Yorkshire Tv - Promotion Film 1968

SteveHB

Is there a video of the Yorkshire Television start up music? This was played before the transmissions started each day, before 24 hour broadcasting started. It was a bit like the theme music to the Battle of Britain, not the Luftwaffe March though at the start of the film.

Is there a video of the Yorkshire Television start up music? This was played before the transmissions started each day, before 24 hour broadcasting started. It was a bit like the theme music to the Battle of Britain, not the Luftwaffe March though at the start of the film.

Is this the one dude?

Note the 'Ilkley moor bah tat' twang at the start ...

That's the one! it's so like the theme to Battle of Britain they must have got Ron Goodwin to compose it! It's that "dun dun deranan" bit that clearly hints at the theme to the film. Ron did a lot of film music and TV themes. Apart from Battle of Britain he also did 663 Squadron. The only piece he didn't do in Battle of Britain was "Battle In The Air" used in the final and most dramatic air battle in the film. That being composed by Sir William Walton.

I think there might be a link between the YTV music and the film. Since they both came out in 1968/9. It's likely the station bosses wanted some inspiring music to start the station and must have seen the film.

The announcer's name was something like Redvus Karl? If I remember correctly.

Is this the one dude?

Note the 'Ilkley moor bah tat' twang at the start ...

Are you down in the dumps? fed up with our present day political correctness. Well, do yourselves a favour, watch a few of the YTV film clips after the start up music has finished. W/E.

Are you down in the dumps? fed up with our present day political correctness. Well, do yourselves a favour, watch a few of the YTV film clips after the start up music has finished.  W/E.

That's the one! it's so like the theme to Battle of Britain they must have got Ron Goodwin to compose it! It's that "dun dun deranan" bit that clearly hints at the theme to the film. Ron did a lot of film music and TV themes. Apart from Battle of Britain he also did 663 Squadron. The only piece he didn't do in Battle of Britain was "Battle In The Air" used in the final and most dramatic air battle in the film. That being composed by Sir William Walton.

I think there might be a link between the YTV music and the film. Since they both came out in 1968/9. It's likely the station bosses wanted some inspiring music to start the station and must have seen the film.

The announcer's name was something like Redvus Karl? If I remember correctly.

The Yorkshire Television March was written by Derek New and orchestrated by Ron Goodwin.

http://www.transdiffusion.org/2003/01/01/regional_2

Is there any wonder why kids who grew up in the 70's (like me) were obsessed with toy guns, toy soldiers, Action Man and Airfix models when this was the first thing we heard when we put the telly on in the morning.

If UKIP adopt it as thier Election campaign music, they'll win by a landslide!

Actually I think it was probably the adverts on TV for Action Man and Airfix that really did the trick!

Because kids have their own channels these days you don't see any adverts on TV for kids toys now, unless you have to watch kids TV with the kids!

Now we just get fat from watching the Supermarkets showing us the food. And people arguing with Iceland staff that Peter Andre got all of those lobsters. Well he did didn't he! lol

And if you were obsessed with beating your mates up in the school playground,

blame Popeye.

You can't blame Popeye Steve.

He had to eat spinach for his strength

I haven't met a kid yet that likes or will eat spinach.

You can't blame Popeye Steve.

He had to eat spinach for his strength

I haven't met a kid yet that likes or will eat spinach.

Did we have tinned spinach over here in the 60's?

By the 70's you got Kung Fu in the playground - not beaten up! I wonder what was to blame for that? ;-)

Once came across a Kung Fu man in a night club in the 70's, but before I could raise my arm to retaliate, a mate jumped in and Kung Fu man finished up on his knees holding his battered nose he he

No, - and I have never had tinned spinach, - its comes loose and fresh, or in a bag like salad greens.

Popeye was originally a cartoon strip by Max Fleisher

To get it made into a cartoon they had to syndicate it and get sponsorship.

The main sponsor was accompany called The Spinach Canning Corporation of America

Could that be the main reason Popeye ate spinach, - free advertising for one its syndicate sponsorship members and nothing to do with giving you instant extreme strength.

Once came across a Kung Fu man in a night club in the 70's, but before I could raise my arm to retaliate, a mate jumped in and Kung Fu man finished up on his knees holding his battered nose he he

Nice one Steve. I have always thought of these eastern martial arts as pointless when it comes to fighting, OK for a bit of self defence perhaps but not real aggression,

2 things come to mind about this,

1 ) The scene from Raiders Of The Lost Ark in which Indiana Jones is confronted with a sword wielding opponent who threatens him with a display of swordsmanship before attacking him, while he is doing this display, Indian just pulls a gun out and shoots him.

2 ) A 1946 Irving Berlin song written for his show, later a film starring Doris Day, Annie Get Your Gun, about the cowgirl gunslinger Annie Oakley. the song is called "You Can't Beat A Man With A Gun"