Sign in to follow this  
Bayleaf

Anyone Remember Gloops?

Seeing the name GLOOPS, prompted me to look in my Mum's 'special box' that I have, as I remembered something in it with that name on. Sure enough, I have a GLOOPS CLUB certificate with membership number 522,231. It has no date on it, surprisingly, but accompanying it, is a Star paper clipping of Gloops Club Corner, written by AUNT EDITH. In it she mentions several children, then 'little me', referred to as .... a charming little four year old with dark curls .... that would be 1957. She went on to say .... she wanted me to see her dolly and to bring 2s.6d. for the Gloops Fund. The dolly is lovely and my thanks for the donation.  It dosen't sound much money now, but back then it was quite a lot. I can't say I remember going there that day, but I do remember going to a party somewhere in town. When the Club actually finished I don't know, but as for GLOOPS appearance at many Charity and Community events, the last one I know of, was in 1995 at the City Hall, where they were having a VE DAY CELEBRATION.

Merged all the topics about the Gloops Club into one.

My main memory of Gloops is a little off the wall. When he was young my father decided that the then Queen looked like Gloops :blink: and always referred to her as such. Hence throughout my life both my mother & father referred to Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother as Gloops. It was only when I mentioned it to friends that I realised that it was just my family who used the term.

We also have a couple of topics about the cartoonists responsible for Gloops. Any additional info about these men would be welcome.

https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/4943-owen-bradshaw/

https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/5936-the-men-who-drew-gloops/

I can remember joining the Gloops Club (mid to late 1950s) and receiving my badge. Accompanying the badge was a slip of paper or card showing Gloops dressed like an old-fashioned teacher, with mortar-board and gown, and the message "Now you're in!" I suppose it must have had other details, such as my membership number.

I don't think I ever realised that Gloops was a cat either.

I, too was a member in the early '50s. I had forgotten what the badge looked like but when I saw the image 'up thread', it all came back to me.