Sheffield Lane Top Tram Terminus

RichardB

My old neck of the woods. The street lighting is just a normal bulb...and not the "sodium " lights installed in the late 1950s. There is a Ford Thames van, a mark 2 Vauxhall Velox car, Joan Knight's ladies fashion shop, "Ma " Johnson's newsagents, sweets and cig shop, Albert Charles(???) green grocers and an "unimproved" Co_Op....as well as the "Pheasant" pub. Looking at the time on the clock and the lads walking past ,I reckon they are from Firth Park Grammar School, just down the hill to the right, where lessons finished at 3.55 pm.. The one wearing a cap was probably a first or second year, as wearing them after that was looked down upon by ones peers! What year was it?...well, the Mk2 Velox was manufactured from 51 to 57 .

Tram 189 is indeed still with us, passed it peeping out of the depot at Crich today. According to a potted history on it, the tram was withdrawn shortly after the Middlewood / Ecclesall route closed (1954?). Attached is a picture of it taken earlier this year during the re-launch of Sheffield 510.

Nigel L

Tram 189 is indeed still with us, passed it peeping out of the depot at Crich today. According to a potted history on it, the tram was withdrawn shortly after the Middlewood / Ecclesall route closed (1954?). Attached is a picture of it taken earlier this year during the re-launch of Sheffield 510.

Nigel L

Thanks for that nice photograph, I loved that type of tram, but just a question for you, should the roof really be painted sky blue?

I'm told this is in as near original condition as the day it arrived from Sheffield in the 1960's. The domed roof cars certainly had blue roofs, so probably correct, early pictures at Crich show it as such.

Nigel L

Hello Lemmy117

Thanks for the information and great photograph, It is many years since I saw a Sheffield tram and had no recollection of that roof colour.

189 was withdrawn from service in April 1958 (I have seen both 4th April and 12th April quoted) and presented to the Tramway Museum Society at that time. It was used on a Light Railway Transport League tour on 30th March 1958 which traversed just about every available bit of track and which was much photographed.

It was stored in Sheffield until the last day procession in which it took part, carrying members of the Tramway Museum Society. It was moved to Crich at the end of October 1960.

Thanks for the information, Lemmy117, andy1702 and madannie77, she is certainly a beauty and was my favourite type of tram. I never took to the Roberts cars which I think (dodgy memory) we called Streamliners.