Gro Records

KevinB

I have been searching Ancestry for a GRO number and reference for the death of John Walter Bird who was killed at El Alamein on the 28th Oct 1942 but cannot find one. I need a death certificate to send for his war record. Any help please?

Guest Barbara M

Put General Register Office into google & the certificate ordering service will come up, you have to open an account which is free.

Then follow the prompts , it is quite easy & well worth the £9.75 I think it is now for a certificate.

I have just realised you want the system for finding the referance numbers, I always got mine on the free website FREE BMD .

Put your relations details into the Deaths , you can get away with Name, Age & Date of Death if you know it , & click on search , when you find it click on INFO & it should give you the death referance .

Good Luck !!

Thanks but I have tried the free BMD index but it only covers deaths in GB. My relative was killed in action at El Alamein which is in Egypt not GB and therefore his death does not show up. To order his war record from the MoD, I need to supply a death certificate which I can easily get from GRO as I am registered with them but I need to know the reference data for his death and I can't find it.

His service number was 410178 & he was a Sergeant in the Royal Electrical & Mechanical Engineers attached to Queens Own Yorkshire Dragoons Royal Armoured Corps.. Buried at El Alemein War Cemetery in grave V1 E1. You can get a commemorative certificate from the CWGC site - won't that do? I am sure that to get his service record you must be his next of kin. If you are not, you can't get them & would have to get his next of kin to get them for you.

I suggest you speak to teh General Register Officer on 0300 123 1837 to find out how best to get a certificate. When you order a death certificate I think they also offer a look-up service if you don't know teh precise reference

Thanks John! All the details are spot on! The commemorative certificate should do as the MoD already know he was killed in action,. Is the CWGC the commonwealth war graves commission? I am familiar with the procedure for ordering war records from the MoD as I have gone through the process for another ancestor and I am indeed his next of kin. Thanks again.

There is a separate index for GRO army deaths.

This is the reference:

BIRD John W. 410178 R.E.M.E. Vol 6 Page 117

Hi Bonnie, Where can the army index be viewed please?

John

There is a copy of overseas and Military deaths at Sheffield archives. You can also view them at Find My Past which is pay to view.

Angela