Anyone Remember Gloops?

Bayleaf

I remember the Gloops Club but I can't remember ever being a member.

Does anyone know when the Club actually came to an end?

I remember the Gloops Club but I can't remember ever being a member.

Does anyone know when the Club actually came to an end?

A good question ukelele lady,

I was definately never a member but distinctly remember seeing Gloops the cat in The Star in the early part of the 1960's. His appearances became less frequent as time went on making it difficult to pinpoint exactly when he disappeared altogether.

I suppose if we don't get an answer on here to this (someone will know, - Old Canny Street Kid perhaps) then those nice people down at The Star should know.

Guest Barbara M

The only way I can be of help in this , is that I was a member of the Gloops club in approx 1948 when I was 5/6 yrs old & I lost my badge down the side of the built in cooker when we lived at Hinde Close prefabs, Wensley Estate !!

Then when we were tenants at the Canon Hall, Barnsley Rd, in1974 to 1982, we were friends with the Steward from the Companions Club , Barnsley Rd; & his son played " Gloops " for a couple of years , ( sorry , I don't know the exact date ) he attended charity & fund raising functions. he was hoping to become an actor, we lost touch when we moved away & I never saw him again !!

My wife reckons their neighbour's daughter was Gloops Queen one year, and that must have been early 60's.

I was a member of the Gloops Club early 1950's I think. All I remember is that there was a Gloops Club section in The Star every week maybe?

I remember joining the Gloops Club and getting a badge as well as a small handbook. Can't remember what the book contained....probably a set of rules.

This is what the application form looked like in the sixties printed in the Star perhaps each week

hoping to get more children to join as members.

Anyone for the Gloops Club?

aunt edith was in charge went to see her at kemsley house and watched them printing the green un good fun,i joined the gloops in 1950s,now a silly owd person !!!!!!!

I remember my cousin Kay Hardie was the Gloops Queen in the 1950's.  We thought it was like winning the Miss World contest.

Has anyone any knowledge of the Gloops Cot Fund charity which I would imagine was to do with Sheffield Newspapers? In the 1930s my father was organising concerts for it?

I believe the Gloops Club was via Sheffield Star. I was a member of the club during the 1950's but not got great memory of it. However, I do seem to remember some concerts in a park (where ?) and vague memory of there being a cartoon strip in The Star (possibly).

Sorry it's a bit sketchy but it was a long time ago and I wasn't very old :-)

"Gloops" was the cartoon cat appearing nightly in the Star. Membership of the Gloops Club came with a small round badge, proudly worn by thousands of Sheffield children. I too was a member in the 1940/50's but remember nothing of the Cot Fund  or if it was still in existence( but a child would hardly remember) nor any events.

I was a member of the Gloops Club circa late 1950s, I had (and possibly still have in a box somewhere) a badge which I think was yellow. But I don't remember ever realising that Gloops was supposed to be a cat.

'Gloops' I remember that badge and the charactor, he was a bit of a 'cat'! I have a vague memory of a Gloops Club show at either the City Hall or Library Theartre in the late 50's. It was a kid's variety show and the host was a middle aged man in full evening dress called Uncle Timothy (Timothy Tindall?). I believe that the same Uncle Timothy forwarded the Gloops Club page in the Star?

Wazzie Worrall

Seeing the name GLOOPS, prompted me to look in my Mum's 'special box' that I have, as I remembered something in it with that name on. Sure enough, I have a GLOOPS CLUB certificate with membership number 522,231. It has no date on it, surprisingly, but accompanying it, is a Star paper clipping of Gloops Club Corner, written by AUNT EDITH. In it she mentions several children, then 'little me', referred to as .... a charming little four year old with dark curls .... that would be 1957. She went on to say .... she wanted me to see her dolly and to bring 2s.6d. for the Gloops Fund. The dolly is lovely and my thanks for the donation.  It dosen't sound much money now, but back then it was quite a lot. I can't say I remember going there that day, but I do remember going to a party somewhere in town. When the Club actually finished I don't know, but as for GLOOPS appearance at many Charity and Community events, the last one I know of, was in 1995 at the City Hall, where they were having a VE DAY CELEBRATION.