Old Bowling Green Hotel

RichardB

Guest wisewoodowl

I used to go in regularly on Sunday nights in the late 70's / early 80's. The landlord was a right miserable sod, Bill I think, can't remember his surname. He knew how to keep a decent pint of Tetleys but made you feel like it was too much trouble to serve the customers.

There was a big area of overgrown land behind the pub, at the back of Homeric (sp) going down to the dyke. I think this used to be the bowling green at one time, although I can't remember it and I lived in the area for 26 years.

The gennel to the left of the pub in the picture came out at the other end between the old picture palace and The Ball on Upwell Street, opposite the bottom of Wincobank Lane.

I used to go in regularly on Sunday nights in the late 70's / early 80's. The landlord was a right miserable sod, Bill I think, can't remember his surname. He knew how to keep a decent pint of Tetleys but made you feel like it was too much trouble to serve the customers.

There was a big area of overgrown land behind the pub, at the back of Homeric (sp) going down to the dyke. I think this used to be the bowling green at one time, although I can't remember it and I lived in the area for 26 years.

The gennel to the left of the pub in the picture came out at the other end between the old picture palace and The Ball on Upwell Street, opposite the bottom of Wincobank Lane.

My grandparents lived in Grimesthorpe and my Uncle took me in there a few times in the early 1980's and remember it as you do Wisewood. I was facinated by the bowling green but as you say it was as neglected as the pub's interior.

We also used to go in the Ball on Upwell Street mainly because the "lounge" was always completely empty. My last few vists to Sheffield I thought the Ball had closed down but seems to have been renovated. Anyway I found this old postcard of some old cottages behind the Ball which would also be behind the Bowling Green?