Gatehouses Of Sheffield

Guest PMG50

Gatehouses were originally built at the entrances of large manor houses or buildings of importance. Sometimes the manor houses or larger buildings they were 'serving' were demolished and their gatehouses remain!

How many can people think of in Sheffield?

A few I can think of:

Hemper Lane (top of Beauchief Drive), S8

2ilzg2d.jpg

Oakes Park (on School Lane), S8

2r3e643.jpg

Good topic to start PMG50!

What we need is a list, (approximate year of construction if possible).

==========================================================

Gatehouses to manor houses, estates and buildings of importance, including cemeteries.

Abbeydale Road South, Abbeydale Grange Lodge, S7.

Archer Lane, Archer House, S7.

Brincliffe Edge Road/Quarry Lane, Brincliffe Towers, S11.

Broomhall Road/Wharncliffe Road, S10.

Cemetery Avenue, General Cemetery, S11.

Cinderhill Lane, Jordanthorpe Hall estate, Norton, S8

Crookes Road, Etruria House, S10.

Derbyshire Lane, Norton Cemetery, S8.

East Bank Road, Queen's Tower Lodge, S2.

Ecclesall Road/Collegiate Crescent, S11.

Endcliffe Vale Road/Endcliffe Hall Avenue, Endcliffe Hall, S 10.

Heeley Bank Road, St. Elizabeth's Home (Little Sisters of the Poor), S2.

Hemper Lane (top of Beauchief Drive), Beauchief Hall, S8.

Infirmary Road/Montgomery Terrace Road, Royal Infirmary hospital, S6.

Kenwood Road/Cherry Tree Road, Kenwood Hall, S7.

Kenwood Road/Rundle Road, Kenwood Hall, S7.

Manchester Road, Tapton Holt, S10.

Manor Lane, Turret House, Manor Lodge, S2.

Middlewood Road, Middlewood Hospital, S6.

Norton Church Road, Norton Hall, S8.

Park Grange Road, Norfolk Lodge, S2.

Sandygate Road/Coldwell Lane, The Towers Lodge, S10.

School Lane, Oakes Park, S8.

Union Road, Ecclesall Union Workhouse, Nether Edge, S11.

===================================================

Gatehouses and lodges to public parks.

Cobnar Road, entrance to Graves Park, S8.

Ecclesall Rd/Collegiate Crescent

and as it was

Broomhall Rd/Wharncliffe Rd

Abbeydale Rd, opposite Tesco, entrance to Abbeydale grange?

Ecclesall Rd/Collegiate Crescent

attachicon.gifecc rd coll cres.jpg

and as it was

attachicon.gifcollegiate school2.jpg

Broomhall Rd/Wharncliffe Rd

attachicon.gif

broomhall.jpg

Abbeydale Rd, opposite Tesco, entrance to Abbeydale grange?

attachicon.gifAbbdle rd.jpg

I thought the one on Ecclesalll Rd / Collegiate Crescent was a Catch Bar Toll house? And the one Broomhall Rd/ Wharncliffe Rd wasn't that the entry to a private park?

I thought the one on Ecclesalll Rd / Collegiate Crescent was a Catch Bar Toll house? And the one Broomhall Rd/ Wharncliffe Rd wasn't that the entry to a private park?

Collegiate Crescent.

Collegiate Crescent.

attachicon.gifCollegiate.jpg

The Broomhall Rd one I always assumed was the gate to Broom Hall which is just along the road. The one on Ecclesall Rd is identical or nearly so, so perhaps that was connected also? Either way I'm sure it's a gated private road not a toll road. Whiteley Wood Road, formerly Meadow Lane, was a gated road to Whiteley Wood Hall, with gates and a lodge near the junction with Hangingwater and a gate outside Meadow Lane Farm. It was marked on the Enclosures Act map as a private carriage road.

I don't think the one on the corner of Ecclesall Rd and Collegiate Crescent is or was a gate house for Broomhall, its a good distance away just of Park Lane and when it was built any gate house would have been a bit closer plus the architecture is undoubtedly Victorian. I know that I've read it in one of my books that it was a Toll house of some kind.

The similarity to the one on Broomhall Rd is notable, the distance from Broom Hall I'm not sure is a factor, the one off Hangingwater is over twice the distance from Whiteley Wood Hall but is related to the hall. If it was a toll house, what toll road was it related to? There was a toll house at Hunters Bar, but how would a catch bar on Ecclesall Rd catch an alternative route?The engraving of the house on Ecclesall Rd shows a gate, not a toll bar. I'm happy to accept the building is not necessarily connected to Broom Hall, but two gate houses of the same design at either end of a private gated road seems to me to be a more likely option. There are other buildings on Park Lane of a similar design that could have performed the same function. Park Lane took its name from the park surrounding Broom Hall, and the first houses in Broomhall were in a rural setting within the parkland.

The similarity to the one on Broomhall Rd is notable, the distance from Broom Hall I'm not sure is a factor, the one off Hangingwater is over twice the distance from Whiteley Wood Hall but is related to the hall. If it was a toll house, what toll road was it related to? There was a toll house at Hunters Bar, but how would a catch bar on Ecclesall Rd catch an alternative route?The engraving of the house on Ecclesall Rd shows a gate, not a toll bar. I'm happy to accept the building is not necessarily connected to Broom Hall, but two gate houses of the same design at either end of a private gated road seems to me to be a more likely option. There are other buildings on Park Lane of a similar design that could have performed the same function. Park Lane took its name from the park surrounding Broom Hall, and the first houses in Broomhall were in a rural setting within the parkland.

On reading your post I think you are correct, the gate house is for a private road. I've tried to find the house in the 1894 Kellys but it doesn't seem to be there so was it built in late 1894 or after.

On reading your post I think you are correct, the gate house is for a private road. I've tried to find the house in the 1894 Kellys but it doesn't seem to be there so was it built in late 1894 or after.

And on thinking over what you said, I think my assumption of the connection with Broom Hall is wrong, and they were most likely the entrances to a gated private road, more likely connected with the grand houses being built there at the time.

Annie Fox, (coal dealer).
329, Langsett Road, Sheffield
Whites 1905

Also, it appears that it isn't/wasn't a gatehouse. According to Picture Sheffield it was a toll bar.

Thank you for the responses everyone! Interesting stuff!

Another I've thought of - Norton Church Road, serving Norton Hall, S8.

Thanks for doing the list Steve!

Google Streetview

If you look carefully on the photo of the Langsett Rd house there is a sort of triangular mark in the stone work on the upper storey. I was told that this mark was where the toll house had its frontage removed when the road was widened. Toll houses needed windows looking in both/all directions to see what was coming along the road.

Lyn

=======================

Edit:

Also, in regard to the toll house, there's a rebate in the stonework down the front corner of the gable end.

What was that for i wonder ? Maybe something to do with the bar ?

There is one at the corner of Cherry Tree Rd and Kenwood Rd in Nether Edge as well. I cant quite negotiate a good picture of it on Google maps though so somebody with better skills than me will have to fill in.

If you look carefully on the photo of the Langsett Rd house there is a sort of triangular mark in the stone work on the upper storey. I was told that this mark was where the toll house had its frontage removed when the road was widened. Toll houses needed windows looking in both/all directions to see what was coming along the road.

Lyn

=======================

Edit:

attachicon.giflang toll.jpg

Picture Sheffield

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s16151&pos=2&action=zoom&id=18886

Before alterations and showing the gate where the rebate is.

Dave