Sign in to follow this  
andy1702

The Tale Of The Insurance Company And The Tram

I thought you might like this story, as told to me by an electrician friend of mine a few years ago.

Norman was happily driving his little van around Sheffield one day in the 50's. Everything went well until, while correctly pulling out of a road junction, a tram suddenly appeared out of nowhere, ignored the signals and road markings and careered into the side of the van at full speed. Needless to say the tram won the battle and the driver was very appologetic, although he could give no explanation as to how the accident had happened.

Norman never got a satisfactory explanation of the incident from anyone, until many years later when he was doing a job at a lady's house and this incident just happened to come up in general conversation. Imagine Norman's surprise when the lady told him she remembered the accident well.

"How do you even know about it?" Norman asked.

"Well, you'll never believe this... But I was on that tram."

"That's amazing! But can you help me with something? Can you give me any idea how the accident happened? I've been wondering about it for years."

"I can tell you exactly how it happened." the lady replied. "It was the Driver's fault."

"What was he doing?" Norman enquired. "He must have seen me."

"No he didn't." the lady explained. "He was upstairs changing the destination at the time!"

Oh blimey this made me laugh so much

Me too. I think Norman has been bought quite a few pints on the strength of that story over the years.

This was a common practice on the upward stretch alongside Firth Park when drivers would leave the platform with the tram in motion to change the destination indicators with just their legs visible on the stairs. On the same, stretch, it was common to see buses, especially Yorkshire Traction and West Riding ones, overtaking the trams on the inside with just inches between mirrors; the trams often won if they mischievously kept on a fast speed, for the bus drivers had to give way as the road space narrowed further near the top of the hill.

Anyone remember a young lad being killed when his bike ran down a side street into the path of a tram by the Firth Park library ? I think he came down Vivien Road.

Yes I knew about that - think his brakes failed.