Sign in to follow this  
andy1702

Gas Lamps

The yellow tape usually used to be put on a post when the lamp was not working and a new lamp or fuse had been tried by the night crew but with no luck. They would put the tape on so the day electrician could check it out, check for correct voltage, and if that was okay change the control gear or complete lantern.

Nigel L

The yellow tape usually used to be put on a post when the lamp was not working and a new lamp or fuse had been tried by the night crew but with no luck. They would put the tape on so the day electrician could check it out, check for correct voltage, and if that was okay change the control gear or complete lantern.

Nigel L

Thank you Nigel L, that seems to explain things, the lamp has been out of order for a few months.

Steve, if you happen to see the workmen again could you ask them what happens to the posts they take out? I've made enquiries with the council and even with a councillor directly but neither could be bothered to get back to me. I'm still trying to acquire a couple at least. A good compromise to their removal would be if they would sell or even donate them to local historians and organisations for re-erection on private land.

I'm even happy to help re-erect any that forum members manage to acquire for their gardens.

Steve, if you happen to see the workmen again could you ask them what happens to the posts they take out? I've made enquiries with the council and even with a councillor directly but neither could be bothered to get back to me. I'm still trying to acquire a couple at least. A good compromise to their removal would be if they would sell or even donate them to local historians and organisations for re-erection on private land.

I'm even happy to help re-erect any that forum members manage to acquire for their gardens.

They are sold as scrap.

They are sold as scrap.

That's what I was afraid of. Apart from ripping out the city's heritage, they're not even getting a return on what the stuff they're taking away is actually worth.

Think there is a good possibility that the old lamps in my area will be taken to the Olive Grove depot,

I will see if I can find out more.

The old and the new

By the way, I've got a pick & shovel :ph34r:

Think there is a good possibility that the old lamps in my area will be taken to the Olive Grove depot,

I will see if I can find out more.

attachicon.giflamp 01.jpg

attachicon.giflamp 03.jpg

The old and the new

attachicon.giflamp 05.jpg

By the way, I've got a pick & shovel :ph34r:

Thanks Steve. I've got a big trailer, as Calvin will confirm he got roped into lifting the last lamp post onto it! Unfortunately it wasn't a Sheffield one though.

Just been speaking to a couple of workman from NDS (Nationwide Distribution Services), and they are just disconnecting the power to the old lamp, being contractors neither had any idea as to where these lamps go to when removed.

So, I will have to keep an eye out for the removal team.

Edited by SteveHB
photo added & mistake corrected.

Thanks Steve. I've got a big trailer, as Calvin will confirm he got roped into lifting the last lamp post onto it! Unfortunately it wasn't a Sheffield one though.

Andy - Is that the street in Arbourthorne with the old style lamposts and Sheffield Corporation 1935 'lamp holes' that we visited recently?

I'll see if my son knows as he works for Amey putting the new lamps up.

The old lamp posts are taken to a place called RECLAIM ON WORTHING ROAD and the place is run by a chap called Darren Fitzpatrick, hope this is helpful.

Further to my earlier post, if you see any workmen removing a lamp post just have word with them and you will come to a mutual arrangement.

Andy - Is that the street in Arbourthorne with the old style lamposts and Sheffield Corporation 1935 'lamp holes' that we visited recently?

Yep, that's the street!

The old lamp posts are taken to a place called RECLAIM ON WORTHING ROAD and the place is run by a chap called Darren Fitzpatrick, hope this is helpful.

Thanks. I'll see if I can get in touch with them, or better still the contractors actually taking the posts out!

This is half of an article in THE CRUCK a magazine issued by the Hallamshire Historic Buildings society, it sums up what the Council and Amey think of our historical assets.

Edited by SteveHB
image re-sized

I shall be stating my rescue attempts this coming week. I'll be giving Reclaim a call first tos ee what the score is. Hwever, if anyone sees the Amey crew taking posts out please have a word with the workmen and see what the possibilities are of redirecting some.

I know of a few people who had their local red phone boxes replanted in their front garden when BT replaced the local kiosk, so I'm wondering if we can do the same with the old cast iron lamp posts? It would also be a good oportunity for members of this forum to help with some hands on preservation of the city's history.

This is half of an article in THE CRUCK a magazine issued by the Hallamshire Historic Buildings society, it sums up what the Council and Amey think of our historical assets.

attachicon.giftozzin lamps.png

I can't sleep!

Looks like I'm going to have to put the air gun in to action, that should dim it a bit lol

I shall be stating my rescue attempts this coming week. I'll be giving Reclaim a call first tos ee what the score is. Hwever, if anyone sees the Amey crew taking posts out please have a word with the workmen and see what the possibilities are of redirecting some.

I know of a few people who had their local red phone boxes replanted in their front garden when BT replaced the local kiosk, so I'm wondering if we can do the same with the old cast iron lamp posts? It would also be a good oportunity for members of this forum to help with some hands on preservation of the city's history.

I do know for a fact that one crew charged a buyer £140:00 and received it.

That appears to confirm my theory that the "posh" new lamp standards and fancy lanterns which were fitted in Spooner Road, and are now being fitted all round Broomhill, are there because of the Conservation Area. It rather debunks the theory that they were a temporary expedient because they had run out of the plain ones.

HD

Steve

I have seen one terraced house on the road going up to Stannington that has like a dark shield installed on the side of the street lamp facing the bedroom window, presumably to stop the light shining directly into their bedroom window. I guess if you complain long and hard enough you might get one too.

My neighbour has the same problem of being unable to sleep in her front bedroom.

Lyn

Steve

I have seen one terraced house on the road going up to Stannington that has like a dark shield installed on the side of the street lamp facing the bedroom window, presumably to stop the light shining directly into their bedroom window. I guess if you complain long and hard enough you might get one too.

My neighbour has the same problem of being unable to sleep in her front bedroom.

Lyn

Thank you Lyn

But I will get used to it, I was brought up in a house where my bedroom window faced on to a well lit main road.

Only problem at the moment is, that if I wake in the night I keep thinking it's daybreak and time to get up, looks like I will have to put a clock by the side of my bed.

One thing for sure, the clock wont need to be illuminated :)

Steve

Lyn

I have the same problem, the new light shines directly into my living room, they are going to fix the problem.

What exactly is a conservation supposed to be conserving if they can replace historic items with new ones? It doesn't seem much like conservation to me!

It is amazing but not surprising that this is happening in a conservation area.

From The Free Dictionary

Conservation
1. the act or an instance of conserving or keeping from change, loss, injury, etc
2. protection, preservation, and careful management of natural resources and of the environment.

From what I have read on this post it sounds more like this:-

destruction
1. the act of destroying or state of being destroyed; demolition
2. a cause of ruin or means of destroying