Sheffield Trams

Sheffield History

Guest bus man

Here Goes

Photo 1

High St nr to fitzalen sq outside C&A

Photo 2

Wicker arches looking along arch towards pitsmoor taken from victoria hotel steps and shows a rotherham single ended car - BRILLIANT

Photo 3

I think this is pinstone street looking towards the town hall and what is now the peaace gardens

PHOTO 4

Out side the cathedral

My cousin sent this photo with the following email:

I've got a booklet I've had for quite a few years called "Sheffield Trams Remembered". One shot is of an accident at the bottom of Derbyshire lane. I don't think you'll remember it - I think you must have been about 2 or 3 but you may have heard accounts of it from members of the family. A "Bluebird Toffee" van ran away down Derbyshire lane, went straight across Chesterfield Road into a tram and knocked it over. It happened just before the kids came out of school. I remember going down to look at it with Martin and Auntie Winifred. I think she must have been taking us somewhere or collecting us because I remember standing at the tram stop on the other side of Chesterfield Road, looking at the wreckage - I remember one bloke with blood all over his face. In fact, in the photo in the booklet, you can see Martin, Auntie Winifred and I standing in a crowd by the tram stop.

where did all the old trams get scrapped?

Hi Stefan

Welcome to the site.

Most of Sheffield's Trams were cut up and burned by T W Wards just opposite Tinsley Tram Sheds.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but I came across this today.

1960's Sheffield Trams - Photo's and info.

There's also a visitor feedback page with some interesting stories.

I think it has, but I've no idea where or when.

Anyway good link with some great photo's

Guest transit

as this year is 50 years since the last tram ran should there be an event or something to commemerate this?

...yes ! - my suggestion would be to paint a Supertram in the old prussion blue and cream Sheff Tramway livery ? Could anyone on here put a word in at Stagecoach !? ;-)

I think the only "celebration" as yet, will be at the October open day at the South Yorkshire Transport Museum at Aldwalke.

...yes ! - my suggestion would be to paint a Supertram in the old prussion blue and cream Sheff Tramway livery ? Could anyone on here put a word in at Stagecoach !? ;-)

could we not get a big group together to put pressure on Stagecoach, I'm sure there is someone who works for supertram over on the sy transport forum, it would need to be a unified group so they would listen. some of them must be due a repaint by now too

...yes ! - my suggestion would be to paint a Supertram in the old prussion blue and cream Sheff Tramway livery

And then do all the others the same.

And then leave them that way. :)

Guest transit

could we not get a big group together to put pressure on Stagecoach, I'm sure there is someone who works for supertram over on the sy transport forum, it would need to be a unified group so they would listen. some of them must be due a repaint by now too

..... sounds good to me ! - i am sure there would be a tram in for repairs ect down at Nunnery that could have a quick paint makeover while in there !

They wouldn't have to repaint it, vinyl wrap would do the trick, I'm pretty sure thats all the east midlands trains one has been done in

They wouldn't have to repaint it, vinyl wrap would do the trick, I'm pretty sure thats all the east midlands trains one has been done in

yeah and for the buzz and attention it would get it would make great advertising for the tram wouldnt it?

And then do all the others the same.

And then leave them that way. :)

Don't forget to put that Sheffield Transport coat of arms on the side of it as well lol

and have gold fleetnumbers! can anyone photoshop? would look amazing I think

..and have a numbered service

..and have a hand cranked windey on roller blind type thing for a destination board. lol

..and have a numbered service

..and have a hand cranked windey on roller blind type thing for a destination board. lol

Except Sheffield trams never used route numbers, unlike the buses. I've never found out why this was the case.

Exactly which style of the blue and white livery would go best on a very long single deck tram, though. There are at least three to choose from. Perhaps one of each, and don't forget the fantastic green livery of the early fifties :o

Exactly which style of the blue and white livery would go best on a very long single deck tram, though. There are at least three to choose from. Perhaps one of each, and don't forget the fantastic green livery of the early fifties :o

eeergh! not the green! I would say like tram 46 at Crich

Guest transit

...i think that with Supertram being single deck , maybe bottom half Prussion Blue upto window level , then cream above. The blue should be "edged" with ornate gold pinstriping , and "Sheffield Corporation Tramways" lettering - also gold , plus the Coat of Arms on either side , and each end.?

As for the green livery , i dont think any single decks - buses and trams - were painted.

Guest gareth388

...i think that with Supertram being single deck , maybe bottom half Prussion Blue upto window level , then cream above. The blue should be "edged" with ornate gold pinstriping , and "Sheffield Corporation Tramways" lettering - also gold , plus the Coat of Arms on either side , and each end.?

As for the green livery , i dont think any single decks - buses and trams - were painted.

It would be great to see one of Super Trams in the old Sheffield livery. LIke has been said, it would create a lot of publicity for Stagecoach, and would certainly get noticed!

I think something should be done at the Tram Sheds for the 50th. I'll have a think on what is best to do. Any suggestions folks?