Gatehouses Of Sheffield

Guest PMG50

I see what you mean.

It was an assumption made because I thought the land round there belonged to Pisgah House originally, and was later split up.

We need got an earlier map from before the surrounding roads were built.

From a quick search around, Pisgah House is the oldest listed residence in Broomhill.

The gate house was clearly at the entrance to Etruria House, next door, in 1903. My assumption was that the land was part of Pisgah before Etruria was built. I don't know how I came up with that idea.

From a quick search around, Pisgah House is the oldest listed residence in Broomhill.

The gate house was clearly at the entrance to Etruria House, next door, in 1903. My assumption was that the land was part of Pisgah before Etruria was built. I don't know how I came up with that idea.

Etruria House it is then, one time residence of John George Graves.

The oldest gatehose in Sheffield still standing has to be the Turret House on the Manor Lodge site, which was built around 1574. You can still the remians of where the gatepost used to be on the middle on one side of the house. The other side simply had a wall joined on.

The gatepost "gap" can be seen in this picture:

The grate below covers the remains of a well that wasn't sunk till much later and was used as part of the farm house (as a drinking water supply) that was built onto the side of the Turret House many years after the site was no longer used as a luxury residence.

Cinderhill Lane, Norton S8

I believe this was the gatehouse to the larger building which is now Little Angels nursery, accessed from Bochum Parkway?

ScreenShot2015-01-20at115044_zps63b5471f

ScreenShot2015-01-20at115411_zps98bd493b

gardenhomepage.jpg

Cinderhill Lane, Norton S8

I believe this was the gatehouse to the larger building which is now Little Angels nursery, accessed from Bochum Parkway?

Not 100% sure, could be Jordanthope House or Jordanthope Farm.

c.1924.

c.1938

Do the caretakers houses at the gates of schools count ? There are a few of those left.

Would have thought that school caretakers houses would be better off with its own topic?

Not 100% sure, could be Jordanthope House or Jordanthope Farm.

attachicon.gifc.1924.jpg

c.1924.

attachicon.gifc.1938.jpg

c.1938

Jordanthorpe House presumably. Jordanthorpe Farm was Fracis Chantreys birthplace and was only ever a simple farm house as far as I know.

I live next to Cinderhill Lane and never realised that the fish pond shown on your map behind Jordanthorpe House is still there...

ScreenShot2015-01-21at141134_zpsab161bce