5 Questions

Guest Keeton

In my family history search I have at the moment 4 questions which some of you may be able to help me with (hopefully)!

1. Any information of the school Doris HEATON was head of prior to 1951(born 1899)  and any info post 1951 after her marriage to Charles KEETON. They had lived I Derbyshire, Guernsey and Isle of Man.

2.Any information at all of Robert EADES, master butcher of 340 and 336 Attercliffe Common until death in 1883. This continued to be a butcher's shop (340 Attercliffe Common until at least 1905). Robert EADES also had shops in the Wicker, Verdun Street, Park as well as Attercliffe. Also had an abattoir in the cattle market.

3. Where can I find Burngreave cemetery records?

4. Also, where can I find the Brunswick Chapel, South Street, records?

5. How do I find information of Lay Preachers in the Attercliffe/ Endcliffe areas?

Anything, no matter how small will be most useful.

Thanks from sunny Redcar, North Yorkshire.

Mr Eades was assaulted in Wakefield in 1869 - possibly he was not 100% the innocent party:

He was the major creditor of David Godley, a bankrupt Carbrook Street butcher, In July 1876. Eades was owed £90 4s 4d (out of a total £139 owed) and there was concern that Godley would abscond with the remains of his property, as Godley had held sales of proerty on his premises. Eades was awarded immediate possession of Godley's property, and in August was made trustee of all the property (London Gazette August 8th)

In 1880 a close of land at Attercliffe in the occupation (not ownership) of Robert Eades was sold. The land was 6a 0r 32p of ex Common land.

In October of 1880 Mr Eades was wrongly struck off the list of voters, as his solicitor had presented the worng deeds. He was reinstated as a voter after the correct deeds were produced.

In February 1883 Mr Eades was fined 20s for a Weights and Measures offence - his 7lb and 10lb weights were light by several drams.

There are photos of the inside of his shop at 340 Attercliffe Common on Picture Sheffield, and the tiles from inside the shop are now at Weston Park Museum:

refs s27969, s27970, s 27971 Pic Sheffield - Interior of 340 Attercliffe Common

Guest Barbara M

In my family history search I have at the moment 4 questions which some of you may be able to help me with (hopefully)!

1. Any information of the school Doris HEATON was head of prior to 1951(born 1899) and any info post 1951 after her marriage to Charles KEETON. They had lived I Derbyshire, Guernsey and Isle of Man.

2.Any information at all of Robert EADES, master butcher of 340 and 336 Attercliffe Common until death in 1883. This continued to be a butcher's shop (340 Attercliffe Common until at least 1905). Robert EADES also had shops in the Wicker, Verdun Street, Park as well as Attercliffe. Also had an abattoir in the cattle market.

3. Where can I find Burngreave cemetery records?

4. Also, where can I find the Brunswick Chapel, South Street, records?

5. How do I find information of Lay Preachers in the Attercliffe/ Endcliffe areas?

Anything, no matter how small will be most useful.

Thanks from sunny Redcar, North Yorkshire.

Have you tried Sheffield Indexers , there is a lot of info on this website re records etc .

Good luck !

Guest binsted71

This is from the 'Sheffield Indexers' (http://sheffieldindexers.com/index.html ) site.

EADES, Robert (Butcher, age 58).
Died at Carbrook; Buried on March 6, 1883 in Consecrated ground;
Grave Number 3797, Section D of Attercliffe Cemetery Cemetery, Sheffield

The Burngreave Cemetery burial transcriptions are on this site too.

http://www.friendsofburngreavecemetery.btck.co.uk

Thank you all for the time and effort for answers to my questions. Unfortunately, there is nothing new for me but the information does confirm what I already have.

I have used Sheffield Indexers but apart from my grandfather and great grandfather's burials have not, as yet, helped me.

Any idea how I may find out about Doris HEATON?

Once again thanks to all.

Thanks for your efforts. Doris was born and bred in Sheffield and was a spinster on marriage to Charles KEETON. She's just disappeared off the radar but would love to know which school she was head of. Sheffield Council, unfortunately, have been less than helpful. I thought they would have a data base of past heads.

Oh well!

From a thread on Sheffield Forum: "I was at Springfield School aound 1937 until I left in 1944,Miss Keeton was headmistress of the Junior School, and Mr Kinman the headmaster the senior school."

Edit - just realised the date/name is wrong