Sheffield Trams - 54 Years On

Lemmy117

Couple of pictures of Sheffield 510 taken at Crich on the 8th October 2014, 54 years after the official closure. The weather was true to form, it rained all day, in fact we finished early to to thunder, lightning and torrential rain!

I was lucky enough to be the driver of 510 for the day.

Nigel L

Couple of pictures of Sheffield 510 taken at Crich on the 8th October 2014, 54 years after the official closure. The weather was true to form, it rained all day, in fact we finished early to to thunder, lightning and torrential rain!

I was lucky enough to be the driver of 510 for the day.

Nigel L

Hi Nigel, how I envy you! In the 50s we would spend many happy hours riding Sheffield's large fleet of trams. Roberts cars were our favourite, they really were the Ultimate tramcar. Coming home from school on the Wadsley Bridge route, we would try and be in the front vestibule as we passed under the railway bridge and holding tight as the tram took the left hander at speed opposite Claywheels Lane. With a full load of kids on board there must have been at least sixteen tons of tram hurtling around that bend, what an unforgettable experience. Super Tram eat your heart out! W/E.

Still a thing of beauty, even in the rain! I have seen this tram at Crich a few years ago, but the vivid memory which your pictures evoke is of travelling in 506 with my late father on the last morning of operation in 1960. We went right the way to Vulcan Road, and straight back again as there appeared to be nothing of interest in Vulcan Road.