Sheffield Trams

Sheffield History

Guest moira

I used to get free rides on the trams in Sheffield, my Uncle drove the Tower Wagon that put the cables back up if they were blown down or after accidents. He was out on the night of the Sheffield blitz with the Wagon trying to sort out the mess to keep the trams running, he was injured from falling rubble but carried on through the night.

Can you remember the conductor going round a the terminus and pushing the backs of the seats over so the passengers faced the way the tram was heading.

Moira

Here we see the seats being turned into the opposite direction so that they are facing the other way !

• Like 1

here you go stuart :blink:

Godd photos, classic Sheffield locations, except the last one what is the location of that one

Guest Shaun Gisby

Godd photos, classic Sheffield locations, except the last one what is the location of that one

That is stored at OxenHope

Guest transit

That tram 513 is now preserved / restored and is located at Beamish Museum up near Newcastle , although regretably without the "last tram" livery as seen on this photo . It was painted like that to "signify" the end of the Sheffield trams in Oct 1960 . Another tram of the same batch - which were affectionally known as the "Roberts" or "Jubilee" cars - 510 ,is preserved at Crich , in full "Last Tram" glory ! although the hand painted tram paintings were put at advert level ,and "last tram" lettering on the bottom panels ,so as to tell the difference for the tram drivers !

BTW , just by coincidence , my wifes grandad was the person who signwrote both these trams, back in the day ,at Central Works !!!!! :o

I loved the trams, especially when you got to Millhouses terminus and they used to turn the seats round by pulling the back forward. The last time I rode on one was up at Beamish, so wonder if it was one of these? We'd taken a group of students in wheelchairs and they sent down one of the trams that we could get them into, by placing them along the carriage. Although I don't think that was a Sheffield tram though. ;-)

Guest bus man

Right here goes bearing in mind i was only 6 months old when the last tram ran

Photo 1 tram 518 - Meadowhead think on a tour

2 531 - Fitzallen Sq

3 222 - Flat street

4 508 - Abbey Lane terminus jn abbeydale road south outside the beachief post office

5 513 - as said above oxenhope yard on keighley and worth valley railway

Is the bottom photo at Heeley Bridge? looks familiar

Yes, Looking away from Sheffield, on the right is Heeley station building, the building is still in use as a scrap yard. Under the bridge can be seen Heeley cinema and Ponsfords.

Guest transit

Is the bottom photo at Heeley Bridge? looks familiar

....third one - the area NOW - taken just outside TGi Friday's beside Meadowhall , Tinsley Viaduct in the background :o

Guest Gramps

Yes, Looking away from Sheffield, on the right is Heeley station building, the building is still in use as a scrap yard. Under the bridge can be seen Heeley cinema and Ponsfords.

When I was a lad, - or should I say 'Yoof' ?, - there was a Post Office in that building on the left hand side; on the right hand side was a coffee bar cum youth club complete with Teddy Boys, chicks in tight jumpers and dirndl skirts and a juke box with the latest Rock-n-Roll top twenty.

When I was a lad, - or should I say 'Yoof' ?, - there was a Post Office in that building on the left hand side; on the right hand side was a coffee bar cum youth club complete with Teddy Boys, chicks in tight jumpers and dirndl skirts and a juke box with the latest Rock-n-Roll top twenty.

Sounds a wonderful place (chicks in tight jumpers :rolleyes: ), on closer examination it is a Post Office in the photo

Hi all,

Late into this topic as well (not surprising, as I only joined yesterday).

There is an article about the preservation of 513 in Tramway Review Issue 172 (Winter 1997).

I remember riding 513 at Blackpool in 1985 on a typical summer's day. Couple of photos attached. The trolley pole looks a bit wonky!

We were at Beamish a year or so ago and I made a point of going to the tram sheds to see if 513 was still there...I had ridden on it there ten years or more ago.....but she had gone!!

The rumor was she located back in Blackpool at that time.

As I said this was over twelve months since so this could have changed.

Guest transit

Hi all,

Late into this topic as well (not surprising, as I only joined yesterday).

There is an article about the preservation of 513 in Tramway Review Issue 172 (Winter 1997).

I remember riding 513 at Blackpool in 1985 on a typical summer's day. Couple of photos attached. The trolley pole looks a bit wonky!

....shame about the stupid , oversized adverts (although hopefully sponsered) - would love to see it back to its "Last Tram" glory !

Found a book in the library recently with some very good photos of trams from the 1950/60s.

Riding the Sheffield Lines; a book of photographs by Bernard Mettam.

Available from http://youbooks.co.uk/index.php?option=com...0&Itemid=44 £12.99 post free.

Picture of the front cover is here.

I can fully recommend this book to anyone interested in the Sheffield of the fifties.

Guest Gramps

Picture of the front cover is here.

I can fully recommend this book to anyone interested in the Sheffield of the fifties.

Me too - the streets scenes are as nostalgic as the trams; I probably travelled on most of them. Disappointed though not to see an interior with wooden seats, there were still a few of them around when I was a lad.