68 Pinstone Street In 1881

RLongden

In the 1881 census, my G.G.Grandfather (Isaac Longden) was living at the above address, with a given occupation of Blacksmith and Innkeeper.

The address is at the corner of Pinstone Street and Cross Burgess Street, opposite the Salvation Army citadel and is currently Morris Bywater the jewellers. Maybe the numbering of the road has changed since 1881, but it's there or abouts?

Despite searching for maps / images for this address on Picture Sheffield and oldmapsonline etc. I cannot find any record of either a photograph, detailed map, or the like. All the maps show the 'new' parade of shops under construction (as at May 1896) or nothing at all (1888) and all the photo's I can find must post date the building where the Smithy / Inn once stood?

I'm hoping someone else can suggest some sources that may provide another avenue of research?

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

Thanks both. I'd already read the occupants listings and looked at the maps, but I'm guessing it must have been when that particular stretch of Pinstone Street was all divided up into little nooks and crannies?

This is the 1850 (1855) map, with the stretch I think it was located in marked in red. Interesting that Pinstone Street is the minor road to Norfolk Street and it looks like some major remodelling of the roads around there, to join Pinstone Street to the Moor (South Street as was)?

I can just about rationalise him taking over the plumbing and glazing premises (metal fabrication), but would imagine that by 1901, that stretch of Pinstone Street was the smart row of Edwardian shops we still see today and the numbering has changed beyond all recognition, along with the street scene?

Appreciate you taking the time to post the info'....

Substantial "street improvements" were taking place in this area in the period 1879-1881. I haven't found a detailed description in the newspapers but my impression is that all the properties along the western side of Pinstone Street, between Cross Burgess Street and Cambridge Street, were removed to widen and straighten Pinstone Street.

This suggests the fate of the Boot and Shoe...

Sheffield Daily Telegraph 10 Apr 1880

And this shows the jumble of buildings from the southern end of the new route, before the changes:

Sheffield and Rotherham Independent 14 Jun 1884

There are so few households in Pinstone Street in 1881 that I can't work out whether nos. 66-8 are remnants of the older numbering or harbingers of the new.

Hugh

Thanks All,

I'm really impressed with the information you guys can conjure up and it's all very interesting. I compared the maps from 1850 and 1920 (as the next sheet cut Pinstone Street in two!) and transposed the route of the road of 1920 on to the map of 1850. Despite the 'crayoning', it's easy to see how this divided the legacy roads and buildings, leaving the townscape that still exists today. I doubt it will be possible to ever locate Isaac's premises, which is a pity, but at least now I can see why that would be......

BINGO! Kelly's Directory of West Yorkshire 1881, page 1129. No.64 and he's right there at the Barrel Inn! Now, I have something to work with. I seem to think there's a lot of work been done within SH on Sheffield pubs, so maybe I can find some more info there? Also, it would be useful to work with the road junctions ".••.•.•. • here is Union street ......•.." etc. to see if I can work this address into a map location?

... and here is Issac Longden and Son, Blacksmiths. Just need to figure how this all fits together and where the premises were in relation to each another? Thanks HughW for the cutting, which looks like a change of ownership? Just wonder why is wasn't sold as a going concern, with all the fixtures, fittings, pots and pans? Something else to figure out I suppose?

I copied a map showing the location of The Barrel from another page on this site and wondered if anyone know where I could find an image of the building? I've trawled countless sites and found several of Pinstone Street, Old Pinstone Street, Pinstone Lane, Pinson Lane, etc. without success. The only photographs of this stretch of street I can find are where the buildings have been either rebuilt or refurbished into the row of shops that are similar to those that exist today.

From the map, I reckon that the stretch I'm looking for is from the Athol Hotel (or the amusement arcade today), up to Morris Bywaters? It appears that the road layout was changed sometime after the map of 1855, but the row of shops that are there today were shown as 'under construction' in the 1896 insurance maps. So, I'm presuming the buildings in the intervening time of 40 years or so included the Barrel Inn?

Any suggestions, images, or maybe even illustrations, as photos seem a little rare at this point in time would be very welcome.

Thanks

I found a map of Sheffield 1880 and although not very detailed, looking at the sketch map above, The Barrel Inn seem to be where the red dot is...

Not that it helps with seeing what the actual building looked like, as everything I can find is either later, or further down towards Moorhead!

I take back my earlier comment about photography not being very prevalent at the time, as I can find loads of them around the date...... just not of the subject I want?!

The site isn't letting me post links but the best picture I've found so far is putting Athol Hotel in the Picture Sheffield search engine and the third picture s18762 appears to show the location of the Barrel soon after demolition. I know it's not brilliant but it's better than nothing for now.

This topic may be useful:

SheffieldHistory Pinstone Street

It discusses this picture (courtesy BBC Paintings, still wrongly titled), showing Pinstone Street on the left, the Barrel Inn would be opposite the buildings with the gable ends facing us:

The Barrel was still open for business in February 1883, as Mary Jane Ellis had three gross of buttons pinched while she was in there with her husband. And in September 1883 Henry Hickson was thrown out, drunk, so stood throwing half bricks at the place (so presumably lots of building work going on around it)

Thanks all for the advice, pictures and thanks Edmund for the link to the other thread on Pinstone Street. I saw a map, uploaded by Steve HB of the section of street in question and is it my imagination (or wishful thinking) that this building has the end of the words '(Ba) rrel Inn'?....... It certainly looks like it!

Thanks all for the advice, pictures and thanks Edmund for the link to the other thread on Pinstone Street. I saw a map, uploaded by Steve HB of the section of street in question and is it my imagination (or wishful thinking) that this building has the end of the words '(Ba) rrel Inn'?....... It certainly looks like it!

See the map in post #11