Doorway Thing

SteveHB

Guest Barbara M

Not that obvious unless you take a close look, but there is a clue as to which way the door opens.

attachicon.gifdoor holder.jpg

Right fair enough Steve but the hook is not long enough to reach the catch in the middle of the door ,if it is a catch , looks like a spyhole to me , if you look carefully you can see where the hook has been banging against the door ......there is quite a mark .

Also in the first picture there is a white edgeing up the right hand side , past the handle, and up over the top, this looks like a door edge to stop the door going inwards & to take an internal lock of some sort .

I like the idea of Ukelele Ladys , is the hook nothing to do with anything & the doorway had a security grill at some time as the the " Doorway Thing " looks pretty old to me !!

Anybody else got any ideas ?

Right fair enough Steve but the hook is not long enough to reach the catch in the middle of the door ,if it is a catch , looks like a spyhole to me , if you look carefully you can see where the hook has been banging against the door ......there is quite a mark .

As HD and Stuart said in another post, it's to do with perspective.

It's a wide door - so 2'9"ish, maybe 3'. The reveal is the depth of a step plus some more, so it is probably at least 18" or more. Given that there must be an inch or two of frame on the left hand side, then the door will open to greater than 90 degrees.

Ample to engage the hook into the eye methinks.

If anyone is passing would it be possibly to check the surrounding stones and the pavement to see If there are any small filled in holes. If a policeman passes just look nonchalant, he may think you are '' casing the joint''.

I am thinking of the post by ukelele lady, if it was meant to hold something presumably there must have been other fittings.

A purely speculative suggestion maybe, but could it have been associated with some old-fashioned type of mechanical door bell?

You pulled a rod, or a wire on this side of door, which connected through the wall, to a bell, or some such affixed to the other side of the wall?

Just a thought though, as I do not really know, but then again, I cannot think of any other kind of door furniture that might explain its presence so high upon the wall.