Any Info On Building In Holly Street?

duckweed

West Street was a good place for a pub crawl in the 60's. Red Lion, Wharncliffe, Saddle, West Street Hotel, Bea Hive I think? and there my memory fails me or I had too much to drink. We often finished at the pub at the top of Fitzxwlliam Street or if we were doing really well back down Division Street.

For many years these premises belonged to J. W. Northend, printers.

The front right hand end of the building was extensively damaged by enermy action in WW2, see Picture Sheffield S01286. It was repaired and you can hardly see the join.

They were still there in the 1960's and possibly the 1970's but I can recall the place being converted to a grill type of place where the meals were served on very hot cast iron griddles.

It seems to have been a bar in more recent times.

HD

For many years these premises belonged to J. W. Northend, printers.

The front right hand end of the building was extensively damaged by enermy action in WW2, see Picture Sheffield S01286. It was repaired and you can hardly see the join.

They were still there in the 1960's and possibly the 1970's but I can recall the place being converted to a grill type of place where the meals were served on very hot cast iron griddles.

It seems to have been a bar in more recent times.

HD

Thank you HD, I did not know about that.

There used to be a couple of photos of the damage in the reception area which was on the corner behind the tram stop. It was rebuilt when the place became a bar after Northends left.

I spent quite a lot of time around there from about 1980 until they moved, I still have some of the historical books they printed too.

Andrews, the school shop, was around that area somwhere.... I used to love that shop !!

The entrance to Andrews was up a few steps on the right hand side of Holly Lane above Northends.

My first memory of the place was when I was about five years old. My baby brother got hold of my school edition of "Janet and John" and ripped some pages out.

I can remember a trip on the tram with my mother one Saturday morning, to buy a replacement.

My next trip there was about eleven years later to purchase a very expensive scientific slide rule that I needed for my studies.

HD

If you look up on Picture Sheffield you can see the line of buildings continued from the old pub for another 2 buildings so no frontage round the corner in 1899.

If you look up on Picture Sheffield you can see the line of buildings continued from the old pub for another 2 buildings so no frontage round the corner in 1899.

As I suggested here Duckweed, West Street has been widened. The buildings on the left (out of town) have gone and have been replaced with what's there today. (narrower than the original) Effectively bringing the pub almost to the junction with West Street.

Here it is in the 50's (OS map 2) after the alterations.

Here's 1890 over-layed with 1950's which gives an idea of what was where and when. (1890 in red)

West St considerably wider by 1950's.

Here's an insurance plan of the Red Lion block from 1896, and an aerial photo from 1939. West Street was 43 feet wide at that point in 1896.

Any advances on it being R for restaurant?

It wouldn't stand for Restaurant, as businesses come and go, it's more like the name of the original owner of the building.

The Corporation paid £1350 in 1901 to the trustees of William Frederick Dixon, for their freehold interests in three sales shops and dwelling-houses in West Street at the corner of Holly Street, for widening. The Corporation had been buying up numerous properties, but demolitions in West Street did not start until October 1911, and it was expected that the single tram track could then be doubled up.

From 1901 directory:

From 1905 directory:

The premises were missing from the 1911 directory