Change Of Scene.

hilldweller

We've finally done it, we're now ex-pats, or rather I'm an ex-pat and my wife is a re-pat.

Not gone many miles but enough to get us away from the Town Hall Kommissars and the multi-faceted Clegg.

And we now get a garden rubbish bin without having to pay extra for it, (and about seven other bins).

HD

Bradder ? - Bradfield, Bradway or Bradwell - I'm guessing Bradfield.

Bradfield & Bradway are still part of the Kommissars empire.

Bradder isn't correct either but the problem with the profiles won't let me change it. Bradder was an early choice overtaken by events.

Let's settle for the Derbyshire Dales.

HD

Hope your current new location is still on the top of a big steep hill, - otherwise you will have to change your "hilldweller" user name as well.

So, if you now live in valley or on a plain, "valleydweller", "plaindweller" would have to come into play.

Does this mean i can stroll Fulwood Lane and district without watching out for silent hurtling chariots? The fun's gone I tell you...!

Does this mean i can stroll Fulwood Lane and district without watching out for silent hurtling chariots? The fun's gone I tell you...!

With a claimed range of 35 miles, I wouldn't count on it ! :P

HD

Hope your current new location is still on the top of a big steep hill, - otherwise you will have to change your "hilldweller" user name as well.

So, if you now live in valley or on a plain, "valleydweller", "plaindweller" would have to come into play.

Daledweller or DD for short.

DD

I'm sure all of us regulars on SheffieldHistory wish you well in your new abode Hilldweller. I'm also sure that you will continue in your expat Sheffielder status to continue keeping us updated on all things Sheffield related.

All the best on your move

DaveH

Congratulations on your move HD. Please feel free to ask for information on:

1) homesickness

2) best times to visit Sheffield

3) nearest stockists of Hendersons relish and Yorkshire tea

4) time zones

5) best pork pie recipe

6) back copies of 'This England'

Good luck, try to keep your accent as long as you can.

Thylacine

1) homesickness

4) time zones

5) best pork pie recipe

Thylacine

Thank you for your kind advice Thylacine.

1) I think I may eventually get over missing Sheffield City Council.

2) The best time to visit will be when Labour lose control of SCC. I may be in for a long wait.

3) The Spar Shop, Hope, and the Co-op Bradwell, have plentiful supplies of Hendo's, you can keep Yorkshire Tea.

4) Time zone is easy; the hours, minutes and seconds are the same. You just have to remember to deduct 50 years to arrive at Derbyshire Dales Time.

5) My favourite pork pies are "Pork Farms" which are probably made in a huge megafactory in Taiwan.

6) I already have a vast library of back copies of "The Dalesman". Wrong Dales but never mind.

My Sheffield accent is already problematic. Forty-odd years of marriage to a Derby Tup mean that I luke at a buke and address blokes as Surree and women as Duck.

HD

1) homesickness

4) time zones

5) best pork pie recipe

Thylacine

It's OK THYLACINE, he hasn't gone half way around the World like you. He's only moved over the border into Derbyshire. He could visit Sheffield daily by bus if he wanted to.

I don't wish to disillusion you, but do you know that Derbyshire Dales is a part of the Sheffield City Region? The Region, in the near future, is likely to be given ever more control and powers over our lives ....so the Kommissars may well impinge on your life again. I became a refugee into Derbyshire some years back( for work) but I moved back...to access a decent library service ( well it was at the time), the Universities, excellent and easily accessible medical facilities, a cultural and entertainment centre, decent transport links Etc Etc..

Looking back I wonder if I was too hasty! :unsure:

I don't wish to disillusion you, but do you know that Derbyshire Dales is a part of the Sheffield City Region? The Region, in the near future, is likely to be given ever more control and powers over our lives ....so the Kommissars may well impinge on your life again. I became a refugee into Derbyshire some years back( for work) but I moved back...to access a decent library service ( well it was at the time), the Universities, excellent and easily accessible medical facilities, a cultural and entertainment centre, decent transport links Etc Etc..

Looking back I wonder if I was too hasty! :unsure:

They tried that a few years ago, the answer was a resounding raspberry and talking to locals I think that the answer would be the same today. Half of the population of the Hope Valley are escaped Sheffielders.

If it did happen or if Miliband gets into power next spring, I would seriously consider moving further afield.

I wonder if Thylacine could advise me how long you can you can stay in Oz on a visitor's visa, or perhaps the European Space Agency want someone to pop out and repair the Mars Explorer ? :rolleyes:

HD