Is This Location In Sheffield ?

Sheffield History

I found a photo from the same shoot, which someone with more patience and better eyesight could maybe decipher the wording on the sign in the background?

It seems to read

"... & Sons"

"Upholstering"

"Works"

???

Hope this gives some clues?

I think I've identified the company - A. Isaacs & Sons, Cabinet Makers & Upholsterers.

There's a picture of their shop on Gibraltar Street here

I can't find any other records for the company. But that may be a starting point.

Found it! Looking up Furnace Hill from West Bar. You can still see the chimney on Google Streetview here

The picture that solved it is on Picture Sheffield here where you can still see the original signage on the end of the works.

Great work.

Found it! Looking up Furnace Hill from West Bar. You can still see the chimney on Google Streetview here

The picture that solved it is on Picture Sheffield here where you can still see the original signage on the end of the works.

Nice one chrubble! Not sure if my additional photo helped any, but it looks like you are bang on with the location?!

Here's the mag' from 11 June 1981 - https://archive.org/stream/smash-hits-1981-06-11#page/n37/mode/2up

You'd think they'd be a bit more cheerful, if they knew how much cash they were going to trouser, as just one month later, "Love Action (I Believe in Love)" was released and there was no looking back!

1981....... Wow! Where did that time go???????????????

RLongden - YES! That's where I worked the Isaacs bit out from. Then once I came across A. Isaacs I could kind of see it in the original image. So top marks for the 2nd image :-)

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s23974&pos=34&action=zoom&id=26427

I keep looking at this picture with the Human League on and I seem to recognise the background maybe

Green Lane area but it doesn't look like " across from the Shakespeare" when looking at this picturesheffield

scene.

Looks like we are a bit late with this one Russell, it's already been solved , Furnace Hill it is