The Mooney Gang Of The 20's

triple a

I know there are some really old threads mentioning the Mooney gang but came across this which is a good read

http://www.newenglishreview.org/David_Hamilton/Protecting_the_Public_from_Gangs%3A_Sheffield_in_the_1920s/

My family has a story about a man getting on to a tram my Grandfather was driving and refused to pay as he was in the Mooney gang. They threw him onto the tracks and a policeman came and they told him he refused to pay or get off. The policeman said "he's also a bloody liar- he is off now"

Any other stories?

I remember my mother telling us they used to keep away from the Corporation Street

area because the gang where known to fight with " cellar grates " down there and it

was well worth keeping out of the way.

My Mum worked in a sweet shop opposite the Magnet at Southey Green. It was one of the pubs frequented by one of the gangs, and in the days of Sillito, one day a police van backed up to the pub door, several huge coppers piled out, two stood by the back of the van and the rest went into the pub. Bodies started flying out the door, to be picked up by the two standing by the van and tossed inside, then all the policemen reappeared, got in the van and drove off.