Rest In Peace Joe

RichardB

Yes a sad loss. A friend of a friend worked with Joe on the railway, he would cadge half a crown off her most weeks before pay day. He would say, come on Lilley you know you will get it back I`ll be famous one day. And do you know what, she always did and he never forgot, those half crowns paid dividends over the years. Rest in peace Joe. W/E.

Didn't Joe work for the Gas Board at one time? I can remember an early advert for him which said "He used to be a gas fitter, now he's a gas singer" or something similar.

I also recall him being on telly before he was famous. He sang 'Shame Shame Shame', the Jimmy Reed blues number, and I think he also played some harmonica. Would that be correct, or did one of his group play it?

It was always said that nobody could sing any song better than the original singer but Joe discounted that theory with his hit record, " A Little Help With My Friends" a absolute fantastic interpretation by Joe.

Do you think so? I never liked it much - Joe's ability was not in question but the arrangement was lumbering and ungainly, not suited to the song. The best thing about it was the (mainly black) female backing chorus. Another cover, of Leon Russell's 'Delta Lady', was a far better record on which he really rocked out.

I agree with you on that tozzin , he will always be remembered for that song, in fact it was that recording

that brought him his first big success .

I do remember him working for the gas board and as the story goes he asked them for one year off

to make his fame and fortune and if he hadn't got onto the road of stardom by then he could have his

old job back. It looks like he succeeded then.

I remember seeing him in a brown suit playing with his band down on the Moor, the Minerva seems to ring

a bell, could that be the right one?

I agree with you on that tozzin , he will always be remembered for that song, in fact it was that recording

that brought him his first big success .

I do remember him working for the gas board and as the story goes he asked them for one year off

to make his fame and fortune and if he hadn't got onto the road of stardom by then he could have his

old job back. It looks like he succeeded then.

I remember seeing him in a brown suit playing with his band down on the Moor, the Minerva seems to ring

a bell, could that be the right one?

It was the Minerva ukulele lady.

Joe's brother Vic was a member of The Sharrow Cycling Club around the late 1950's and early 1960's. Sometimes he used to bring his younger brother, Joe, along on club runs but it was always said that his heart was not really in cycling. As we know now his heart was in his music.

I remember him in the Harlequin cafe on Crookes wearing an auzzie style hat with corks around it. He was with a couple of the Grease band on the next table to me. At some stage he leaned over to me with a piece of bread or toast and dipped it into my fried egg.

He was wild in those days!!!