Sign in to follow this  
andy1702

Gas Lamps

Hi there can anyone help me out with manufacturers name of this Sheffield made lamp post I spotted in Bridlington.

I cannot make out what the second word is (PRICII)

What I can make out says.

BRITISH

PRICII--GLOBE

ELECTRICAL CO. LTD

SHEFFIELD

I cannot find anything about the coat of arms either.

Looks like P.MCM

Or

PRION

Here you are.

It's PRISM

"Another type of globe is the " Prism " globe, made in this country by the British Prism Globe Electrical Co., Ltd., of Sheffield. These globes have vertical ribs inside and are smooth outside. When used with the tubular incandescent lamps supplied by the company, the distribution of light is very satisfactory."

Engineers, Institution Of Electrical. Proceedings, 1906

Further to the article in THE CRUCK, here's the start of the article,

I agree. I think it says:

BRITISH

PRISM GLOBE

ELECTRICAL

CO LTD

SHEFFIELD.

This is interesting because it's not (and never was) a gas lamp. Gas lamp posts never have a door in the bottom, which is usually provided for access to the time switch of electric lights. Converted gas lamps (like the ones currently being ripped out in Sheffield) have all the electrical stuff in a box on top of the original pole but below the swan neck supporting the lamp.

While we're talking Sheffield lamps, I've been down to Reclaim today. Apparently Reclaim have some kind of contract with a salvage dealer who gives them £50 for every cast iron lamp post they can supply complete. If you go down and offer them a bit more thay might take it though. The concerning thing is the number of smashed posts they have in their yard. Amey appear to be far from careful when removing them! It's also a bit of a poor return, especially when the council claim they've got no money, considering these lamp posts sometimes sell for multiple hudredes of pounds to anyone daft enough to pay it! Although having said that, with the number they're removing in Sheffield, they're probably going to flood the market. In the real world I've bought a non-Sheffield one in perfect condition from a local E-Bay seller for £75, which I'd say is about right as a sensible price.

Further to the article in THE CRUCK, here's the start of the article,

So the Webb gas lamps still running on gas are going to be converted to electric! Yet more total vandalism courtesy of Amey / Sheffield City Council!

What do English Heritage have to say about all this? I don't have a problem with the non working lamps (many of which have lost their lanterns) getting restored as electric, but the ones that still work should be kept as they are. I shall be contacting English Heritage about this and making a formal complaint about the plans. I urge everyone else here to do the same.

Yet more total vandalism courtesy of Amey / Sheffield City Council!

One of the reason I left their employment!

Just off West Street on Eldon Street there is a pretty good condition gas lamp. It would be good if it was restored to working order and had an information board next to it so that people know what they are looking at. We don't seem to do that much in Sheffield - a simple piece of information provided goes a long way. I have seen them on the Five Weirs Walk and around the Heeley area near the old station, but I don't think there is much in the way of historical information provided in the City centre.

Just off West Street on Eldon Street there is a pretty good condition gas lamp. It would be good if it was restored to working order and had an information board next to it so that people know what they are looking at. We don't seem to do that much in Sheffield - a simple piece of information provided goes a long way. I have seen them on the Five Weirs Walk and around the Heeley area near the old station, but I don't think there is much in the way of historical information provided in the City centre.

I agree. Unfortunately I don't think Sheffield's remaining gas lamps will be around much longer. Latest I heard was that all the Webb distructor lamps are to be 'restorred'. This means those currently without lanterns will be getting new ones. Good news you might think... Well, you'd be wrong!

The restoration will only be cosmetic. The lamp posts will be fitted with nasty modern LEDs. This is particularly bad news in Nether Edge, where the local neighbourhood group got their Webb lamps restored to full working order a few years ago. Even these lamps, which are working perfectly well, are (as I understand it) going to get converted to LEDs!

It really is time something was done about the over-paid work-shy layabouts at Sheffield City Council and their moronic decisions. I have tried on numerous occasions to contact them about this and they have never had the courtesy to either return my calls of reply to my e-mails. The only time I did manage to speak to one of them was when I met Nether Edge Labour Councillor Nicky Bond at a local 'repair cafe' event. She took my details and promissed to contact me, but I've heard nothing and that was more than 6 MONTHS AGO!

I urge EVERYONE with an interest in local history NOT to vote Labour at the upcoming elections. The sooner we get rid of the wasteful Labour council, who spend millions of pounds with unnecessary modernisation plans, the better!

I urge EVERYONE with an interest in local history NOT to vote Labour at the upcoming elections. The sooner we get rid of the wasteful Labour council, who spend millions of pounds with unnecessary modernisation plans, the better!

Nether Edge voters can rest assured that at least one of their candidates cares about Sheffield's history ;-)

I do know for a fact that one crew charged a buyer £140:00 and received it.

They said they would take a fiver for this one ! W/E.

The scrap yard the council takes them to sell the cast iron ones on for £50 each to a dealer, so they must get less than that, if they get anything at all. If you look on E-bay cast iron posts are top side of £100, so the £140 was a reasonable retail price if it went through that system. However selling direct to a local it sounds a bit steep.

I went tonthe scrap yard, explained about the historical part of what we do here and they still wouldn't sell me one for £50 to keep it in the area for historical reference purposes. Once again Sheffield city council and their contractors don't give a damn about the city's heritage!

Between them the council and the university have done more damage to Sheffield than Hitler's bombers ever could!

Between them the council and the university have done more damage to Sheffield than Hitler's bombers ever could!

Out of Sheffield's 12,900 gas lamps and 9,500 electric lamps the number destroyed or seriously damaged in the air-raids was eight hundred and fifty-seven. From the book "Raiders over Sheffield" by Mary Walton and J.P.Lamb. W/E.

Out of Sheffield's 12,900 gas lamps and 9,500 electric lamps the number destroyed or seriously damaged in the air-raids was eight hundred and fifty-seven. From the book "Raiders over Sheffield" by Mary Walton and J.P.Lamb. W/E.

As I suspected, the Council have ruined more and are set to continue.