Sheffield Trams

Sheffield History

and have gold fleetnumbers! can anyone photoshop? would look amazing I think

A very quick shop ...

I'll have a better go later

If anyone has a hi res pic of of the trams in the original livery it would be easier, i can't seam to find one on google

Except Sheffield trams never used route numbers, unlike the buses. I've never found out why this was the case.

Correct, they didn't have route numbers

But they seemed to have 2 destination boards, one above the other. (The hand crank roller blind type)

Why?

Can they go to 2 places at once?

Does one say where its going to and the other where its coming from?

Would a single destination board have been sufficient?

Correct, they didn't have route numbers

But they seemed to have 2 destination boards, one above the other. (The hand crank roller blind type)

Why?

Can they go to 2 places at once?

Does one say where its going to and the other where its coming from?

Would a single destination board have been sufficient?

The destination boards were used as follows top box "INTAKE (ELM TREE)"

The bottom one "and DARNALL"

This meant the tram was going to Manor Top and then down Prince of Wales Road to Darnall.

If it the top box said INTAKE and the bottom box was blank it went to Manor Top and then down to Intake terminus near the Rex Cinema.

There must have been many other routes like this where both boxes were required.

jiginc

The destination boards were used as follows top box "INTAKE (ELM TREE)"

The bottom one "and DARNALL"

This meant the tram was going to Manor Top and then down Prince of Wales Road to Darnall.

If it the top box said INTAKE and the bottom box was blank it went to Manor Top and then down to Intake terminus near the Rex Cinema.

There must have been many other routes like this where both boxes were required.

jiginc

The lower blind was often used for intermediate points, such as the Wadsley Bridge to Woodseats trams which ran either via Shoreham Street or Queens Road, and showed via Shoreham St or via Queens Rd in the lower blind.

Another was the routes to Sheffield Lane Top, where there was a choice of via Pitsmoor or Attercliffe, again shown in the lower screen.

A very quick shop ...

If anyone has a hi res pic of of the trams in the original livery it would be easier, i can't seam to find one on google

There is a selection of shots from the early days to the present time here:

http://www.carolinemathews.org/sheffieldtrams.html

Some of the earlier photos are scanned from prints, so if any are suitable I can provide larger images to work with if required. Similarly, those from 2006 onwards are reductions from larger images which might be more useful.

My attempts at photoshopping so far have been woeful (I blame old photo editing software, although it is probably more to do with my lack of skill :) )

A very quick shop ...

excellent attempt Rich, there is a pic of tram 46 based at Crich further up this thread ^^^^

more blue on the lower section

Andy

It would be great to see one of Super Trams in the old Sheffield livery. LIke has been said, it would create a lot of publicity for Stagecoach, and would certainly get noticed!

I think something should be done at the Tram Sheds for the 50th. I'll have a think on what is best to do. Any suggestions folks?

Were the rails took up inside Gareth or simply concreted over? if not time to hire a pneumatic drill??? hehe

There is a selection of shots from the early days to the present time here:

http://www.carolinemathews.org/sheffieldtrams.html

Some of the earlier photos are scanned from prints, so if any are suitable I can provide larger images to work with if required. Similarly, those from 2006 onwards are reductions from larger images which might be more useful.

My attempts at photoshopping so far have been woeful (I blame old photo editing software, although it is probably more to do with my lack of skill :) )

What a fantastic web site you have madannie.

Why don't we put a permenant link to it from the Sheffield web sites section?

Or why don't you add it to your signature so that it shows and is available in every post you make, a bit like Stuart0742 has done with the Mrs Miggins Pie and Link fairy sites?

What a fantastic web site you have madannie.

Why don't we put a permenant link to it from the Sheffield web sites section?.

Or why don't you add it to your signature so that it shows and is available in every post you make, a bit like Stuart0742 has done with the Mrs Miggins Pie and Link fairy sites?

Another of my failings - an inability to blow my own trumpet (no musical or artistic talent - hmmmm). For whatever reason I always feel uncomfortable when advertising my own wares (perhaps this is one reason why I am out of work at the moment).

Much of what is on my websites is also not historical (apart from being a record of recent times) or Sheffield related, but a bit of searching will reveal the Sheffield stuff (some of it near the bottom of the page).

Right. Back to the photo editing software :wacko:

what software do you use ?

I've been using photoshop since version 3 but gave up upgrading at v8 as it did all i needed it to do.

what software do you use ?

I've been using photoshop since version 3 but gave up upgrading at v8 as it did all i needed it to do.

I've got several photo editing tools: nothing particularly wrong with any of them, it is just I am not used to anything more than a bit of brightness/contrast/sharpness manipulation and I am now trying to run before I can walk. I shall probably have a suitably manipulated photo of a Supertram for the 51st anniversary of the 1960 abandonment at the rate I am going.

Guest gareth388

Were the rails took up inside Gareth or simply concreted over? if not time to hire a pneumatic drill??? hehe

Yes, most were left in, and just concreted over. The tracks in the yard are slowly being exposed, as the tarmac disintegrates.

Inside, the pits and tracks which ran full length of the depot were just filled in, and concreted over in the early 60's. :)

That looks great but (purely from an aesthetics point of view) I think it needs a pinstripe just below window level.

yeah that looks better...

Yes, most were left in, and just concreted over. The tracks in the yard are slowly being exposed, as the tarmac disintegrates.

Inside, the pits and tracks which ran full length of the depot were just filled in, and concreted over in the early 60's. :)

great!, I bet the cold weather has helped with the outdoor tarmac! So that could be something to look into uncovering some of the inside tracks? maybe to get some of it useable? just need a big hammer and chisel!

yeah that looks better...

I would say more blue, Up to the windows maybe then cream from there upwards? with some gold pinstripe around the blue

I would say more blue, Up to the windows maybe then cream from there upwards? with some gold pinstripe around the blue

I would say you definitely need a blue stripe just below the windows and reduce the height of the lower stripe.

I have contacted Supertram and it has been forwarded to the management team so will let you all know the outcome! fingers crossed eh?

I have contacted Supertram and it has been forwarded to the management team so will let you all know the outcome! fingers crossed eh?

Good work.

Guest transit

.... any update / feedback yet Andy ?

Guest transit

Nothing as yet mate, Not holding my breath tho

Andy

.... surely a public awareness / Stagecoach Supertram publicity stunt missed if they show no interest ?

I would have thought they would have jumped at the chance ! - hopefully they will !

Thanks Andy.

Guest bus man

I would say you definitely need a blue stripe just below the windows and reduce the height of the lower stripe.

NO No No it needs a thin red stripe - please