1977 Vintage ?

RichardB

eBay

1977 Silver ingot-thingie. Vintage ??

Yes Richard, 1977 isn't quite old enough to genuinely call something "Vintage".

I know with cars the terms "Veteran" and "Vintage" have very specific meanings with start and end dates attached.

I can remember a time when to call something an "antique" it had to be at least 100 years old, but these days, mainly thanks to BBC TV programmes like Antiques Roadshow where people belong along anything of any age if they consider it to be of interest or of any value, and other programmes like Flog It where they will sell any old tat if they think they can make a bob or two on it, any rubbish from even the 1970s (or so it seems) can be passed off as Vintage / antique / classic regardless of its age, quality or even what it is.

I think by VINTAGE he just means HALLMARKED in relation to this item.

Being silver it is hallmarked, - hence the known Sheffield connection and he does say 1977 in the hallmark section of his description, although he gives it as "circa 1977" and the actual hallmark would be precise.

I woudn't risk my money for an item like that on ebay, there were a lot of very good fakes around in the 70's-80's, and later.

Neither would I Steve.

This seller has got 100% positive feedback , but some things just don't add up.

The claim is it is "unused" but then goes on to show and describe "scuff marks"

The price of silver has dropped about 5% in the last week, it's current value, per oz, is £9.88 to the nearest penny.