Ww1 Brodie Helmet

mick851

John Round & Sons Ltd of Sheffield made Brodie helmets, so possibly them, but apparently their mark was just an "R" - Source

However, their mark on their "Sheffield Plate" was "JR&S" Info

I only came across the term "Brodie" helmet whilst doing some research for a BBC Radio Sheffield programme. I now see it being mentioned all the time. Does anyone know if the term was actually used during WW1....?

"The term Brodie is often mis-used and in its correct term refers only to the original 1915 Brodie's Steel Helmet, War Office Pattern,[2] designed by Mr Brodie for the War Office. The Brodie helmet was modified to become the Helmet, Steel, Mk.I, in 1916"

Wikipedia

Thanks Vox for your reply, my WW1 helmet is the early raw edge type but just puzzled with the makers mark. Ive seen the R mark before, just never seen the JR & S before, did they use that stamp mark first then changed it to R ?

Thanks as well. Never thought to do a quick wiki.

I have heard of them being referred referred to as a "Battle Bowlers". Tinsley Rolling Mills, who were a part of the Sheffield consortium rolling the 20 gauge11/14% Manganese steel ,simply referred to them as "helmets". 1.5 tons of steel sheet was required to produce 1,000 helmets. In 1916 alone Sheffield's steel sheet, hand mills produced sufficient for 1 million helmets, The Ministry of Munitions, in recognition of this and other achievements, made by Sheffield's steelworks awarded 1% of the workforce a medal of the Order of the British Empire. The Head Roller at Tinsley, a George Wainwright, was their recipient. The Works Manager, being salaried was excluded.