Sheffield Trams

Sheffield History

Guest transit

NO No No it needs a thin red stripe - please

...my suggestion would be an interpretation of this style livery - as on 189 at Crich??? - just the bottom half anyway !!!....

.... surely a public awareness / Stagecoach Supertram publicity stunt missed if they show no interest ?

I would have thought they would have jumped at the chance ! - hopefully they will !

Thanks Andy.

yes I suggested it would be good publicity in the email I sent so heres hoping!

Andy

...my suggestion would be an interpretation of this style livery - as on 189 at Crich??? - just the bottom half anyway !!!....

yes Deffinately! that livery looks great on 189 and would look good on a modern tram too, similar to 46 also at crich so it proves it would work on a single deck too

Andy

Guest transit

yes Deffinately! that livery looks great on 189 and would look good on a modern tram too, similar to 46 also at crich so it proves it would work on a single deck too

Andy

...heres a pic of 189 .....

Guest transit

Andy

...heres a pic of 189 .....

Andy

Can't argue with that.

Realistically.

If Stagecoach pass up on this idea it would be tragic BUT:

It could end up looking like a Disney theme park ride.

I do doubt whether they'd be prepared to do without the advertising revenue for the duration.

(Can you imagine the old livery with modern adverts plastered all over it.)

My guess would be that, if they do take the idea on board, and they don't trash the idea with adverts, we'd be lucky to see more than a couple painted up.

That's me, Cynical as they come. <_<

Guest transit

Can't argue with that.

Realistically.

If Stagecoach pass up on this idea it would be tragic BUT:

It could end up looking like a Disney theme park ride.

I do doubt whether they'd be prepared to do without the advertising revenue for the duration.

(Can you imagine the old livery with modern adverts plastered all over it.)

My guess would be that, if they do take the idea on board, and they don't trash the idea with adverts, we'd be lucky to see more than a couple painted up.

That's me, Cynical as they come. <_<

... to be honest - we are only thinking of ONE !!!!

As regards lost revenue , i am sure this would easily be recouped - even increased if anything , with all the media interest , in newspapers and monthly magazines , enthusiast tours ect , and a resulting public awareness , maybe even interest , from younger kids wanting to ride the "Sheffield " tram !!!! ... and of course all the free publicity and a pat on the back for Stagecoach themselves......who would be on a win - win situation !!!

err the picture above has advertising on it ????

... to be honest - we are only thinking of ONE !!!!

Oh - I see. :)

err the picture above has advertising on it ????

Yes but it's a bit more tasteful than the sort of thing we've come to expect nowadays.

how good would this look on the centre section !!!........

Yeah i would settle for just a centre section doing too! would look good and show the new livery up for what it is!

Yeah i would settle for just a centre section doing too! would look good and show the new livery up for what it is!

well not wishing to blow my own trumpet but they listened to what i had to say, not sure it was all down to my email either but they have done a tram in what is supposed to be "retro" livery, not too sure about the blue they used but good on Supertram for commemorating the occasion! shame Crich didnt want to play ball

Another of my failings - an inability to blow my own trumpet (no musical or artistic talent - hmmmm). For whatever reason I always feel uncomfortable when advertising my own wares (perhaps this is one reason why I am out of work at the moment).

Much of what is on my websites is also not historical (apart from being a record of recent times) or Sheffield related, but a bit of searching will reveal the Sheffield stuff (some of it near the bottom of the page).

Right. Back to the photo editing software :wacko:

What about applying for this job madannie. W/E.

of course this is the picture we were all hoping for on Saturday...

510 looks in a sorry state now with lots of cracking varnish on the upper deck

....great pics once again Andy - thanks for sharing ! ;-)

no problem, its just a shame 510 wasnt out on Saturday, out of the sheffield trams only 74 was out

no problem, its just a shame 510 wasnt out on Saturday, out of the sheffield trams only 74 was out

Is 513 still around, and did anymore Roberts cars escape the scrap man? W/E.

I must say how much I enjoyed reminiscing about our old, but wonderful, tram system. I especially liked one of the shots showing the queue, in the middle of the road outside C& A, protected from the traffic by a white line. What would 'elf'n safety have to say about that?

A small point, the video( posted 12 Oct) refers to South Yorkshire. This is incorrect. The County was created in 1972, several years after the "last"(old)tram ran.

A small point, the video( posted 12 Oct) refers to South Yorkshire. This is incorrect. The County was created in 1972, several years after the "last"(old)tram ran.

Yes its confusing lysander, but I think Sheffield has always been refered to as being in South Yorkshire. In the 50s we proudly wore South Yorkshire badges on our scout shirts. W/E.

Is 513 still around, and did anymore Roberts cars escape the scrap man? W/E.

513 belongs to Beamish Museum, but was sent on extended loan to the East Anglian Transport Museum at Carlton Colville a few years ago. I assume it is still there.

I don't think any other Roberts cars survived.

Yes, I remember those badges...Yorkshire was divided in three..."thridings"...which became "Ridings". With West, North and East....There was no rational possibility of a South but I accept people did talk of the South Riding. I seem to remember a novel had that title. Sheffield was a County Borough.

However, the name South Yorkshire/Riding had no legal standing until Harold Wilson came along and, as well as ruining Whitsuntide and its Whit Monday parades, gave us a new County...which lasted until MHT decided it was too powerful!

Only 510 and 513 escaped. They survived because they were both specially painted for the last tram procession. The story has it that the tiny figures painted as drivers, conductors and passengers in the paintings on the two trams were actually characatures of the tramway management and council leaders of the day! Incidentally both trams were painted differently. 510 carries the wording 'SHEFFIELD'S LAST TRAM' on the ends, while 513 carried 'LAST TRAM WEEK'. This is because 513 was at the head of the procession and 510 was at the back, so it was really the last tram.

510 wasn't the last tram for long though. Within a year or so horse car 15 was back for Christmas, trundling up and down on the disused tracks, making the actual last tram on the first generation tramway one that was pulled by a horse! It also returned in the early days of Supertram, making it the only Sheffield car to operate on all three horse, electric and modern systems.

Horse tram 15 on The moor in 1961

Horse tram 15 in 1994