Wo ... ?

Calvin72

Only thing i could think of was Wire Overhead - sometimes the signs appear with numbers above and below which might make more sense.

Water Outlet?

I think that is almost certainly the case. It would indicate a hydrant, not as such a fire hydrant, where water could be let out of the system to flush dirt out of the mains.

When I was a part-time works fireman in the early sixties we were shown the location of the fire hydrants on the site, but told not to use any labelled WO as they were not designed to cope with the reduction in mains pressure resulting from the suction from our ex WW2 500gpm Coventry-Climax pump.

HD

I was once told, but I do not know as to whether it is indeed true, that the upper figure denotes distance away, and that the lower figure denotes distance down.

So in this instance, the plate would indicate that the water outlet was 100' out from this plate and that the water outlet was 8' down. Is that correct?

I was once told, but I do not know as to whether it is indeed true, that the upper figure denotes distance away, and that the lower figure denotes distance down.

So in this instance, the plate would indicate that the water outlet was 100' out from this plate and that the water outlet was 8' down. Is that correct?

I am not sure but I think on the yellow fire hydrant plates with the big H the top figure is the pipe diameter and the bottom the distance.

I am not sure but I think on the yellow fire hydrant plates with the big H the top figure is the pipe diameter and the bottom the distance.

That is my understanding of the numbers on the yellow signs as well. The top figure indicates the pipe diameter (these days in millimetres) and the lower figure the distance from the sign (in metres).

I cannot recall what imperial units were used, which is a bit embarassing as for many years there was a hydrant sign on the garden wall of the house where I was born & raised. I can't remember the numbers on it either, which is odd as I have a head full of similar and seemingly useless information.

That is my understanding of the numbers on the yellow signs as well. The top figure indicates the pipe diameter (these days in millimetres) and the lower figure the distance from the sign (in metres).

I cannot recall what imperial units were used, which is a bit embarassing as for many years there was a hydrant sign on the garden wall of the house where I was born & raised. I can't remember the numbers on it either, which is odd as I have a head full of similar and seemingly useless information.

W/E.

The sign above indicates a hydrant fed by a 4 inch pipe (other possibilities were 3 inch or 6 inch) and the hydrant is located 4 Feet from the sign.

We didn't use to bother about mixing units in those days. Nowadays they use millimetres and metres respectively.

HD

It is possible to put out a very small fire with the flow from a 4mm bore pipe as a number of small boys have demonstrated when they got fed up with their bonfires. lol

Sorry I couldn't resist that one.

HD