Help Needed - List Of Works In Sheffield?

Guest Will Cutler

Guest Will Cutler

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a definitive list of the great industrial works that have ever existed in Sheffield, either still standing, have been converted to flats (shame) or are even long gone!

Does anyone know where I can find it, or point me in the direction of someone that may?

Thanks in advance,

Will Cutler

Guest Barbara M

I know I keep waffling on about the Sheffield Indexers but there is so much info on their website, click on Site Map & scroll down to Sheffield Steelworks,there is quite a list of old manufacturing industries in Sheffield & much more !!

Or you could try google under Works in Sheffield .

Good Luck !!

Guest Will Cutler

Thanks Barbara,

I'll have a good look through the indexers, we have tried the Google option with no success.

Thanks

Will

For starters, I would recommend the following publication, which presumably, can still be found within the Sheffield City Library Collections.-

PAWSON & BRAILSFORD'S Illustrated Guide to Sheffield & Neighbourhood. Including the early history of the town, an account of the public bodies, and the public religious & other edifices, a description of the manufactures, sketches of the surrounding...., Sheffield. Pawson & Brailsford ND [1862].

Taylor, John. [Pawson & Brailsford]: [PAWSON & BRAILSFORD'S] Illustrated Guide to Sheffield and The Surrounding District. , Sheffield Pawson & Brailsford 1879.

Or indeed, any of the other later editions.

Any company that was worth mentioning at the time would seem to have been captured in these occasional publications, which incidentally, also contain illustrations of some of the major works premises.

Guest Barbara M

There will be some in here Will - SH Link

Wow vox.....what a great link , I didn't know this existed .

Please thank the people concerned with compiling it , it must have taken a lot of work , I shall save this file for future referance.

This is one of reasons why Sheffield History is so good ....all these hidden gems !!

Just been using Brian Tweedales "Sheffield Directory", he has amassed a great deal. A 2014 publication is in the reference library

Hello Will

Look at the Sheffield archives website go to collections then from the list steel industry.

At the bottom of the page download a pdf file iron and steel records.

It lists Name and addresses of a load of steel firms in Sheffield.

Hope it is of some use to you

Pete