinking glasses have been found in Roman British barrows, and are therefore very ancient: but Shakespeare makes Falstaff say, "People did not drink out of glass when they had plate". Wine was usually filled out of a bowl into cups.

from Domestic Life in England, 1835

From what I can tell drinking vessels made of glass were imported into England from Venice by the rich people and as this series is about the rich people in Henry's court, that's not a problem. It seems on the whole to have been very good historically. I was saying to my mum (when watching it the other week) that Henry dressed in Yellow when his first wife died. Five minutes later after she had died, Henry was indeed dressed in Yellow :P. So that impressed me.

Like most of these historical dramas set in that period the only fault would have to be the quality of some of the exterior and interior stonework or woodwork. Back then it would have looked fresh and new and the dark oak panels would have not been dark. They would have looked like they had been just fitted and new.

Glassware was more common by the Elizabethan period. The word "glass" even in Shakespearean times was not meaning a drinking vessel, but a mirror.

The diet was if you were rich, basically if it moved you eat it. Though I do recall Cardinal Wolsey during his stay at Sheffield Manor being served baked pears.

If you were poor you would have boiled cabbage and the like. For this reason the rich didn't eat any veg, as it was considered a peasant food.

The woman who wrote Wolf Hall did use historical facts for it, though it is a novel, therefore not completely accurate. But way more than that terrible Tudors. The guy who did that has had done the same thing to Mary Stuart. It's called "Reign" the TV series, but it's yet to air in the UK. You can get it on Amazon though. And yes it's just as bad as the Henry one!

Thanks for that Hdude I'll look forward to watching that if ever it comes our way, this era really intrigues me.