Sheffield Live Tv

SteveHB

This programme can only be received by viewers getting their reception from the Crosspool transmitter, or who subscribe to Virgin Cable.

I would think the vast majority of Sheffield viewers have their aerials aligned on Emley Moor and can't receive the local TV programme.

I've never lived in a house with the aerial pointed at Crosspool.

It would seem that when Leeds gets a local TV station it will be transmitted by Emley Moor.

'So that's tune in to Leeds Local TV and find out what's happening in Leeds, or tune in to Look North and find out what's happening in Leeds. :(

HD

It would seem that when Leeds gets a local TV station it will be transmitted by Emley Moor.

'So that's tune in to Leeds Local TV and find out what's happening in Leeds, or tune in to Look North and find out what's happening in Leeds. :(

HD

:) Shame but true HD.

Must admit to liking Harry though. In fact the whole team are quite personable.

If you live over East Bank Hill like I do and thousands of other Sheffielders do, you can't receive Crosspool or Emley Moor at all, our aerials are aligned with Belmont in Lincolnshire. That means we never get local news at all, and because the aerial faces continental Europe in times of high solar activity. high air pressure and sporadic E propagation conditions we can't receive anything due to interference from ZDF in Germany. (sometimes a better picture from Germany than from the BBC, but unreliable). Having suffered this for years we subscribed to Virgin Media cable TV, before it was Virgin Media, when it was still TeleWest. Once that was done all our TV was available in high quality, even HDTV, all the time, with the correct local versions of the news as well.

I could pick up Sheffield Live on its first day of broadcasting, on Virgin Media channel 159.

To be honest, at present there has been very little in the way of programmes and nothing really interesting worth watching, - so if you can't get it yet because you are on Freeview and can't get the Crosspool transmitter even within the City of Sheffield then don't worry, - at present you aren't missing much.

Given that they started broadcasting last month those times for the 2 year licence and the 3 year funding just don't seem to add up. Looks as though there is something funny going on here in terms of business and finance.

Most digital TV's will pick up the stations of other transmitters, but many have a selection option for the regions. Some TV's put these extra channels at the top end of the guide and numbers so they might appear as channel 800 or higher!

If you are in an area that picks up Emily Moor as it main signals then the Sheffield Crosspool might be shown on these higher channels instead of channel 3 for the Sheffield news.

Here's a strange one for you though. My video recorder will pick up Sheffield Live, though My TV on the same aerial won't. I have tried retuning but when it gets to channel 55 - what Sheffield Live is on - it goes past it and adds no services. The TV will not allow you to manual tune channel 55 either. Only the channels that the auto tune has picked up!

The HD services are even worse. BBC One HD doesn't transmit any local news services. You get a clock counting down till the next programme. ITV1 HD broadcasts from Emily Moor the Granada service!

That's like going back before Yorkshire TV started!

In case your wondering why there's no HD Film Four service on Freeview, it's because it's locked into being paid for on the Virgin service. However you will have noticed that Channel Four have put one of the other "rubbish" extra channels they have on as a plus one HD service. This means that when they can release Film Four from the paid for contract they have a spare channel to put it on!

It is because of all this digital messing about that accurate time signals from the BBC (the pips and longer tone) are now totally useless. There is an approximate, but variable, 2 second time lag between receiving a good old fashioned analogue signal and its digital equivalent. Don't do any accurate timekeeping or clock setting using digital services because they are wrong. To get that these days you either need the old analogue, or a dedicated time signal service.

Andy. We are on Freeview, however what you say about the weather might be killing the signal, though it doesn't explain why the Panasonic recorder we have picks it up clear as a bell. I'll try and retune the TV when we get some clear weather. I only retuned it because Film Four +1 disappeared and a message came up saying if the TV picks up Freeview HD signals you can get it back otherwise it's gone for good. Well our set can so I retuned and it lost channel 8.

DaveH yes I know what you mean about the delay. Freeview is slightly quicker than Sky as my neighbour who's a bit deaf had the telly on loud and she watches Sky for the TV all the time having no aerial for Freeview. In the summer I was out in the back garden and could hear Emmerdale start in our house then a fraction later on the Sky of our neighbour's TV.

Having watched bits of Sheffield Live, I can say it's a bit amateur in it's production. Even the radio side of it. It's very much in the style of those pirate stations of the 90's. For example a DJ will be playing a record and then say something in the middle of it then a minute later say something else. You know something like this:.... Music playing.. "just saying high to Paul".... (music)... "really good track".... (music)... top beat on this one... etc....

The Crosspool transmitter or should that be Tapton Hill, broadcasts it on channel 55 (746.0MHZ) along with QVC Extra and Pop. So if you scan your Freeview and nothing is added when it reaches 55 then you can't get it. Mind you it does say only 100 watts power!

There's a guide here for it http://www.ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Tapton_Hill

I wouldn't attempt to retune while this fog is around. On some boxes and sets you have to select the option for South Yorkshire, as selecting the Yorkshire could cancel out the services from the other transmitters. Also some TV's and Boxes have memory that don't erasure all channels or pick up new services, unless you do it manually.

I had one TV that had only an allowance of 100 stations. Since I had a good aerial it had to choose between 300 channels!

This show is a waste of space, Sheffield is far more interesting than this show represents.

It mostly consist of music with Sheffield photos and a very poor news round up.

They do have basketball on occasionally which is good for the fans.To be honest I always ignore this show, if you cant get it, don't worry, your are not missing anything!!

Come on Sheffield we can do better than this!!

On 22/05/2018 at 18:23, andy1702 said:

They could have done a lot better Thorntons Girl. A year before they launched loads of people potched programmes to them (including yours truely) but nobody heard anything back for many months. Then we found out (weren't told but found out) that they had commissioned a few pilots. Eventually I went to an event where they screened the pilots and wished I hadn't! I'll never forget something called 'Peak Signal To Noise', which was nothing more than flashes of random images and ear-bleeding white noise. This piece of 'art' went on for over an hour! In the end I made sure I cut all ties with Sheffield Live (I used to front a lunch time radio show) a few weeks before the TV channel went on air, mainly because I could see the car-crash coming!

It's interesting that nobody ever mentions SLTV now, even in Sheffield! My guess is their audience is a big fat zero! Meanwhile I switched to being a youtube content creator, which commands a much bigger global audience.

I would love it to be relevant to the people of Sheffield and like you said you tried to send in ideas and articles. It sometimes has music with Sheffield photos which is interesting but more often than not it is pointless, not anything we, as Sheffielders can relate too.It could be so worthwhile if run by people actually listening to what we want. Andy, why dont you suggest yourself to run it or the managers of this site, you would all do a fabulous job, with your knowledge of Sheffield past and present. I would vote for you all!!

To be honest I'd not have anything to do with Sheffield Live - it's a dead duck and seems to be rudderless which is a great shame as it could be a real asset to the city if it was steered correctly and more proactive work was done to get more interesting content on there.

Youtube is the way forward  (I'm running several channels on there) and I reckon I'll be doing way more Sheffield content on that platform.