Sign in to follow this  
andy1702

30 Years Of 'dufff Duffs'... Happy Birthday Eastenders!

I just thought I should mark the occasion that 30 years ago tonight, at 7pm, I sat down (along with a few other people) to watch the very first episode of Eastenders.

Interestingly, it would be better called Northenders, as the show is actually shot in Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, in special dedicated facilities forming part of BBC Elstree, which is also responsible for Casualty and Grange Hill. The studio in question was only purchased to make Eastenders and had previously been owned by ATV who made many of their network shows there during the 60's and 70's. The main office block features in the opening credits of Gerry Anderson's UFO.

The current exterior set, which has been in use since 1985, features a small memorial garden. The names carved on the memorial are actually those of the crew when the show began.

Albert Square is about to be demolished and a new, bigger exterior set built, including a new Queen Vic. As this is going to be constructed on the same site, while building work is in progress outside scenes will be shot on a new temporary set, which will be kept for possible public exhibition once the new permanent Albert Square is completed.

Confusingly other BBC shows such as Strictly and Children in Need are not shot at BBC Elstree but across the road at the seperate Elstree Studios.