Well Known

SteveHB

I thought it was Norfolk Park. My husband thinks it's near the Alms houses, so near to the Cholera gardens as Hugh said.

Your husband is correct, the photographer is in the Cholera Monument grounds looking towards Norfolk Road, and the Shrewsbury Hospital (Almshouses).

Can we have a then and now shot?

I don't think you would see a deal Thylacine, those trees have grown since the photo was taken,

both in the grounds and in front of the Almshouses.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps?ll=53.376919,-1.457437&spn=0.001718,0.003648&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=53.37698,-1.457555&panoid=Q7crmUx3vwOqboMqGToeZw&cbp=12,203.69,,0,1.8

The smaller of the two Chimneys is Park Baths and you can see why Sky Edge was given that name too.

I would say the larger (taller) of the two was the baths tozzin.

To be truthful I was unsure so I plumped for the smaller one knowing that if I was wrong someone would put me right.

Wonder what the other chimney (no longer standing) was part of?

Wonder what the other chimney (no longer standing) was part of?

I believe there was a brick works up their, just something at the back of my mind, bit cloudy now so could be wrong. I am sure one of you history experts will come up with this answer.

I can't visualize where we're looking but here are a few in the Park district.

Joseph Ashman Brickmaker Staniforth's Yard, Duke Street, Park

Brick and Tile Manufacturers, under the Firm of " Milnes and Adams," at the Soap House Brick Yard, in Sheffield Park

James Robinson Pressed Brick Maker 194 Duke Street, Park

Benjamin Gregory Mason, Bricklayer And Builder And Brickmaker 145 Portobello Street and Duke Street, Park

James Robinson (& Son (Sheffield) Ltd.) Brick Manufacturers Blagden Street, Park

I can't visualize where we're looking but here are a few in the Park district.

Joseph Ashman Brickmaker Staniforth's Yard, Duke Street, Park

Brick and Tile Manufacturers, under the Firm of " Milnes and Adams," at the Soap House Brick Yard, in Sheffield Park

James Robinson Pressed Brick Maker 194 Duke Street, Park

Benjamin Gregory Mason, Bricklayer And Builder And Brickmaker 145 Portobello Street and Duke Street, Park

James Robinson (& Son (Sheffield) Ltd.) Brick Manufacturers Blagden Street, Park

If the other one is Park Baths it would be somewhere around Blagden Street.

EDIT - Looking again at the post by SteveHB I thing I am getting the chimneys the wrong way round so if the right hand one is the baths the other is much further down the hill.

If the other one is Park Baths it would be somewhere around Blagden Street.

EDIT - Looking again at the post by SteveHB I thing I am getting the chimneys the wrong way round so if the right hand one is the baths the other is much further down the hill.

c.1903.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s28033&pos=2&action=zoom&id=30421